Motoring Discussion > Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 11

Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - VxFan
Volvo will limit the top speed of its cars to 112mph from 2020 in an attempt to reduce the number of accidents. The cap will prevent drivers from accelerating to the top speeds of up to 155mph many Volvos can reach.

www.theguardian.com/business/2019/mar/04/volvo-speed-limit-cars-2020 (other articles are available)

112 mph might seem an odd value to go for, but it's 180 kph in old money.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - smokie
I suspect there's many more accidents at much lower speeds than that. Most of them in fact.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - devonite
If Volvo are that keen to reduce accidents from speed , they may be better off removing the engine and replacing them with pedals! ;-)

Segmenting vehicle crashes into 5 mph slices, the most common one was the 10 to 15 mph slice.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - No FM2R
Assuming that it accelerates up to that speed with its full power then it seems like a good idea to me.

Worst case it's simply irrelevant.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - R.P.
What Mark says. I test drove a V60 Polestar - eye watering performance up to a ton !
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - Bromptonaut
>> What Mark says. I test drove a V60 Polestar - eye watering performance up to
>> a ton !

The Roomie and the Berlingo both do 0-60 in well under 15 seconds.

When I was a lad those were sports car timings. Cannot imagine needing or even wanting something quicker.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - Zero

>> When I was a lad those were sports car timings. Cannot imagine needing or even
>> wanting something quicker.

No they weren't, they were not when I was a lad, and I was a lad before you were a lad.

Under 12-13s was sports car territory.

Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - No FM2R
My MGB Roadster was purportedly 11 seconds and the Dolomite Sprint was 9 seconds. [I just looked them up.]

Basically, 45 years ago your Berlingo would still have been slow as s***. Sorry.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 11 Mar 19 at 22:05
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - legacylad
My first two half decent cars in my twenties, a 1.6 Golf Gti ( AUM 880X) followed by a 1.6 Pug 205 Gti ( B211 UCP) both had sub 9s 0-60. That was a long time ago!
I appreciate 0-60 times are irrelevant but it’s nice having some power to safely overtake agricultural vehicles and similar in my part of the world. With more power comes better brakes, which can be useful in a worst case scenario, although not as useful as one’s reactions.
As my motoring life draws inexorably onwards, there’s still one final itch that need scratching. Whether than ever happens is a moot point.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - PeterS

>> When I was a lad those were sports car timings. Cannot imagine needing or even
>> wanting something quicker.
>>

The Jaguar XK120 was the fastest production car in the world when it was launched I think, and it took 10 seconds to get to 60. And that was in the mid 40s, which I’m guessing is a good 20 years before you were a lad (I’m assuming that ‘lad’ covers the ages of 7ish to 12ish!!). I’m not familiar enough with the era to know what a more prosaic sports saloon would be, but I assume some form of Triumph? I imagine a well driven Skoda would beat a ‘60s Triumph saloon...

Trouble is, you get used to the power... Objectively our MINI is pretty quick...it’ll get to 60 in just over 7 seconds. But the BMW will do it in 5, so the MINI oesn’t always feel fast. Then again, the A2 with 75PS takes over 12 seconds and it’s perfectly driveable. Does it need to be quicker? No...not in the real world, but sometimes it’d be nice :)
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - Zero
>> What Mark says. I test drove a V60 Polestar - eye watering performance up to
>> a ton !

Try the XC60 T8.
 Volvo - to impose 112mph speed limit from 2020 - PeterS
If I remember correctly the Japanese have limited cars for the domestic market to 112 mph for some time. Pretty sure the Toyota Altezza I had when we lived there was limited, and we’re talking about 15 or so years ago now. Much clever nowadays; I think for there ‘sports car’ ranges they use geofencing tech to allow them to be unlimited on defined racetracks, and limited elsewhere.
Latest Forum Posts