Motoring Discussion > I Despair Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 18

I Despair - Fullchat
This afternoon visited our local Morrisons Petrol station for a top up in the motorcycle.
Its fairly busy so I sit behind another car waiting for the 2 cars at the pumps to go. 1st car goes second is unattended as its occupants are in the shop. Insufficient room manouvre round and in any event its better to replace 2 with 2 if you get my drift.
4 young females slowly amble across the forecourt with ice lollies in hand and climb into the car. Gear selected in anticipation of the move forward. Oh no!!
The driver, with her phone on the steering wheel takes a selfie. Ok she'll move off any second. No! A protracted selfie photo shoot then commences.
I have sufficient time to ride round the car infront, pull alongside and whilst in mid selfie inform her that as I'm retired I am quite happy and have plenty of time to sit in the hot sunshine in my thick clothing and wait for her to finish what she is doing before driving off and in any event she should Foxtrot Oscar. Something along those lines anyway :S
The look of indignation was priceless as for probably the first time in her life someone had challenged her. Of course it didn't stop her or her friends making some remarks which were inaudible above the rattling of the boxer engine.
Right need to go and lie down in a darkened room.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 20 Apr 19 at 18:53
 I Despair - No FM2R
It's amazing how photographs have become such an essential part of people's lives. It is seemingly more important to photograph then it it is to look.

It's quite beyond me.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 20 Apr 19 at 18:23
 I Despair - Fullchat
Its the current trend of self and social media obsession.

I wont deny I have undertaken the odd selfie myself but there is usually something of interest in the background and I would consider myself spatially aware and considerate.

Last year we visited the Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria. Massive queue to a footbridge viewing point above the castle. On arrival coach party of Chinese on the footbridge undertaking a selfie fest and causing the congestion
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sat 20 Apr 19 at 19:03
 I Despair - CGNorwich
I am pleased to say I have never taken a selfie in my life. Mind you I hate looking in mirrors too and nit too keen on having my picture taken if I can avoid it.

Probably why I’m not a Celebrity and rich and famous :-)
 I Despair - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Probably why I’m not a Celebrity and rich and famous :-)
>>

...well, along with all the other reasons....

;-)
 I Despair - No FM2R
No, I've never taken a selfie either.

Actually I don't think I have ever taken a photograph which did not have one of my Mother, Sister or Daughters in it.

Having said that, I was too extreme the other way. I should have taken a few more. And tried to preserve the ones I did take.

Ho hum.
 I Despair - tyrednemotional
...I've never been a fan of selfies, or even very interested in having my picture taken.

I do, however, have a significant collection of slides, a large proportion of them from my avid walking and climbing days - the winter ones bringing back some excellent memories.

Of course, in the pre-digital days, where every shot cost money in film and development, we were all a little more sparing with our use, so taking a selfie wasn't really even thought of.

Recently, I've started to digitise the 'best' of my collection with a slide scanner, and with a bit of care things clean up pretty nicely, even after 30 years of (non-too-careful) archive. One thing that was obvious (and patently should have been) were that there were few photos including my self (a few on self-timer, a few when the camera was handed to someone else) but a good few of them had climbing companions and friends in them.

Now, if my pictures lacked me, it was very likely that any pictures they took (and not everyone carried a camera) lacked them also. Still being in touch with a number of them, I carefully selected such pictures as they were in (remember, these had already passed the 'best of' test) and created a set crafted to each individual and shared them.

They were very well received (In fact, the idea came about after dinner at a couple's house, both of whom I climbed with - together, and before they were married individually - neither of them carried a camera in those days, so the pics were doubly welcome. They were appended to a thank you note after the dinner).

This was one of those:

oi66.tinypic.com/s28j8o.jpg

....I know this was the hardest climbing he'd done to that point (Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg Arrete) in a very hard February - he was quite surprised by the pic.

As yet, no-one has reciprocated :-( (Though I'm probably the only one with a scanner)

I Despair - R.P.
Anyone want a Veho neg/slide scanner you can have it. Works with Microsoft products only sadly.
 I Despair - bathtub tom
>> Anyone want a Veho neg/slide scanner you can have it. Works with Microsoft products only
>> sadly.

I acquired one of them, can't get it to work, software apparently. I tried their website, but it said the model I've got was no longer supported.
 I Despair - R.P.
Mac ? That's the problem I had. Got a cheap Chinese standalone thing, that works fine !
 I Despair - Duncan
>> This was one of those:
>>
>> oi66.tinypic.com/s28j8o.jpg

Strange? First time I clicked on that, there were a number of images at the bottom, including a party in red standing on tiptoe. When I decided to look at it again, all I got was a lonely bloke standing on a mountain!

I Despair - sherlock47
Get proficient with Photoshop and you can have been wherever you wish. Send copies to your friends of impossible settings - then you will find out if they have genuine memories of your times together.

For my daughters' wedding it seemed a pity to not make use of the father in law skill set, (he is a professional photographer). He subsequently added himself seamlessly to several of the group photos.
 I Despair - Zero
>> Mind
>> you I hate looking in mirrors too and nit too keen on having my picture
>> taken if I can avoid it.

If I looked like you I too would be so inclined. I think they saved all the gargoyles on Notre Dame, so there will be no modelling contracts for you there.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Apr 19 at 19:27
 I Despair - CGNorwich
"If I looked like you I too would be so inclined."

Glad we're in agreement then. I do really dislike having my picture taken though. I guess its the difference between my internal self image and the reality portrayed in a photo that is discomforting and somehow disconcerting.
 I Despair - R.P.
Apologies to the folk behind me at Morrisosns fuel station a few months ago when I got talking to a rider on her CCM and got to try it for size before I noticed the ever growing queue..:-)
 I Despair - Fenlander
>>> rider on her CCM

Not a small retired lady by chance? Could be my neighbour who together with her husband both have the Adventure GP450.
 I Despair - R.P.
It was a female rider, blonde. She said she was clinical psychologist. It was a GP450 Adventure.
 I Despair - Fenlander
Probably not our lady then. They had a pair of the CCM's new about 2yrs ago. Let's just say not built to last and not easy to get repaired locally.
 I Despair - R.P.
You're not wrong. i came very close to buying one, was put off by the factory back up. Friend of mine broke down on his Suzuki powered one. Engine was knackered.
Latest Forum Posts