Motoring Discussion > BMW - BMW SatNav
Thread Author: Paul Robinson Replies: 40

BMW - BMW SatNav - Paul Robinson
I'm considering a 3 Series. Just had a test drive this morning. The demo car was a 320i M Sport. The SatNav screen wasn't displaying speed limits and the guy said that's only available as a £300 option - is that correct?
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
I assume that is the "old" 320? There is a new model, which it appears is only available in 320d or 330i

Anyway, yes the speed limits thing is an option, even on my 540i
Yes, it's the 'old' one - I'd want an estate and the new one's not available for some time...

BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
Its very weird, in the G30/31 it comes as part of an optional driver assistance package. However, it exists as standard because when in Eco mode, it brings up speed limits and roundabout warnings as part of the eco driving advice in the drivers display.

May not in the F31, as it has the older idrive, probably will in G21 which will have idrive 7 and the newer driver display.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Bobby
Four models in one post.... impressive :)
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
Damn could have got 6 in there.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.
Anyway, yes the speed limits thing is an option, even on my 540i

They can be hacked if you want to risk it.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Pat
I have always said that I'm happy to laugh at myself as well as laugh at others so I have a confession to make.

Last weekend I was working in Wisbech and there are two sets of roadworks between home and work both having a speed limit on them.

It intrigued me why the V90 kept flashing on the dashboard to tell me I was exceeding that limit at 5 am on an empty road.

How did it know when the limit was just a temporary one and eventually I got a bit annoyed with it trying to tell me what to do.

I assumed it must be the GPS in the satnav that knew the temporary limit but couldn't work out how.

Anyway standing there in front of 15 drivers trying to look so super knowledgeable and efficient I was talking about the new smart tachograph coming in from March 2019 with GPS that will track and record drivers every 3 hours when I decided to relate this tale about the V90.

Some smart ass lorry driver decided to explain to me that there is a camera in the block behind the rearview mirror that reads the road signs..........that's my street cred shot as a trainer then:) :)

Pat
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.
I believe that my old V40 used to "read" speed limit signs and GPS
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
>> I believe that my old V40 used to "read" speed limit signs and GPS

In a V40, I think speed limits were more of an aspiration than a limit......
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.

In a V40, I think speed limits were more of an aspiration than a limit......

My T5 would pull the skin off a few rice puddings - 256 bhp..
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
>> Anyway, yes the speed limits thing is an option, even on my 540i
>>
>> They can be hacked if you want to risk it.

I have the first service in 13 days, the coding kit arrives in 14.........
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
>> Anyway, yes the speed limits thing is an option, even on my 540i
>>
>> They can be hacked if you want to risk it.

I have the first service in 13 days, the coding kit arrives in 14.........

Several options need tweaking, not least the "ok you bought folding mirrors, but you can only use them under 7mph"
 BMW - BMW SatNav - tyrednemotional
BMW options lists appear to be quite odd.

My X1 has speed limits on the (bog-standard) satnav.
They are also linked to the speed limiter via "speed limit assist" which will suggest a new limit on changes (if the speed limiter function is in use) which can be set by a single click of the speed up/down switch.

All that is in the manual - the fact that the forward facing camera (which can be used for various functions if you specify options - I didn't) has speed sign detection, which is enabled, and enhances the "assist" function in temporary speed limits, isn't. Took me a bit of time to notice the latter.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero

>> They are also linked to the speed limiter via "speed limit assist" which will suggest
>> a new limit on changes (if the speed limiter function is in use) which can
>> be set by a single click of the speed up/down switch.

Thats part of an optional driver assist package.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - tyrednemotional
I have the "driver assist" package, as at the time it was the best way of getting (the non-standard) cruise control, but the given function wasn't described as being incorporated in that (and indeed the described contents of the driver assist package for the X1 has varied over the years).
I've only had 2 cars with built in Sat Nav and had assumed they would all display speed limits. As this is obviously not the case, it would be interesting if people that have cars with built in Sat Nav could reply and say if their's does display speed limits?
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Lygonos
The built-in Garmin set up in my Merc gives the limit but doesn't read signs.

Gives very accurate real-time traffic (sent me through Glasgow city centre on Thursday evening, and circumnavigated the city coming home Friday evening) but annoyingly needs SD card updates for map changes (eg no new Forth Crossing on my map which presumably dates back to end 2016)

BMW - BMW SatNav - Fullchat
Kia Sportage - Yes.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.
BMW 335 Touring..No
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.
Mazda MX5 hasn't either.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
2018 BMW G31, no normally, yes in eco mode but only if you have your foot on the accelerator. Data is from the sat nav,

I don't know why you are getting hung up on it tho, it is frankly a useless feature. Where do your eyes spend most of the time, glued to the dash to spot speed limit warnings or through the windscreen where the speed limits are prominently displayed. What is more accurate, whats on the road in front of you, or a 6 month old sat nav update?

Of more use is live traffic to the sat nav. The BMW is pretty good in that respect
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Dec 18 at 12:19

>> I don't know why you are getting hung up on it tho,

I have been caught a few times for speeding .....
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
The speed limit display is not going to save you.

THIS however will

www.cameralert.com/

Excellent piece of kit, as up to date as you like, cheap and accurate.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.
Zero ? You......drive.....in......ecomode.....? Gulp!
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Runfer D'Hills
My 2016 Merc doesn't have speed limit display on its Comand system. But, in fairness, Mercedes drivers don't need it really, we just waft about in splendid isolation from the "others" in their Tommy Tryhard BMWs and Audis...

It's a bit like a Karma thing, we're just on a much higher level I suppose, sigh...

;-))))
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero

>> It's a bit like a Karma thing, we're just on a much higher level I
>> suppose, sigh...
>>
>> ;-))))

Yes - we call it the alzheimer's level
>> Yes - we call it the alzheimer's level

Thought that was Hondas?

;-)
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
>> >> Yes - we call it the alzheimer's level
>>
>>
>> Thought that was Hondas?
>>
>> ;-)

Cant remember, at least my phone tells me where my car is.
Shouldn't be too difficult to find though, what with the funny colour and so on?
;-)
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Zero
I did, briefly till I got used to the idea of sub 30mpg. In truth eco mode is very very sluggish indeed.

I mostly use Adaptive. Its very good, happy to doodle about, and combined with adaptive suspension, happy to drop the box a few cogs on its own and tighten up the springs (steel front - air back) when approaching a corner at pace.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Old Navy
My Jazz is a non nav version (no maps). All current versions of the car read speed signs and some other "Red circle" signs. No overtaking for example. The speed sign reader can be linked to one of the speed limiters. I have only used the speed limiters to check they work, I prefer cruise control. The speed sign display is handy if you haven't seen a sign recently and there are no repeaters.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - CGNorwich
“speed sign display is handy if you haven't seen a sign recently and there are no repeaters.”

Aren’t you by definition therefore in a 30 mph zone?
>> “speed sign display is handy if you haven't seen a sign recently and there are
>> no repeaters.”
>>
>> Aren’t you by definition therefore in a 30 mph zone?
>>

Not in rural bits of up here, it could be 40, 50, or 60, changing frequently with semi rural bits having camera vans. Try the A1 between Newcastle and Edinburgh, or A68.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 2 Dec 18 at 18:24
All roads with a speed limit other than 30 mph have repeater signs even in Scotland. The only exemptions are very short stretches of road namely.

a) is subject to a speed limit of 20 mph and is shorter than 200 metres;

(b) is subject to a speed limit of 30 mph, is shorter than 200 metres and does not have a system of carriageway lighting furnished by lamps lit by electricity;

(c) is subject to a speed limit of 40 mph and is shorter than 250 metres

(d) is subject to a speed limit of 50 mph and is shorter than 350 metres; or

(e) carriageway road or a motorway.is subject to a speed limit of 60 mph, is shorter than 400 metres and is a dual carriageway.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Manatee
NSLs, if unlit, don't have repeaters IIRC, although that does make them fail safe.

Judging a speed limit by the absence of something, which may be absent even when it is supposed to be present, isn't an exact science.

Repeaters must be a popular present for significant birthdays, because they are fairly sporadic round here. That's before allowing for overgrown hedges. At the maximum distance apart, they aren't exactly frequent either. In the 50 limits now common on rural A roads, they can be 700m apart.

So I think Pat's point stands, FWIW, notwithstanding the legal position.

I'm not suggesting that we should have more frequent repeaters, I hate road signs in general, but as a system they are not that good.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - R.P.
Lots of repeaters have gone missing, overgrown or worn out since the age of austerity - always worthwhile checking signs conform to required standards if you get a ticket.
CGN obviously lives and drives in an ideal world where everything complies with the rules, there are no missing or obscured signs and it is always daylight.
CGN lives in a world where he tries to be aware of his surroundings and understand regulations. I find iife simpler that way.
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Pat
V90 yes to both.

Pat
 BMW - BMW SatNav - Crankcase
Renault Zoe yes
Volvo S60 yes
Ford Focus yes
Latest Forum Posts