Motoring Discussion > Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 66

Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Lygonos
The base model is now on the US website and I expect will be available in LHD Europe in the next few weeks.

Probably very end 2019* for UK versions (which I guess will be around £32-33k after EV grant)

electrek.co/2019/02/28/tesla-model-3-standard-battery-interior/

*Hyundai have now pulled the Kona EV from their online ordering as 2019's entire allocation is sold. I expect KIA eNiro will go the same way.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 28 Feb 19 at 23:17
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - DP
The article also links to another suggesting that Tesla are enabling these price reductions partly by closing most of their retail outlets to save cost, and switching to an online model. They are also planning to offer a full refund within 7 days and 1,000 miles for any unsatisfied buyers.

I would much prefer to see, touch and drive the car before handing over the money, than buy "blind" with a refund offer, but maybe I'm just old. :-)
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Zero
Based on the Tesla online sales model experience for used Teslas in the states, this is going to be a very very painful buying experience.
This is much more appealing, and will have a proper support network

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VSDvXoabNo
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Shiny
Who would buy a car that takes months to repair everytime something goes wrong or is damaged? www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA/videos
is a youtube channel of a man called Rich rebuilds who has several Teslas he rebuilt from totalled wrecks (writeoffs) and gives a great insight into ownership/repairs/parts/support etc... Put me right off!
to be fair, Rich does buy cars that are written off, and therefore are not supported by Tesla.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Shiny
Yes, but he also covers other owners' stories, such as a man waited 4 months for the title to his car so it sat in his garage 4 months after he bought it and another 3 months for a new windscreen because they didn't have any. Any accident and bodywork damage seems to be a similar wait of months while tweeting at Elon Musk.
If you want an idea of what the after support service is, check out the UK Tesla web site for your nearest service centre. Pretend you live in Newcastle.

The loss of the Gatwick centre to fire is not a disaster, if they lost the Edinburgh one it would be.

Its not like you can take it to any old garage in an emergency.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Mar 19 at 11:13
Parts availability is a big part of the issue. I was talking to a Model S owner from Los Angeles last year who had to wait six weeks for a replacement quarter light glass following a break in, and only got the part then after Musk got personally involved.

The repair shop said that all the other mainstream manufacturers have a 24 hour SLA for glass and body panels.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - zippy
Holding a stock of spare parts costs money.

For a company that is not making a profit and was burning through cash at $6,500 per minute, the likelihood of a large spare-parts stockholding is going to be remote.
>> Holding a stock of spare parts costs money.
>>
>> For a company that is not making a profit and was burning through cash at
>> $6,500 per minute, the likelihood of a large spare-parts stockholding is going to be remote.

An efficient and flexible supply chain shouldn't be tho.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - zippy
>>An efficient and flexible supply chain shouldn't be tho.

But the supply chain will want to be paid for the parts and if Tesla are only ordering what they require for manufacture, the supply chain isn't going to make any extra save for production line overruns.

I guess they can't build on spec and sell to the aftermarket as Tesla will hold the patents, designs etc.

Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Rudedog
Slightly off the original topic bit to do with parts supply chains...

As part of the work I'm helping with on my son's 2009 Polo GTi we need to source a rear exhaust back-box, went to all of the well know exhaust centres (including online)..no luck not available plus not going to get any in..

Went to VW and they don't have one in the UK, ok they went to their European warehouses... no luck none in stock.

It's now on back order from VW Germany, not really sure what that means?? Do they do make small runs of low volume parts??

At this rate it would have been quicker to have a stainless steel one fabricated from one of the performance companies.

Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Boxsterboy
A friend's Tesla was rear-ended recently and they had to wait 5 weeks for a panel behind the bumper to come over from the USA.
To be fair, I had some minor bits of plastic trim in the Beemer broken. It took them 6 weeks to get the bits into the UK.

That could be something to do with my local BMW dealer, who are very probably the most inefficient useless Bunch of disparate individuals ever to be assembled under one glass roof.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Duncan
>> I had some bits of plastic trim in the Beemer broken.
>>

Not that bus again!
>> That could be something to do with my local BMW dealer, who are very probably
>> the most inefficient useless Bunch of disparate individuals ever to be assembled under one glass
>> roof.
>>

No, Cooper Cobham get that prize, from my experience!
>> No, Cooper Cobham get that prize, from my experience!

Exactly you recognise them then.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Mar 19 at 02:04

>> >> No, Cooper Cobham get that prize, from my experience!
>>
>> Exactly you recognise them then.
>>

Do you know of anywhere better? Our 220 needs a service and i prefer to stick to franchised dealers while they are still under warranty. Might take it back down to Hindhead where we got it from.
Barons at hindhead will be my next port of call,. Sytner in Sunningdale are useless apparently and aggressive with it, , and Copper Thames Ditton learned everything they know from Cobham
Well the wagon wasn't ready last night, so I had the 120 long enough for a blast around. Like it a lot, so does Mrs Z......

Anyway rocks up there this morning for a row, to be met with my car having had a full valet, profuse apologies, and a shed load of goodies in the boot.

Pen, Brolly, notebook (paper not electronic) key ring, thermo travel mug, and a winter care pack in a natty white BMW bag, they must have raided the BMW accessory shop.

Total retail value £115.

Cooper must be reading this website......
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - VxFan
>> Cooper must be reading this website......

It's magic.
Just like that
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - tyrednemotional
My X1 is nearing the three years warranty deadline. Other than having an alloy wheel replaced because it was starting to go on one of the radii (I hate diamond cut wheels) it has an unblemished record.

I noted however that one of the rear light clusters was prone to condensation, and this has steadily grown worse until it now has a good conglomeration of water droplets in it.

The dealer is over 20 miles away, so I took the opportunity to call in via a short detour on the way back from walking yesterday.

In less than 5 minutes after walking in, I walked out with an agreement to replace under warranty, and an appointment in just over two weeks to have it done.

I know that's really how it should be, but so often.............
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Bobby
What version of X1 is it you have?
Current shape or previous shape?

...current, Bobby - and the rarer petrol 4wd auto version.
Thoughts on it?

I am severely tempted by a 2.0d xline model around 2-3 years old. I am liking that and the Qashqai tekna auto. Qashqai comes with more toys and would be newer and within warranty, but the BMW auto (which I want for this car) seems to be a lot better than the Qashqai.

Saw a lot of reports of faulty rear light clusters - in fact I think production was halted for a while due to these?
I'm pleased with it. I test drove a diesel (which was OK), but wanted a petrol as I sensed the upcoming diesel "issues", and it was financially neutral for me (at my mileage fuel consumption is offset by lower list price).

The auto is (I believe) the same as the diesel (an Aisin "slush" box) and is pretty good - not the first auto I've driven, but the first I've owned - good enough for me not to revert back to manual in the future.

The current version is a much better car than its predecessor, with better build, better proportions better inside space, etc.

Mine is the 2.0 petrol xLine, which only comes in auto form anyway. I'm very pleased with it, but two specific things to be aware of - the standard seats don't suit everyone (mine has the Sports seats, which are better), and there is a noticeable amount of tyre/road noise - mine isn't on runflats - something that was highlighted in early road tests, and I decided I could live with (I still can).

Even with the petrol I'm getting around 36mpg (indicated) in general running, and low 40s on long runs. I'm light-footed, but not particularly slow.
Re the seats - b-i-l has one and I thought the seat base looked quite short? However a work acquaintance is 6 foot tall and has an X1 with standard seats and says they are fine?

I am only 5'8" so shouldn't expect them to be an issue for me?
...it's all very personal, though the comments about the standard seats are common.

I'm 6'1" and broad. The Sports seats have crumb-catchers, so the length of the base is adjustable.

Only way you'll really know is with a decent test-drive.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Runfer D'Hills
“Broad” ?

Is that the new euphemism replacing “big boned” ?
;-)
...it's the new euphemism for "big enough to thrash smart-a*ses"....

;-)
pean warehouses... no luck none in stock.
>>
>> It's now on back order from VW Germany, not really sure what that means?? Do
>> they do make small runs of low volume parts??
>>
>> At this rate it would have been quicker to have a stainless steel one fabricated
>> from one of the performance companies.

Spare a thought for Mini owners, I was in the BMW dealer this morning* and next door was the mini service desk. I was listening to one end of a telephone conversation.

"We have your car, its going to need a new EGR cooler, its on World Wide stock shortage and we have no idea when we will get one" "No you cant have your car back its a fire safety issue"

GULP

*been given a 120i Msport to doodle around in, wooo what a sweet little ting that is.

>> *been given a 120i Msport to doodle around in, wooo what a sweet little ting
>> that is.

Oh dear, Mrs Zee has just had a drive, and lurves it.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Lygonos
>>Oh dear, Mrs Zee has just had a drive, and lurves it.

With 8 spd auto? Have driven the Sport (ie non-M Sport) variant and it's a very pleasing little motor indeed.

Almost as quick as my hybrid shoebox.

About 20% off on new-car-discount.com

I see drivethedeal has a rather short list of makers now.

Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 5 Mar 19 at 16:52
>> About 20% off on new-car-discount.com
>>
>> I see drivethedeal has a rather short list of makers now.

Yes and Yes I noted that when i went for an indicative price for a 118se
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 6 Mar 19 at 02:04
>> *been given a 120i Msport to doodle around in, wooo what a sweet little ting that is.

Bashed the 5 series again then?

In fairness, the dealer might be trying to drop you a subtle hint about downsizing to something more manageable...

;-))))
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - legacylad
Talking of small Beemers, there’s a chap at the gym I see every morning who drives around in a M240 convertible, white with Coral leather. Looks great in this warm climate ( although a mix of sun & cloud today).
I think I mentioned on an earlier thread a few months ago about my pal who chopped in his 335 convertible for a 440 convertible. He’s still lovin’ it.
>> Talking of small Beemers, there’s a chap at the gym I see every morning who
>> drives around in a M240 convertible, white with Coral leather.

Runs the beauty salon and nail bar does he?
Probably. That’s why he wears those funny gloves and a belt to keep his internal bits properly located. I’ll ask him tomorrow whilst he’s deadlifting 160Kgs and report back.
In due course
Yeah say "my mate zero thinks your a nonce for driving a 220 cabriolet with white leather" Let me know what he says.
See above Zeddo. The badge says M240. White body colour. Nice ( red) Coral leather .
Same engine as your green mangy mutt mobile. I’ll shout it through the window of my rental car as I’m leaving. The E111 is still valid I think....
Regards
As mentioned elsewhere, I am thinking about a used X1.

It pains me when I see one that looks to tick all the boxes and then it either has cream or brown leather!
>> then it either has cream or brown leather!
>>

....Oh dear! "Oyster" leather in mine...... ;-)
Oh dear beige leather in mine

Problem is Bobby, black leather in a beemer is like being in the coal hole, you need to lighten it up.
How does light coloured leather cope with day to day stuff like wearing jeans all the time, sweeties etc etc?
The M Sport version seems to have cloth seats which actually look more appealing .
>> How does light coloured leather cope with day to day stuff like wearing jeans all
>> the time, sweeties etc etc?

16 months and 21k miles of hard use, and i mean hard, its holding up very well, there is the odd dirty mark here and there, and only now am I thinking about getting some leather cleaner on it.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Kevin
>..and only now am I thinking about getting some leather cleaner on it.

My car has Ivory leather interior. Other than getting the grit out of the ruched folds with the vacuum whenever I clean the interior, I just use Gliptone cleaner/conditioner once a year and it's still like new at 100k miles. Even has that new leather smell.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - PeterS
>> How does light coloured leather cope with day to day stuff like wearing jeans all
>> the time, sweeties etc etc?
>> The M Sport version seems to have cloth seats which actually look more appealing .
>>

My BMW has oyster leather, which was standard, and I wear jeans most of the time. I definitely get some transfer of dye, and the seats get noticeably grubby. But, a valet brings them up like new, so I never worry about it. I just have the inside valeted very 3 or 4 months. After 30k miles and two and a half years they still look fine. I prefer cars with a light interior, and am happy with the extra maintenance that requires. Not because they get dirtier, but because you can see the dirt and do something about it. :)

The leather/alcantara seats in the A3 were my favourite I think, and I notice that ‘premium cloth’ is an option on JLR products. I agree that leather is not actually a great choice, upholstery wise. Cloth is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, grippier and, often, more attractive. But leather is seen as premium in the UK :(
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - henry k
>>Problem is Bobby, black leather in a beemer is like being in the coal hole, you need to lighten it up.
I agree with zero re coal hole
My previous two cars had black interiors but the sun roof did compensate a little.
My current car had "Barley" leather etc and is so much nicer.

>>Cloth is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, grippier and, often, more attractive.
My daughters ancient Y2000 Yaris was the then top of the range( CDX?) for extras and came with Velour covered seats.
They sound naff but seem just like new after IIRC 140K.
This is interesting, thanks. I had automatically blocked out any light coloured leathers but guess I better just take a look myself and see one for real.
Also noting that it looks like you can pick up a used X3 for around same money as X1 with similar miles and age.
...I agree with most of the above sentiment. The lighter interior has a much nicer "ambience" than black. Such grubbiness as the seats do pick up (which is not much) is relatively easily addressed by judicious application of cleaner/conditioner. If you're buying at the age you mention, you're going to have first-hand visibility of how the seats stand-up to wear.

There's probably a reason for that generation X3 (now replaced) prices being similar to those of the X1. The X1 is actually a much better 'package'. There's more usable interior space in an X1 than that X3, even though it is smaller on the road. (Mostly due, of course, to the fact that the X1 is primarily FWD, whilst the X3 is primarily RWD).
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Manatee
Dealers use baby wipes to get grubbiness off the leather. Not recommending it, just saying.

Look at many cars with light leather and the driver's seat has a blue film of jeans dye on it.

I buy my one pair of jeans about once every 10 years from Costco and would wear them for lying under the car, not driving it. Otherwise they are for garden work, clearing the ditch out, etc. The last pair cost £11 I think.
My previous car was black with a beige interior and my current one is silver with a black interior.

I can also assure you Bobby that the beige ( leather? ) was easy to keep clean. If anything, the black seats look grubby quicker as most dirt isn't black !

One thing though, the carpets on the car with the beige leather were still black, which I think might have helped in preserving its appearance.
I keep seeing this colour of Qashqai and really like it.

And this would be cheaper than the X1 with more toys (I do like a car with a sunroof)
beta.lookers.co.uk/used-car/nissan/qashqai/1-6-dci-tekna--glass-roof-pack--5dr-xtronic/id/113568
Didn't have you down as Rangers man Bobby !?

;-))
I'm not, but I don't think I would ever have a green car!!

I really like this vivid blue as it is called
It might just be a fixed glass roof.
Pal of mine bought a Qashqai in Spain last year, new one, and when it arrived it was a great big glass roof that didn’t open. He wasn’t a happy conejito.
Yeah its a fixed roof. Thats fine with me. Lets lots of light in.
My Scenics and ix35 had opening sunroofs but with a/c , very rarely actually opened them.
My first Scenic had two opening sunroofs, and no a/c, so they were opened regularly!
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Duncan
>> Oh dear beige leather in mine
>>

I don't know why, but somehow, just somehow, beige seems appropriate for you.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Bromptonaut
>> "We have your car, its going to need a new EGR cooler, its on World
>> Wide stock shortage and we have no idea when we will get one" "No you
>> cant have your car back its a fire safety issue"

There's a saga running over on HJ at moment over that issue. Poster bought car s/h from a non-franchised outfit and thinks they should have known about recall and told him and that his car is diminished in value. He's got a courtesy car from BMW so not immobilised.
 Tesla - $35k Model 3 now available - Rudedog
So it seems that VW do actually make small runs of out-of-stock items (car is 2009), we have just been told that son's rear box has a planned manufacture date of the week beginning 18/03 then being shipped to the UK (no additional cost for this), then probably a couple of hours to fit.

Big thumbs up to VW for such a personalised service!

>> *been given a 120i Msport to doodle around in, wooo what a sweet little ting
>> that is.

Now imagine it with your 540's B58 and ZF8 shoehorned into it. :-)
You mean like my beauty salon, nail bar owning friend whom I see at the gym each morning ?
I haven’t summonsed up the courage yet to pass on Zeros best wishes.
>> You mean like my beauty salon, nail bar owning friend whom I see at the
>> gym each morning ?
>> I haven’t summonsed up the courage yet to pass on Zeros best wishes.

Wimp. maybe you should be giving pedicures.....
Better to be a wimp than have one’s teeth rearranged by 160 Kgs of pig iron
I’m off to look for some queso now.....
Now imagine it with your 540's B58 and ZF8 shoehorned into it. :-)

I can imagine, given less weight I'm sure it would see me off.
Latest Forum Posts