Motoring Discussion > Tesco / VW electric charging Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 27

Tesco / VW electric charging - Bobby
So I mention in a thread yesterday about the merits of VW Golf GTE plug in hybrid, and today this gets announced.

They following this site?? :)

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46386858
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Crankcase
Nice, and hope it works. But in other existing supermarkets, they tend to put the chargers near the doors (because it's easier/cheaper to get the cables there) and so all the parking places are filled with non-electric cars permanently. And woe betide you, from experience, if you ask someone to move.

Add that today's bigger batteries will charge by a very small amount at 7kw in one shopping period*, it's one of those things that looks nice on paper but I don't think is going to persuade many to change from traditionally fuelled cars.

*When I had the Zoe, with a smaller battery than is available now, using the Sainsbury's chargers for an hour - a long shop for us - would put on perhaps ten miles worth of range. I suppose it's better than nothing.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - commerdriver
Might encourage people to go there rather than a different supermarket, one step at a time, not a huge one in itself
For cars like the Golf GTE that only have around 20 or so mile range, that charge would effectively be half full for electric use.

And if it’s free as well why wouldn’t you?
 Tesco / VW electric charging - VxFan
"Volkswagen has two electric vehicles on the market in the UK, the e-Golf and the e-Up"

Is the latter primarily for Yorkshire car drivers?

Interesting as I look at the Golf GTE and Kia Niro as PHEV with small ranges, along comes the Kona EV as shown on other thread.

Technology seems to be moving fast now and when you know that the ultimate aim is only to have full electric vehicles on the road, you do wonder the wisdom in buying a PHEV just now?
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Zero
>> Interesting as I look at the Golf GTE and Kia Niro as PHEV with small
>> ranges, along comes the Kona EV as shown on other thread.
>>
>> Technology seems to be moving fast now and when you know that the ultimate aim
>> is only to have full electric vehicles on the road, you do wonder the wisdom
>> in buying a PHEV just now?

Why? millions are still buying diesel cars, let alone petrol cars. When do you think the sweet spot for EV will arrive, the spot where the infrastructure is in place, where 400 miles with a 15 minute charge is commonplace and available everywhere? You seriously going to delay a car purchase till that arrives? you'll be driving a shed by then if you do.

Of course buying a PHEV is a good idea right now.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 30 Nov 18 at 22:57
 Tesco / VW electric charging - jc2
More likely a coffin than a shed!
 Tesco / VW electric charging - bathtub tom
Are any EVs capable of having a tow bar fitted?
I wonder if anyone's thought of bunging a diesel generator in a trailer? Red diesel?
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Duncan
>> Are any EVs capable of having a tow bar fitted?
>> I wonder if anyone's thought of bunging a diesel generator in a trailer? Red diesel?
>>

That's what the BMW i3 has done*... well sort of. It has a lawn mower* engine under the bonnet for when the battery goes flat*

The statements with * are not totally accurate, but an approximation.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - jc2
They're called HYBRIDS! Usually series hybrid where the battery drives the wheels and a IC motor charges the battery(Prius etc.).
The I3 is not a hybrid, its a pure ev, but can be purchased with a range extender.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - bathtub tom
Just a thought. Would it be illegal to use red diesel in a generator if it's charging an EV?
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Old Navy
Good luck with arguing that one with HMRC in court.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - No FM2R
>>Would it be illegal to use red diesel in a generator if it's charging an EV?

As I understand it, if the generator was travelling with the car then it is regarded as part of the car's drive system and so you would be breaking the rules.

If you were using the generator at home to charge the car's batteries, then that wouldn't be an issue. Don't think it would be very good though, you'd probably be better off buying a diesel car.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Cliff Pope

>>
>> As I understand it, if the generator was travelling with the car then it is
>> regarded as part of the car's drive system and so you would be breaking the
>> rules.
>>

Would that only apply if the electricity was being used coincidentally with its generation? Or when moving?
Supposing you charged the battery only when parked?
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Pat
>>, they tend to put the chargers near the doors (because it's easier/cheaper to get the cables there)<<

That explains why all the Blue Badge spaces have been moved further away then.

I noticed this is the case at all Motorway Services, Eurotunnel Terminals as well as shopping areas.

I assumed it was because all EV drivers were old farts and couldn't manage to walk far:)

Pat
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Cliff Pope
I often had a similar problem when I was using LPG. Other drivers didn't seem to see the LPG point as a real pump, and tended to treat it as a parking space while they used the loos or went in the shop.
With so few LPG cars about, it does make a convenient parking space.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Lygonos
EV spaces should be well away from the entrance.

Worst d-heads are the EV owners who park in them and don't even plug in.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - sooty123
Do many places even sell lpg, I remember it being a thing about 15 years ago but it didn't seem to last.

I don't think I've seen any around our new place since we moved in.
>> Do many places even sell lpg, I remember it being a thing about 15 years
>> ago but it didn't seem to last.
>>
>> I don't think I've seen any around our new place since we moved in.

It does appear to be a dying fuel, none of my nearest 4 garages have LPG pumps.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - sooty123
It does appear to be a dying fuel, none of my nearest 4 garages have
>> LPG pumps.
>>

Just had a look, nearest are 30 minutes north and one 30 minutes south. Bit far to make practical.

I did think about getting one a few years ago but it never added up, the conversation costs were too high.
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Fullchat
We were the LPG Force in Humberside. Even won a Green Fleet award.

Protons were the basic weapon of choice. I'm led to believe it was because Proton were the only company that would maintain their warranty after the conversions (that of course may be Chinese whispers). They did however discover late on that the addition of the heavy tanks took them close to the Maximum Permitted Weight just with a driver in. They played with conversions to the big Volvos and other vehicles but never on a great scale.

All gone now even the LPG tanks were whipped out.
On a similar vein, I read recently that Police Scotland has taken on a fleet of Peugeot 308s but they have now discovered when fully laden with kit, they need to limit the number of officers in it due to weight constraints.
>> On a similar vein, I read recently that Police Scotland has taken on a fleet
>> of Peugeot 308s but they have now discovered when fully laden with kit, they need
>> to limit the number of officers in it due to weight constraints.

They could of course cut down on the bacon sarnies and donuts?
 Tesco / VW electric charging - Old Navy
You missed a trick there Z, deep fried battered Mars bars?
I was thinking generic plod.
Latest Forum Posts