Motoring Discussion > Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul!
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 12

Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Falkirk Bairn
There was a recall on my CRV - it took 1 hour & the keys were handed back to me - FOC.

Whilst waiting the chap in the corner received some painful news re his brakes.
He had been brought in by a breakdown truck. The poor chap had broken down & was surprised to hear that his 5 year old Jazz needed a lot of brake attention - 5 services - the last one in November & only 30K on the clock.

One caliper seized on the NS front to be replaced + pads & discs all round, (rears pitted/scored).

He was taken aback as having had the car serviced about 1200 miles ago that this should happen.

He was unaware that apart from a visual check & some brake cleaner probably nothing, other than brake fluid changes, had been done in all the time he had the car despite forking out some £1000 in the 5 years servicing..

I left before he did but understand that it would be north of £800.

Lack of attention brakes proves expensive.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Bobby
What attention would you expect to do to your brakes? Surely they are purely a replace when needed item?

My Civic has just turned 4 years old, 46000 miles and have just had to replace the front pads. OK its being used daily and rush hour traffic means brakes are used a lot but still don't know what your guy could have done to prevent a seized caliper?

I would be questioning what my service with this dealer has got me in the way of early intervention!
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Manatee
>> What attention would you expect to do to your brakes? Surely they are purely a
>> replace when needed item?

Time was when a full service meant the pads would be taken out, the piston(s) checked for free movement and the slides greased. My indie always did this.

Main dealers don't do it any more. They just check the pad thickness. High mileage cars or drivers who brake all the time may well see pads changed every year or two and if the job is done properly the calipers get the attention they need. Low mileage drivers or people like me who can make a set of pads last years have more problems, usually when the calipers stick in the slides due to having been no more than looked at for years.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - slowdown avenue
honda jazz has the same rear calipers as my hyundai i10 which gave me much trouble recently
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Zero
Time seizes pads and calipers, if you do insufficient miles to wear out a set of pads in 5 years you are going to need a major brake overhaul.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - CGNorwich
>> Time seizes pads and calipers, if you do insufficient miles to wear out a set
>> of pads in 5 years you are going to need a major brake overhaul.
>>

Sounds about right. I do about 12,000 miles a year. and pads lasted just over four years.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Bill Payer
Daughter's Jazz needed new rear pads and discs after one of the rear pads wore away - this was at 3yrs and 24K.

Car hadn't been long serviced but they don't even spray brake cleaner at brakes these days. Rears had been reported as 10% worn but that's based on an on-the-ground observation. It was an inner pad that had worn.

Even worse, she'd noted it was making a strange noise, taken the car to the dealer who had done a health check, said it was fine and sent her on her way with "brakes" on the health check marked as green. Quite how they couldn't hear what I now know to be the acoustic pad wear indicator squealing I have no idea.

I complained to both the dealer and Honda UK - neither appear to give a toss. Honda is not the company it used to be. On a previous Jazz they'd replaced the rear pads and discs FOC because they looked a bit tatty.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - bathtub tom
I've just given my 5-year-old Yaris a brake service.
Front pads removed, clean pads and calipers, ensure piston and caliper slide freely, measure disc, lightly grease moving parts, check for leaks, bleed.
Rear drums removed, cleaned, check linings, ensure pistons move freely, check for leaks, bleed.
I do it every year and can't recall ever having a caliper problem and it's years since I've had a leaking rear cylinder.
SWMBO moans the brakes are too sharp after!
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - hawkeye
>> Quite how they couldn't
>> hear what I now know to be the acoustic pad wear indicator squealing I have
>> no idea.
>>

Acoustic pad wear indicator! Never come across one of those before. Anyone know which cars have them?

Mrs H's car has an acoustic brake shoe wear indicator; it sounded uncannily like a shoe 'worn down to the rivets'. Adjuster siezed and one rear piston so far our of the cylinder it was jammed at an angle. Metal-to-metal contact reverberated through the car each time the brakes were used with a rear passenger or the boot full.

No damage to the drum so some fettling of the cylinders, new seals and new shoes sorted it.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - VxFan
>> Acoustic pad wear indicator! Never come across one of those before. Anyone know which cars have them?

Vauxhall have been using them for years. I think they call it an audible squeal shim.

nb. clip isn't necessarily a Vauxhall brake pad, but gives an example of what I'm talking about.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFIbZ64w9c
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Bill Payer
>> Acoustic pad wear indicator! Never come across one of those before. Anyone know which cars
>> have them?
>>
>> Mrs H's car has an acoustic brake shoe wear indicator; it sounded uncannily like a
>> shoe 'worn down to the rivets'.

I think it's a bit of a Japanese thing. The sound is a sort of ringing screech - at low speed it's almost like bells jingling. I'd never heard it before but a Civic passed me the other day while I was outside and that was emitting the same noise.

I think at first it only happens under braking, then it progresses to doing it all the time.
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - Lygonos
One of the pads has a little metal blade that ends near the lowest part of the friction material.

As the pads wear almost to zero the metal blade acts on the disc like nails on a blackboard.

Nice.

www.floorjackadvisor.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/brake-pad-wear-indicator.gif
 Honda - Jazz - 5 yr old needing a brake overhaul! - hawkeye
Thank you all. I've just been educated :-)
Latest Forum Posts