Motoring Discussion > Bulbs. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 17

Bulbs. - Zero
SWMBO's Fester is due for an MOT shortly, and last time out got an advisory on rear indicators becoming too white. A peer through the lenses reveals flaking yellow on the bulbs. Ok Fair enough, I'll change them

And this is how it's done.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6Mv0xxAb8

Ruddy hell, did it really need to be made this difficult?

Bulbs. - henry k
>>Ruddy hell, did it really need to be made this difficult?
It is called progress. There is a lot of it around.

My pre 2000 Mondeo, Sierra etc needed no tools, two clips and the light cluster was in your hand.

On my X type if the beam height adjuster crumbles ( as is a common feature ) Jaguar have never made any spares but so they are available, non OEM of course, for £20 on Ebay.
Off with the bumper and dismantle the lights ( with a hair dryer ) etc.
Replacements - whole headlamp assembly £350 each side ( normal bulbs not clever types)
Demand is high enough that full refurbishments are available.

Many folks recommend under tray and front bumper removal to change front bulbs and save lost skin and lower blood pressure :-(
 Bulbs. - smokie
Halfords will do it for a few quid if you can't be bothered.
 Bulbs. - Zero
I wouldn't trust halfords staff to sit the right way round on a toilet, let alone dick around with the car.
 Bulbs. - R.P.
Hahahahhahahahaha
 Bulbs. - Fullchat
He has a point re the packaging. Must be more lacerations from knives etc than enough :)
 Bulbs. - Zero
Just done it. In truth it really wasnt that difficult or time consuming* just under 5 mins per cluster. But that hand nut hidden behind the trim was an aferthought, clearly to fix an issue, the issue being that the pegs and screws did not pull the seal of the cluster tight against the body and prevent water ingress into the boot.

I can see why they thought it wasnt required when designed, the position of the wire access hole and slope of the body should channel water away from it, clearly it didnt, and the seal looks like a hasty revision design.

*if you know about the secret nut.
 Bulbs. - bathtub tom
>>last time out got an advisory on rear indicators becoming too white.

Have been known to use appropriate coloured Quality Street wrappers inside the lense.
 Bulbs. - No FM2R
Me too. But I seem to recall from the last attempt that they've changed the wrappers to a less suitable style and material.
 Bulbs. - henry k
Buy silver indicator bulbs to avoid future stress and no more stockpiling choc wrappers ?
 Bulbs. - smokie
Talking of which, I remember a few years back being told by the Head Gardener at one of the stately homes that Quality Street wrappers were compostable.

So that Christmas they all went into the dalek.

He was wrong!!
 Bulbs. - Zero
>> Buy silver indicator bulbs to avoid future stress and no more stockpiling choc wrappers ?

The existing bulbs are 8 - 9 years old. I'll not be changing them again.
 Bulbs. - Robin O'Reliant
Even my humble old Almera is a royal PITA to change the front bulbs. I had a sidelight bulb go but couldn't get my fingers under the cross member on the front to grip it and couldn't find where the hell I'd put my offset jawed pliers, so I left it a couple of months till the MoT when they changed it for me FoC.

I might be reduced to buying a new pair of pliers if they don't turn up somewhere.
 Bulbs. - bathtub tom
>> I might be reduced to buying a new pair of pliers if they don't turn
>> up somewhere.

A pair of mine turned under the bonnet of a mate's car. Reckon they'd been there a couple of years, since the last time he'd asked me to look at something.
 Bulbs. - hawkeye
>> >>last time out got an advisory on rear indicators becoming too white.
>>
>> Have been known to use appropriate coloured Quality Street wrappers inside the lense.
>>

I think Quality Street wrappers don't take kindly to heat from the bulb. I'm still using Tamiya Clear Orange X-26 paint on my flaky orange indicator bulbs. The paint is left over from my modelling days. (Stop sniggering at the back, you know I meant model car building).

And I note that Mrs H's Citroen C3 seems to have a fog light bulb painted in clear red. What's happened to the amber or red tint in plastic indicator lenses? Is is made from some fast-disappearing protected animal species that it's now so rare?
 Bulbs. - No FM2R
Just going to leave this here....

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=melophobe
 Bulbs. - hawkeye
Thanks but I've be already been meloned. :)
 Bulbs. - Zero

>> And I note that Mrs H's Citroen C3 seems to have a fog light bulb
>> painted in clear red. What's happened to the amber or red tint in plastic indicator
>> lenses? Is is made from some fast-disappearing protected animal species that it's now so rare?

Blame the vegan terrorists.
Latest Forum Posts