Motoring Discussion > Would you have said something Miscellaneous
Thread Author: wotspur Replies: 7

Would you have said something - wotspur
Today , I was driving along a 30 into a 40 ,and I noticed a police car catching me up ,as I was doing 30 he had to be doing more , as we went onto the dual carriageway he went past me at at least 55,
At the end of the carriageway, (it’s only 2 miles long) with traffic lights at the end , I caught him up at the lights and with both our windows down , I felt like asking ,” what emergency are you on to be speeding along here ??
They might be the law , but they’re NOT above it , I thought unless they had lights on , they had to stick to the speed limit . would you have been brave( stupid) enough to ask
 Would you have said something - zippy
>>would you have been brave( stupid) enough to ask

No, asking for trouble. I expect they would have found something wrong with your car.

As a rule, I think individual police officers can be fine but I have had a few run-ins to make me be cautious....

On bonfire night I handed a set of lost car keys to a copper hoping he would hand them in to the station on his return and then watched as he put them in to a dustbin.

I took his number and reported the incident and got stopped regularly for the trouble.

Stupidly I handed a brand new iPhone I found to a passing copper and asked for it to be handed in to lost property. It never got there.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 7 Apr 19 at 18:45
 Would you have said something - sooty123
. would
>> you have been brave( stupid) enough to ask
>>

No, wouldn't even have thought to say anything to them.
 Would you have said something - CGNorwich
Their is no legal requirement for a police car to use blue lights when travelling to an emergency.

Unless the police were driving in a dangerous manner whatever business they were on is not your concern. I believe in loolking to my own driving and not worrying to much about what others are doing, police or otherwise.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 7 Apr 19 at 19:11
 Would you have said something - Bromptonaut
>> Their is no legal requirement for a police car to use blue lights when travelling
>> to an emergency.

There are occasions where they may not want to draw attention and others where they do.

Two instances in last month or two where we've had local youths in a set too outside Nandos/Prezzo close to office. Just fisticuffs, no suggestion of weapons

On both occasions Plod chose to announce his arrival with lights and sirens. Yoofs scattered.

If they'd thought it was gang stuff they might have preferred a stealth arrival in adjacent streets and final approach on foot to catch perps red handed.

Not my job to challenge tactics.
 Would you have said something - Zero

>> They might be the law , but they’re NOT above it , I thought unless
>> they had lights on , they had to stick to the speed limit . would
>> you have been brave( stupid) enough to ask

You are not the police, they are, you dont enforce traffic laws, they do. Its nothing to do with you.
 Would you have said something - tyrednemotional
...".excuse me constable, I think your L-plates have fallen off" should be enough....

;-)
 Would you have said something - Bromptonaut
Would I have said something?

No

I've no idea why the copper was, or appeared to be, speeding. Plenty reasons why he might be approaching a reported incident rapidly but without drawing attention. None of them my business.

If he decides to subject me my car and its passengers to detailed inspection he just might, if picky enough, find an offence committed.

He might be wrong but it's a lot of effort to sort out.

Game not worth candle; let it pass
Latest Forum Posts