Motoring Discussion > Uber. A good thing? Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 30

Uber. A good thing? - No FM2R
The author has an agenda, but this is worth a read I think.

www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/uber-convenient-city-commuters-bad-cities-ncna995626
 Uber. A good thing? - wotspur
No,no,no
When the London Black grade have been put out of business , and we no longer have people who have trained for 5+ years , and apart from Warboys , there have been very few accounts of assaults .
Uber however have been in the country 10 years , and there’s been 100 S of accounts of sexual assaults and rapes of uncaring young lady . I have banned my 15 year old daughter from using them , unless there are 2/3 boys in there with her and she’s dropped off first .
Once the black trade have gone they’ll increase their fares way beyond what black cabs currently charge , and they still won’t know where they’re going
100% agree.
 Uber. A good thing? - zippy
My experiences of Uber are not good.

Here are a few trips...

Birmingham Snow Hill to the Jewellery Quarter: Taxi turned up. Went round in circles, passed, my hotel twice, passed my office three times. Told the driver I did know Birmingham. He then took the correct route but I literally bailed about quarter of a mile from where I needed to get to when he drove the wrong way down a one-way street.

London Leicester Square to Hyde Park... not feeling brilliant so took a cab rather than walked / tube.

Bailed when the cab went over Lambeth Bridge.

Black from cabs now.
 Uber. A good thing? - Duncan
Are we discussing Uber in particular, or app based private hire car services in general?

Here is a link to an article describing one woman' experiences using Uber.

tinyurl.com/ycchc7m5

She was very uncomfortable on a trip. Further in the article she lists that between Feb 2016 and Feb 2017 48 alleged offences were reported against Uber drivers. The article quite fairly points out that there was no proof that all the alleged offenders were actually Uber drivers.

In 2016 there were 5 convictions against Uber drivers.

In 2016 there were 122 allegations against other non-Uber drivers - black cabs, mini-cabs, etc.

Personally I feel that the days of the black cab are numbered. The idea that a potential black cab driver spends around two years riding around London on a moped to learn every nook and cranny is frankly outdated and unnecessary.

What is wrong with using a sat nav to get from TW2 7BA to SW1 1AA?
 Uber. A good thing? - Zero
Black cabs in London have been a mafia for years, expensive, restrictive, obstructive with thought processes stuck in the Middle Ages.

The fear that UBER will become a monopoly and hike prices is unfounded and impossible. The drivers are self employed, apps are cheap to make and run, another uberesque service would arise if prices got too financially attractive.

However, UBER as a company has a cavalier and aggressive attitude to employment, completely failing to take responsibility for the actions of those it employs, nor has the slightest whiff of any duty of care towards those it employs which means it really couldn't give a shh about its customers. It also has a an arrogant aggressive and dismissive attitude towards local governance and necessary regulation and a disgraceful lack of scruples and morals in its corporate governance

App based taxi services? - thumbs up, Uber? lets hope someone better comes along.
 Uber. A good thing? - CGNorwich
“The drivers are self employed”
>>
>>
“ However, UBER as a company has a cavalier and aggressive attitude to employment, completely failing to take responsibility for the actions of those it employs”

>> “The drivers are self employed”
>> >>
>> >>
>> “ However, UBER as a company has a cavalier and aggressive attitude to employment, completely
>> failing to take responsibility for the actions of those it employs”

You "employ" self employed contractors yourself, stop trying to score cheap points with pompous pedantic posturing.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 28 Apr 19 at 11:54
The problem with the Uber model is exactly as highlighted by those two statements. Uber are either employers and responsible for their employees or the drivers are self employed and Uber are not responsible for them. They cannot be both.

>> The problem with the Uber model is exactly as highlighted by those two statements. Uber
>> are either employers and responsible for their employees or the drivers are self employed and
>> Uber are not responsible for them. They cannot be both.

Of course they can. Most other companies do, I employed contractors when I was working, and I (and my company) were responsible for their actions, so great care was taken in managing and choosing the contractors (who were all inevitably self employed). The agency responsible for providing customers ditto.

London Black cab drivers are all self employed, yet controlled and monitored.

Uber has no excuse despite your protestations.
I hold no brief for Uber.

The point I am making is that Uber seek to take no legal responsibility for the actions of their drivers who are deemed to be self employed although most would view them differently. The reason that Uber are able to offer their services so cheaply is that by using the “self employed” model they escape the responsibilities and costs of a legitimate employer.

>> The reason that Uber are able to offer their services so cheaply
>> is that by using the “self employed” model they escape the responsibilities and costs of
>> a legitimate employer.

They do, but the point is that is because they choose to, not because its a natural consequence of a self employed model, the two are not co requisite

>> They do, but the point is that is because they choose to, not because its
>> a natural consequence of a self employed model, the two are not co requisite
>>

I rather think they are. No commercial organisation will accept financial obligations if the are not legally so obliged. That is the way the modern world works I'm afraid.
 Uber. A good thing? - henry k
>>What is wrong with using a sat nav to get from TW2 7BA to SW1 1AA?

At this moment , The London Marathon ? :-(
 Uber. A good thing? - PeterS
I like Uber, and the equivalents. For me they always get me to where I need to be with no problem; if they don’t use the shortest route, does it matter? I suspect the route they take is generally the quickest... I like the fact that the cost is clear when you book , and can imagine for tourists to London that’s a real plus as it is for me when travelling. Black cab fares are a mystery! Also cash is never needed; for some reason taxis (and minicabs to be fair...) in this country seem to very hostile environments for card machines based on the number of times they’re not working... Emailed receipts also make expenses easy to track :)
 Uber. A good thing? - Bromptonaut
Son regularly uses them in Liverpool and has few if any complaints.

Only time I've ever used one was in San Antonio pretty much 2 years ago. We were there for Mrs B to attend an international science education conference. Bundled with the conference was an opportunity to visit San Antonio zoo which delegate's partners could also attend.

Hotel concierge ordered a taxi to take us there. Not a satisfactory experience; driver had limited English and we ended up in the car park of San Antonio water company. Suspect there was an illicit shortcut but on this occasion Police stopped him going through. We bailed and walked last mile.

After failing to find a taxi share back with others I did a quick registration with Uber. Ordered a car and we were told a white Hyundai with licence plate xxx would be there in 5. It was and we were driven back in by a charming young woman of whom my only criticism was driving with satnav on her knee. Took us straight back to hotel, no missed turns etc. and cost less than abortive ride out.

If I'd been her family I'd have been bothered about risk from passengers. OTOH this is USofA and she might have had a handgun in the glovebox.
In the early 2000s I was doing some work with an outfit that a lot of black taxi drivers owned.

It's probably obvious who they were but basically it was a co-operative of black taxi drivers who used a telephone service to get the next fare, usually from the City.

They had a small network of AS400s which were basically fed the location of the cabs and would despatch the nearest one to the fare. If the driver declined the fare the next nearest cab would be hailed and so on.

Some very sophisticated processes for the time.

They sold out in the end to some venture capitalists. I suspect that some of the technology has been used in similar car sharing apps. I guess the drivers got a few thousand each.
 Uber. A good thing? - movilogo
I have never used Uber in UK but have used Uber (and similar alternatives) outside of UK extensively.

Recently used Uber in Brazil several times. They were roughly half the price of equivalent black cabs there. I initially used black cabs there but then discovered [1] they were pricey [2] drivers don't speak English.

Uber was cheaper, and drivers didn't speak English either. So, Uber was a clear winner.

There had been few occasions Uber driver cancelled the trip, wasting my time. Then I picked up normal taxi.

In India I have used Ola (local alternative to Uber) and had similar experience.

I think Knowledge is overrated. In the age of sat navs and AI, there is no such need for Knowledge anymore.

Regarding concern once black cabs out of business Uber will raise price, it won't happen because if price rises, some other app will take the place.

Uber has proven how expensive standard cab fares are!

Yes, there has been assaults by Uber drivers all over the world but those are very likely due to huge number of drivers running the service. Also, there is a lower barrier compared to normal cab license.

So, I would not say don't Uber (or alternatives) rather I'd say use them after due diligence.

Whether you like or not, technology/AI will reshape lots of things in near future.
>>There had been few occasions Uber driver cancelled the trip, wasting my time. Then I picked up normal taxi

That shouldn't happen. Of course UBER wants to rate passengers as well, avoiding passengers with low ratings. This is not acceptable for a service where people need to get from A to B quickly. If you book a taxi it should turn up. What if you had a train or plane to catch and it didn't show!

Local knowledge is very useful. A satnav may not find the private (not public) entrance for certain buildings in London and the Black cabs I have used do. UBER drivers I have used do not know them.

Also, the knowledge allows drivers to take quicker routes in rush-hour or traffic jams. In black cabs I have been saved a small fortune around London when cabbies new alternate routes that would not normally show on satnav.

Also, professional drivers do not go the wrong way down one way streets and I haven't been ripped off by a black cab. I have been ripped off by UBER drivers (see my post above).
>> If you book a taxi it should turn up. What if you had a train or plane to catch and it didn't show!

It did happen when I wanted to go airport and Uber didn't turn up. As I had plenty of time, I summoned another Uber which did turn up where I did arrive at time with 50% savings on price.

In other instance, I just picked up a normal taxi as I realized it is not worth delaying further.

For London, I never use black cabs. Tube/bus is far better/cheaper. Of course, people with reduced mobility/luggage/other issues may prefer taxis.

Uber. A good thing? - smokie
With Uber you set a price in advance and whatever route they take that's the cost isn't it? Pretty sure that's how it's worked for me so was it different for you Zippy?

I suspect a lot of cabbles' knowledge of backstreet routes and back doors comes from many years of being in the trade, as much as "The Knowledge.

I'm a light to moderate user and I've found them anything from OK to fantastic, and always cheaper than the alternatives as far as I know. I once got charged because he couldn't find us when he turned up, but it was refunded no problem. Also got charged waiting time once but that was entirely reasonable in the circs.
>>With Uber you set a price in advance and whatever route they take that's the cost isn't it? >>Pretty sure that's how it's worked for me so was it different for you Zippy?

Totally. They give you an estimate.

In my example above, in Birmingham, the driver passed my office then hotel before I had to comment on the fact that he was charging me for going in circles!

In London a £7 Uber trip from Leicester Square to Hyde Park corner cost £27 because the driver took the scenic route across the river and back again.

Can't trust them.

They also have pick up points that are not always convenient. A taxi will pick me up from my hotel. If I have laptop, bag, coat, umbrella I don't want to have to walk up a street in the rain to find my UBER.

Last edited by: zippy on Mon 29 Apr 19 at 16:08
Strange, isn't it?

Uber works absolutely fine for for smokie, but never works for zippy?

I wonder why that is?
 Uber. A good thing? - smokie
Maybe if I used them more I'd get some bad experiences... I've only really used them frequently in the States, and around Birmingham (UK!), intermittently elsewhere. They don't "officially" operate in my local area but I've got them once or twice, seems to be when they've had a London drop off out this way (Wokingham).

- as far as I recall I've always been picked up from the exact spot I phoned them from (unless requested otherwise), or outside the house. I don't recall the cost ever being more than the estimate but I can definitely recall it being under, on more than one occasion.

And they work out super cheap for me as you can buy credit with Tesco points, three times face value IIRC!! :-) (I seem to have little else to spend the point on these days...)

>> Strange, isn't it?
>>
>> Uber works absolutely fine for for smokie, but never works for zippy?
>>
>> I wonder why that is?
>>

For what its worth, with the snide comment, I had reservations before but was persuaded to use them by others and I did for quite a while without issue.

Then a few bad / frightening journeys and some real personal danger put me off them.

>> For what its worth, with the snide comment,

I didn't think your comment was snide. It hasn't worked well for you, and you said so. What's wrong with that?
I've not used Uber in Europe, but I have in North and South America.

In North America it all works very well and very easily and seems to me to be the preferred approach, but in South America not so much.

In some countries, Chile for example, they are not licensed or permitted so spend a great deal of their time dodging the Carabineros. If they have an accident then they will do their best to leave the scene and/or dump their passengers.

In places like Brazil I do not consider them safe. There is little or no protection and unless you are going to examine IDs and refuse suspiciously different faces, you don't really know who is driving them. Cabs are left alone by the local villains for a bunch of reasons, none of which apply to Uber. Aside from those behind taxi organisations, who can make their feelings felt, taxi drivers also recognise and, to an extent, protect each other.

A well known risk is additional people being hidden in the Uber you get into. They will take you to an ATM and help you take cash out and then disappear with the Uber driving insisting he was kidnapped and forced (he wasn't).

Uber in Brazil takes cash. Consequently the cars/drivers are a target for robbers. Whether or not they have passengers.

I will not allow my daughters to use Uber in South America. And don't forget, Daughter #1 *is* Brazilian and we have all been in South America for a long time, mostly but not exclusively Chile & Brazil and speak the languages.

There is little or no difference in pricing except dumb-a*** tourists are more likely to be overcharged in a hailed taxi and prices are somewhat more officially variable in an Uber.

In Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile the service is often unreliable. Wrong car, wrong time, wrong place, wrong route, no-show, etc. etc. In North America it is almost 100% reliable.

Copacabana to the Airport, for example, is a fairly typical R$70 ish in either Uber or Taxi. However, at times of high demand, low supply, s*** weather, etc. etc. the Uber price can go up significantly, whereas the Taxi fare not so much.

You can also use one of the Taxi companies, kind of the equivalent to Private Hire, but you will pay for the privilege.

Though the post was really about the business/social side of Uber more than using the service.

In Chile it is particularly bad, though less physically dangerous for the passenger. No control over drivers, cars, no safety checks, no background checks, no special driving licence, no special Insurance, often no insurance, incompetent drivers etc. etc. and all it is doing is taking business away from Taxi drivers who have to live with all those controls. [and costs].

In most places EasyTaxi is the best App since it gives you the vehicle and driver details, a quote for the fare, but uses the official, liveried, public taxis, not some bloke in a car.

My daughters use EasyTaxi.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Apr 19 at 17:00
Uber is not half the pice of a taxi in either Sao Paulo or Rio.
Well, in my experience it was.

Copacabana to GIG airport (each way) = yellow radio taxi (prebooked) = R$130
Same by Uber = R$65

Uber price is not fixed though. When it rained, the price went up.

I have used Uber several times in Rio and sometimes same journeys on standard taxi and Uber was 50% cheaper overall.
Nope. You're either wrong or doing something wrong.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 29 Apr 19 at 15:24
In Brazil, in most South American countries actually, there is an official complaints site.

On the Brazilian site...

In the last 6 months 22,663 complaints have been registered by Uber users. 2,356 have been resolved.

In the last 6 months 326 complaints have been registered by EasyTaxi users, 100% have been responded to and 112 fully resolved.

I have no idea of the comparative usage levels, but I know which one I use and why.
Latest Forum Posts