Motoring Discussion > I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 47

I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - R.P.
.....in the last twelve months...and I'm so sorry.

Thrown the towel in with the driving job. Covered thousands of miles, mainly incident free. Got sick of other people's driving and parking in the the process.

Highlights:

Driven loads of different vans. Merc Sprinters, Vauxhall Monarvos (or something), various sized Transits, Fiat Doblos - The favourite ? The big comfortable Sprinters - fantastic van, comfortable, quick, good radio, easy to load/unload. The worst ? Fiat Doblo, slow, five speed box, horrible seats, crap turning circle. The Sprinters are the Dog's whatsits though, I did damage one by reversing into a wall and breaking a light cluster, and ironically the only one that came to an involuntary halt (outside a hospital). Met loads of great NHS staff at surgeries and hospitals big and small, visited some great places - Farndon Surgery for instance - beautiful. Some superb radio programmes on R4.

Lowlights

Busy town surgeries - (Rhyl is awful) Ignorant staff at busy surgeries. Lazy staff (real jobsworths you wouldn't believe) - crap driving and occasional boredom. Poor money for the effort involved, especially the responsibility.

The "Damascus" moment for me was in Vietnam, early morning, sitting on a mountain track, miles away from the world's troubles watching the sun burning the mists down in the valley and sucking lightly on a cinnamon leaf...I need more of that.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - tyrednemotional

>> The "Damascus" moment for me was in Vietnam.........

....and tonight's bottle......?
Hahahahahaha. Rice Wine, what else ?
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - bathtub tom
I (briefly) had a pick up/drop off job and decided that ignorant people thought everyone knew everything they did.
There have been exceptions. I had to unload 50 VDUs today. Office staff (four) turned out with trolleys to help. They were good guys.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - No FM2R
>>The "Damascus" moment for me was in Vietnam, early morning, sitting on a mountain track, miles away from the world's troubles watching the sun burning the mists down in the valley and sucking lightly on a cinnamon leaf...I need more of that.

I have, as I know I have mentioned, spent a reasonable part of my working life on projects off the beaten path.

So I know *exactly* what you mean by your Damascene moment, but for me rather than being separate to my day to day life, they have often been a fundamental part of my working life. Sunrise in the Amazon having a coffee and cigarette at 5,00 as the sun comes up. Out in the Sahara leaning against a camel as the sun goes down, 2.00am on a beach in Korea, even Half Moon Bay in California and many more similar.

Priorities are a funny thing, and the human race has, by and large, got it wrong.

You say "I need more of that". Well, in all and absolute seriousness, you are the only one stopping you getting it. Tomorrow is not, is never, a better day to do stuff.
...not quite in the mould of..

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

.......but close.

;-)
I've seen some stuff over the years, and experienced stuff also. I never photographed anything on the glib and pompous basis that I didn't need pictures because I could remember the experience. How stupid do I think that was now I have children?

If I had my life again I'd carry a camera and keep a journal.
106 countries before my children were born and all I have is photos of me in Cornwall.

8-(
You're not wrong (either of you). It's taken a while to absorb and sort out what I saw and did in those 15 days. I took the Scrambler out on Thursday and up to Brenig reservoir on the Denbigh Moors, after a latte at the excellent little cafe on the site and decided to ride the permitted forestry tracks. It was quite weird in a way. I found myself riding on the incorrect side of the track (!) at times, it also crystallised what I learnt. Feet up, no clutch slipping and keep it first gear ! It also proved what a superb little bike the XR150 was (The Scrambler's 900cc was excessive). I remember one 30 km off road ride in Vietnam, and stopping to wait for a couple of the others - it was so beautiful and quiet where were...and it occurred to me how life enhancing, life changing and indeed life threatening the whole thing was.

Thankfully I have video and still photos to look at when I'm in care home somewhere. The 90 minute ride into Hanoi is all on video including crossing the railway bridge over the Red River along the footway which was epic and awesome.

It certainly changed my perspective on riding and on life.
Oh...and the 15km off road ride to a river crossing, crossing by cable drawn bamboo raft, three bikes and riders at a time, then another 20 km to a road...
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - Runfer D'Hills
I'm nearly there, my son has two more years at uni when he'll need our support, but as soon as he's independent, well, we're off...

I too have been fortunate enough to see and experience places and things I feel privileged to have done in my life and for what's left of it, there are no plans to vegetate on a sofa.

No chance of a care home for me, come that stage I'll do one last ( pretty damn exciting ) thing...
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - legacylad
I feel a little guilty about going away for 8 weeks and not being around if my 91 yo mum needs anything....she lives quite close, but not that close! She tells me to do stuff whilst you can, and has been a very stoical widow these past 40+ years. I phone her most days, and come May she’s back out in Spain with myself and friends for two weeks.
In the meantime I’ve started paddle boarding and sea kayaking, taken up Padel tennis on the local courts and ‘beach lounging’ when not walking in the local mountains. Next month it’s 5 days walking the Southern Upland Way ( with lots of painkillers for the arthritic hip), a Silverstone Driving Experience and leading regular weekly walks/limps for friends.
No lounge surfing, daytime tv or walking to the corner shop for a daily paper for me. Dunno how long this state of affairs will last but gotta make hay whilst the sun shines.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - henry k
>> I'm nearly there, my son has two more years at uni when he'll need our
>> support, but as soon as he's independent, well, we're off...
Been there done that and really enjoyed helping. Son was for three years and daughter for six years and a further three and a half years with less support.

>>well, we're off...
That is a good plan so enjoy your off....

>> I too have been fortunate enough to see and experience places and things I feel
>> privileged to have done in my life and for what's left of it, there are no plans to vegetate on a sofa.
>>
Me too, many with the family.
Dawn chorus near Brisbane
At night from my bed listening to whales in False Bay at Simon's Town
The night sky in Southern Africa.
I drove 40 miles West from Tripoli to Zabratha. We were the only visitors there.
A whole city that had street upon street with houses yet to be excavated.
The Severn bore before the " public " learned about it but few experience it at night.

>> No chance of a care home for me, come that stage I'll do one last ( pretty damn exciting ) thing...
>>
It may just depend on your marbles still functioning.
Now I am meeting folks dealing with dementia I hope I do not add to the statistics.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - Duncan

>> Thrown the towel in with the driving job. Covered thousands of miles, mainly incident free.
>> Got sick of other people's driving and parking in the the process.

So what are you going to do now?

Light poncing?

Healthy walks and pub lunches?

An Open University degree?

Swanning round the world? Today Saigon, tomorrow Watford?

Some worthy unpaid volunteering, somewhere?
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - Fenlander
>>>So what are you going to do now? Light poncing… etc

I retired at 55 and have been flat out with "life" for the 7yrs since since. Faffed about with some collectibles dealing for a bit but even given that up as too little time and mostly too little income to be worth it. Certainly would never work for anyone.

All work on house/garden unless gas/elec guys needed, three older family cars to look after, dog to walk, weekend boating, listening to music, going to gigs, visiting/helping older relatives, couple of other retirees in cul-de-sac always up for a chat and so on. It could be a 9 day week and I'd still not be stuck for activities.

If I was though we have an amazing village charity that helps folks in the village. Day centre, lunches, coffee morning, charity shop, workshop to mend things for those that can't and many more things.... that's where I'd help for a morning or two a week.
Not sure yet. Plenty to do - oddly, I got a volunteering job which I started last week. Got a lot of reading tyo catch up with. It did occur to me to do a History degree a few years ago. May re-visit that
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - CGNorwich
Whilst i enjoy travelling the world and have done a considerable amount of it I’m not sure there it necessarily makes you either informed and more balanced person nor of ours does it make you any happier than someone who is content to find their entertainment and pleasures closer to home. There is plenty of interest and fascination in these islands right on your doorstep.

Actually I think a lot of people travel as a diversion, a way of avoiding other things in their life, particularly the fact they are getting old. By cramming as much into their remaining years as possible they try to avoid facing the reality of physical and mental decline and death. It doesn’t work of course!

As to the oft heard statement that “ they will never get me in a care home” or “when the time comes I will end it all” observation does not bear out these out. Very few aging people choose suicide when their powers decline. Suicide is much much more prevalent in the young.

See you all in th care home!
>> See you all in th care home!
>>

....only if it's somewhere abroad.....!
Odd isn't it how different people perceive age and its restrictions? Having ridden our bikes last Sunday up a particularly long, steep and rough bit of Welsh hillside, to reach the top of a singletrack descent, we paused for a slug of water and got into conversation with a couple of other guys who had made the same climb on electrically assisted bikes. One of them commented that "now he was 40" he didn't feel he could keep doing it without a powered bike. We didn't really engage in that conversation much given that we'd just come up the same track with respective ages of 60 and 54 without too much bother...
There are plenty of people who baulk at the idea of walking a couple of miles let alone cycling up a mountain. I’m always surprise how many people will jump in a car to travel half a mile.

It is of course a great thing to keep as fit as possible into old age but sometimes illness and physical decline robs us of the thing we love. If a physical activity Is the sole yardstick by which we judge our lives no longer being as fit as we once were is going to hit us very hard.
>> Odd isn't it how different people perceive age and its restrictions? .................
>> "now he was 40" he didn't feel
>> he could keep doing it without a powered bike. We didn't really engage in that
>> conversation much given that we'd just come up the same track with respective ages of
>> 60 and 54 without too much bother...
>>

Perhaps you are simply lucky?

I am more than 20 years older than you and if I didn't have my electric bike, I would have to give up cycling.

Perhaps the 40 year old has health problems? Bit of tolerance, please, chaps.
Offa's dyke seems to attract me Humph, - did some research on it last year. I can see where it passes locally from our front windows. No cinnamon trees though
Please may I camp in your garden ? Once myself and friends walk the first 90 miles of the Southern Upland Way next month, and complete it by end of 2019, I’m looking at walking solo Offas Dyke Path National Trail in 2020.
Health allowing of course
Gracias
We're across the valley from Moel Fammau etc. You'd be more than welcome to stay !
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - Dave
Got a friend near moel fammau, breeds, trains, and runs working cockers.
Oh we're nowhere near as fast as we used to be, we can still get up a hill alright by just plodding, but certainly not fast. Coming down is still a laugh though. Gravity has exactly the same effect on oldies. Just done the same route today actually. Bit of airborne activity here and there, makes us feel very alive still. We'll keep doing it until we can't I suppose.

Not knocking E bikes, if I can't manage to get up the hills at some stage, I'll get one.
>>Perhaps you are simply lucky?

I don't see it as a luck thing, on the contrary, in my experience the more effort you put into being lucky, the luckier you get.

If you look after your body, excercise and feed it appropriately, avoid poisoning it too much, take a positive attitude to life and set yourself achievable, if sometimes tough, goals and standards to maintain you can do and continue to do things you never thought you could.

Luck still plays a part, and can indeed sometimes throw you a curved ball, but many health and general fitness related things are completely within your own control.

>> If you look after your body, excercise and feed it appropriately, avoid poisoning it too
>> much, take a positive attitude to life and set yourself achievable, if sometimes tough, goals
>> and standards to maintain you can do and continue to do things you never thought
>> you could.

Well, it's Christian Science for you, my boy.

www.christianscience.com/christian-healing-today/how-can-i-be-healed
Kind of you to suggest it, but I'll stick to just trying to keep in reasonable shape for as long as I can without the help of any belief systems. Only one thing can help you get through this life in the end, and that is yourself.
;-)
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - Zero

>> I don't see it as a luck thing,
>>
>> If you look after your body, excercise and feed it appropriately, avoid poisoning it too
>> much, take a positive attitude to life and set yourself achievable, if sometimes tough, goals
>> and standards to maintain you can do and continue to do things you never thought
>> you could.

>> Luck still plays a part, and can indeed sometimes throw you a curved ball, but
>> many health and general fitness related things are completely within your own control.

Its patently obvious you can make your own luck with respect to health, its well documented and well known how to shorten your lifespan.

However, despite that, as I now know, something left field will hit you, something with no basis in your lifestyle,

Undeserved if you will.

Thats b***** annoying, especially when life changing, and for a while debilitating.

I had a shed load of positivity going in.

In hospital I had moments where I stared into the jowels of that black dog, misery and depression, Somewhere I have never been.

I have set myself tough targets in my recovery, a certain goal to be reached by a set date,

I am about a day ahead.
>>In hospital I had moments where I stared into the jowels of that black dog, misery and depression, Somewhere I have never been.

And that in a tunnel with some light at the end.

12 months ago I had two active friends playing golf, tennis, fishing trips and energetic holidays both just arriving at the beginning of well funded retirement.

6 months ago I had two friends just diagnosed with cancer.

Now I have one of those two friends, and sometime in the next couple of weeks or so I shall have neither of them.

Both knew they were terminal, both knew they had months. I don't know if they stepped over into depression, but both were very very sad that things were coming to an end.

We can certainly make the most of what we have, but we do not decide what we have. Luck, or fate if you prefer, does that.

I'm pleased you're winning, Zero. Keep on fighting.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 1 Apr 19 at 13:04
I'm pleased you're winning, Zero. Keep on fighting

Nothing I can add to that other than echoing it.
Indeed.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - Clk Sec
Keep up the good work, Zero.
Quite. Let me know when you’re fit enough and I’ll accompany you on a wander over Whernside, taking in a steamer going over Ribblehead viaduct. The mangy mutt will enjoy it!
>> Quite. Let me know when you’re fit enough and I’ll accompany you on a wander
>> over Whernside, taking in a steamer going over Ribblehead viaduct. The mangy mutt will enjoy
>> it!

And I'll take you for a stroll along the Basingstoke canal.

>> And I'll take you for a stroll along the Basingstoke canal.

Wow, never done that before
Nor have I, and I can predict, with reasonable certainty, that it will remain an unticked box in my life.
Totally agree with you Z. I’ve always exercised, had physical jobs, eaten sensibly ( and drunk too much beer socially on occasion) but then you get a curve ball. Out of nowhere.
10 years ago I was working my nuts off as usual, enjoying every minute, 6 long 12 hour+ days a week in retail, day 7 in the warehouse and bookkeeping. Then my immune system called it a day. A few weeks in hospital. Cellulitis which clindamycin eventually sorted ( I’m penicillin allergic) bedbound at home for a month, crutches a further 3 months.
Boo hiss.
I sold up, and recovered the way it suited me by backpacking the SW Coast Path solo at my own slow pace. Good for the body and soul. I didn’t set any targets!
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 1 Apr 19 at 15:51
i went through that "working my nuts off" thing in 2000s - 50 hour weeks were the norm - often more. Since then as chronicled here I've worked on my own terms, made lasting friends along the way - glad to have get out of the last job in one piece, respect to the people that do it day in day out for better reasons than I was there. It was mind numbing in the end - after working one, quite regular route, where it involved getting in and out of the Sprinter 44 times I felt my knees aching at the end of the day...only one place that was heading....Started sorting the garage/shed out this afternoon - left it to make tea, I can always do it tomorrow or Wednesday.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - bathtub tom
>>felt my knees aching at the end of the day

I used to volunteer for the local beer festival. Dozens of barrels on two levels of scaffolding. The glasses had lines for 1/3, 1/2 and full pint. I'm six foot and had no problem with the upper barrels, but I had to do squat thrusts to eye up the the lines on the lower level. I didn't mind the muscular aches in the thighs (well I did, but it went away after a while), but it did for my knees a couple of years ago. Now I visit from the other side of the bar.
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - hawkeye
Good luck Mr Z.

There's a lot of unseen energy and ethereal support heading your way from this forum. You will get there one way or another.

>> There's a lot of unseen energy and ethereal support heading your way from this forum.
>> You will get there one way or another.

Swings and roundabouts; today positive energy, tomorrow lightning bolts.
>> Good luck Mr Z.
>>
>> There's a lot of unseen energy and ethereal support heading your way from this forum.

Fortunately my urethra is unaffected, the peeing part works well.
You don’t need an ethereal support then?
Never needed any support to extracts the urine
 I'm sure I've been rude to some nice people..... - hawkeye
Lots of stuff allegedly whizzes through the ether. Are you Philistines not in touch with your spiritual sides?

(Cue Mr Z making a crack about having a whizz)
Latest Forum Posts