Motoring Discussion > Oopps! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 6

Oopps! - Bromptonaut
We've owned at least one Citroen estate car since early nineties. Although we don't own a dog we've usually fitted a 'dog guard' to ensure luggage loaded above rear seat back stays there. Bought one for the current Berlingo but never got round to fitting it as with kids grown up we don't fill the car any more.

However, we're having a family holiday on the Western Isles shortly with both kids and their partners. As the 'lingo will be luggage vehicle for four of us. The Lad is flying but as we're taking his girlfriend and kit for both of them decided it was sensible to install the stored dog guard. Western Isles weather being what is (four seasons in an hour has been observed on previous visits) quite a bit of clothing is needed.

Instructions pretty clear. It's retained at the top by bolts held captive in slots in body accessed via cut outs in head lining and at bottom with straps attached to tie downs. The bolts are pre-installed into the mounting bracket with nut/washer and seem difficult to separate - fingers wont shift nut. That should have been a clue but muggins held the bolt's square anti rotation spur with a spanner and took the nut off with a socket. PLaced bolt into body slot then mated it with bracket and offered up nut. After brief struggle to engage nut bolt disappears down back of slot but doesn't stay there. With noise like coins going int a slot machine it slides off down inside of C-pillar. Thought there might be a bung in bottom of pillar but no; guess bolt is staying where it is until car is scrapped.

It then dawns that what you are meant to do is offer up whole assembly, bracket nut and washer/bolt then tighten nut until it is just held so it can be angled to align with guard itself when offered up to other end of bracket. Instructions are then to set it to N n/m of torque once guard is in place.

Halfords couldn't supply a replacement bolt with 7mm anti-rotation collar in head, neither could ECP. Latter suggested Machine Mart who came up trumps albeit bolt was twice length and needed hacksawing so there was clearance to use socket.

Guard now properly fitted and test drive with hard accelerate/brake cycle disproves my fear that lost bolt was in cill and would roll back and forth for next five years!!

Anybody else want to confess a similar cock up?
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 17 May 19 at 09:26
 Oopps! - VxFan
>> Guard now properly fitted and test drive with hard accelerate/brake cycle disproves my fear that lost bolt was in cill and would roll back and forth for next five years!!

Cavity wax (eg waxoyl) should prevent it, if it ever decided to rattle.
 Oopps! - Fullchat
'Anybody else want to confess a similar cock up?'

Too many times to mention :)

Accompanied with the self realisation statement, "Why the kin did I just do that?"

If the loose bolt is bothering you how about a magnet on a piece of string maybe access lower down. A good magnet on the outside might catch it and you can lift it up. Personally I couldn't leave it there without a dam good try. But that's me. I might draw the line at cutting an access hole with an angle grinder though :)
 Oopps! - Bromptonaut

>> Personally I couldn't leave it there without a dam good
>> try. But that's me. I might draw the line at cutting an access hole with
>> an angle grinder though :)

If it was rolling around in cill it would bother me. As things are it seems to be 'captive' where it is son it can stay there!!

My Pug 205 (1997-2000) used to collect rainwater in the cill. Never worked out how it got there. When I could hear it sloshing about I'd park car facing downhill and remove the conveniently placed cill plug from under wheelarch to allow it do drain.
 Oopps! - No FM2R
>>Anybody else want to confess a similar cock up?

I have a far more devasting one.

When building my first go-kart when I was young, about 7 I think, using pram wheels, I firmly anchored the front (and steering) wheels to a piece of 2x2 and anchored that with a single big-a*** nail to the main board. (I upgraded to a bolt by about the 3rd go-kart iteration)

I then flipped it over and anchored the rear (non-steering) wheels to the back.

I did an industrial job using many nails to anchor everything in place hammered firmly into place.

Imagine my distress when I discovered that the wheels were on opposite sides of the main board.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 17 May 19 at 16:45
 Oopps! - Lygonos

I don't think kids make go-karts/karties/hurdy-gurdies any more.

Lack of full-size pram wheels probably the main issue.

Did make a motorised kart with my mate and his brother when I was 12 with an old pedal-kart and a lawnmower engine (I think it was from an old cylinder mower).

Main problem was only was to start it was to run along side it until it fired up and jump on, and the only way to stop was to do a 180ยบ spin so it stalled.

Oopps! - MD
I built some dummy window frames for a new build - above my mates shop accessed by a single staircase. I also built the patio door frame up there. You can guess the rest:-)
Latest Forum Posts