Motoring Discussion > BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 13

BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - Lygonos
Top gear mag took a Tesla Model 3 Performance, and BMW M3 (both stock) and raced them round a 2 mile circuit.

The article isn't online yet but result was a 2 second victory for the electric car on ~85 second lap.

Oh dear.

cleantechnica.com/2019/04/25/tesla-model-3-performance-crushes-fossil-bmw-m3-around-race-track/
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 26 Apr 19 at 07:19
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - Duncan
OK. I'll bite.

Why 'oh dear'?
>> Why 'oh dear'?

Just the benchmark sports saloon being beaten by a milkfloat.

The inevitability of an electric future is a step closer.
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - tyrednemotional
...and once one can win Le Mans, we might actually be getting there......

;-)
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - Zero
>> >> Why 'oh dear'?
>>
>> Just the benchmark sports saloon being beaten by a milkfloat.
>>
>> The inevitability of an electric future is a step closer.

Yup, you need several charged up and ready to swop in anything over 20 laps tho.
>> Top gear mag took a Tesla Model 3 Performance, and BMW M3 (both stock) and
>> raced them round a 2 mile circuit.
>>
>> The article isn't online yet but result was a 2 second victory for the electric
>> car on ~85 second lap.
>>
>> Oh dear.

Why Oh dear? everyone who is anyone is aware that the power and torque characteristics of an ev is superior, if you look at the car wow vids on your tube, the Tesla's beat more or less every flavour of exotic supercar in drag races.

BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - R.P.
An M3 (or any of the Ms for that matter) howl in a tunnel is something to behold, never be replicated by an EV.
The power output of electric motors is well known, but on the track braking and handling are no less important.

Not only does the EV thrash the M3, it's comfortable on normal roads and probably manages the same range between fill ups (~300 miles).

Interestingly the Top Gear test driver felt the lack of engine noise helped him hear what was happening with the tyres.

There's a couple of amateur Nurburgring vidz on youtube, but just how long the Model 3 can keep up attack speed I don't know.

Having upgraded the battery/drive cooling system compared to Model S/X I believe overheating brakes is the limiting factor (as it usually is with any roadcar).
>> The power output of electric motors is well known, but on the track braking and
>> handling are no less important.

The on track handling of a Tesla is pretty rubbish compared to an M3, Im fairly sure that on some tracks that disparity in handling would make the M3 closer
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - R.P.
"Zero" brand electric motorcycles are making a name for themselves on the Isle of Man. There is a solution for the sound thing by the way.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2QIlwyO2wk

There is a plan to replicate this here if my BiL's wife can make it from down south here with her trumpet..
>>The on track handling of a Tesla is pretty rubbish compared to an M3, Im fairly sure that on some tracks that disparity in handling would make the M3 closer

Model S isn't a great track car and is very heavy - it's Achilles heel is overheating the battery and drivetrain with track driving, but the Model 3 has been designed to drive better and has a superior cooling system.

4wd with electric is meant to give impressive near-instant torque vectoring too.

I've driven Model S a number of times and I found the 75kWh version on steel coils felt more agile than the 90kWh one on air suspension - I'm not sure if the lighter weight, or the suspension type was the more important factor - I expect it was the weight.

Tesla are such a mishmash of talents - their drive motors are world class, their build quality is not, their efficiency compared to competitors is significantly better.

Audi eTron is an SUV with a 95kWh battery and has an EPA rating (generally more achievable than WLTP) of 204 miles vs Model X with 75kWh managing 237 miles.

Tesla have updated Model S and X this week to have a new permanent magnet front motor and better hardware giving a further ~10% range improvement with the same 100kWh battery - Model S 100kWh has an EPA rating of 370 miles, 0-60 in 3.7s, max 155mph.

That's Edinburgh to Cambridge on a single charge.

£81k is still a huge pile to drop on a car though!

BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - Rudedog
Still take a base 911 if I could...

The EV's seem to have an issue with overheating around race tracks, although the VW are about to have a go at the Nordschleife lap record for an EV with a modified I.D. R 500kw-680 PS (same car that took the Pikes Peak record) not sure how close it will get the mighty 919 Hybrid Evo though.
Video.

The Top Gear presenter is a monstrous helmet - just turn the volume down.

www.topgear.com/videos/video/video-tesla-model-3-vs-bmw-m3
 BMW M3 E92 E93 - M3 electric thrashes M3 fossil - No FM2R
Why in God's name would I care about "driftability" in a car I was thinking of buying?
Latest Forum Posts