Motoring Discussion > New Battery Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 50

New Battery - Clk Sec
I need a new battery for my 1.8 petrol, and I need it to be delivered to my house.

Recommendations for reliable online suppliers would be most welcome.

Thanks.
 New Battery - sooty123
For car batteries I use carparts4less or halfords.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sat 1 Jun 19 at 13:51
 New Battery - smokie
Recently bought one from batteriesontheweb2011 through eBay, it came from Pellon Tyre & Autocare Centre Ltd. www.ebaystores.co.uk/Batteries-on-the-web

Delivered by Yodel on next day. It was what it was supposed to be, and was the cheapest and most convenient I could find at the time (for the same make/model of battery!)

EDIT

carparts4less it's £112.15
Halfords don't stock Bosch S5 batteries
I paid £76

But do your own research!!
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 1 Jun 19 at 14:01
 New Battery - Duncan
I use Tayna

www.tayna.co.uk/
 New Battery - Falkirk Bairn
>>I need a new battery for my 1.8 petrol,

Make model, year might be useful.

I bought my CRV Battery 12 mths ago from Cox Motor parts - - under £70 delivered next day - local Honda outlet was £100
Same battery, same size, took 10 mins to fit - magic!

Previously used non OEM batteries in other cars which did not fit easily as the battery clamps did not suit the new shape - taller, thinner - right amperage but not the right battery for the job.
 New Battery - smokie
Yeah, good point, I had to get a non-wet battery due to it being "inside the cabin" (it's actually under the boot floor).

The proper AGM ones are quite a bit more expensive but the one I got is also described as non-spill so that'll do, especially as it doesn't have an awful lot to do in my car.

I took advice from others with my car as to which were the same size and shape.
Last edited by: smokie on Sat 1 Jun 19 at 14:57
 New Battery - Dulwich Estate II
I'll second the vote for Tanya. I bought a new battery from them 5 days ago. The price (inc. delivery cost) was good and the service top notch. It arrived next day by DHL and I tracked it all the way. It was very well packed in a venting plastic bag in a box well insulated with polystyrene.

I tracked the delivery and mine was drop-off no. 158 in the day at 8.30pm. The driver said he had 30 more to do that day - he was not a happy man.

PS what is the easiest way to offload the old battery ? I've tried Freecycle where items are usually snapped up in minutes - but no one wants a four year old battery that still works but won't hold a charge longer than week.
 New Battery - bathtub tom
>>what is the easiest way to offload the old battery ?

My local tip accepts them.
 New Battery - Zero
>> >>what is the easiest way to offload the old battery ?
>>
>> My local tip accepts them.

As does mine. Or leave it by the front gate and someone will have it away.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sat 1 Jun 19 at 21:09
 New Battery - CGNorwich
Most Tyre and Exhaust places will take your battery ev even if you didn’t buy a new one from them . Kwik Fit will. Batteries do have a value and are easily re cycled
 New Battery - carmalade
Stick with known brands. Bosch, EXIDE, Yuasa etc. Halfords batteries own brand are overpriced. Avoid Lion make from Ecp or parts for less. Could this be a 1.8 Morris Marina???
 New Battery - Zero
Carpartsforless.com. Get a Bosch delivered.
 New Battery - smokie
See above - they were considerably more expensive for mine.
 New Battery - Clk Sec
I think I'll be going for a Lucas LP005 at £69 from Advanced Battery Supplies.

Thanks all.
 New Battery - smokie
All that advice and you go somewhere else.. .:-)

What swung it? Price? Many cheaper...
 New Battery - carmalade
You need to remember that the Lucas brand is marketed by some other automotive product supplier . They don’t make batteries , they are “label engineered”.
"Or leave it by the front gate and the pye keys will have it away. "

Not in my classy neighbourhood - it's been by the gate since Wednesday and it's still there.

I'm looking for the easiest way of legal disposal. My local (?) tip is 5 miles away which could end up a 1 hour plus return trip with London traffic. It's totally out of my way as I never go in that direction normally. Then of course I'd need to make the battery absolutely secure in the car to prevent acid leakage.

Maybe eBay and price it at 0.01p for collection only.

Or, maybe I'll keep it until armageddon comes. I've still got a lot of 50w halogen spotlight bulbs left over from my LED switchover - I could get maybe 6 hours light from a charge. Loads more time if I find an LED to use.
 New Battery - smokie
"Or leave it by the front gate and someone will have it away. "

I live in a "nice" area too.

However my plumber was replacing my boiler last week. It was an old one but he wanted to salvage a couple of spares from it.

He's also my next door neighbour so I'd said rather than pay him at whatever his hourly rate is, I'd take stuff to the tip and do the tidying etc.

So out came the old one, and we took it out the front and put it down, not out of sight, but not immediately obvious, for me to load and take to the tip later.

I went off to do some shopping and when I came back it had gone. I asked him what he'd doe with it and it turned out someone half-inched it!!

I wasn't that bothered as it was quite a heavy unit to get out of the car at t tip, but I wouldn't normally have expected that round here.

New Battery - sooty123
Our council collect any small waste item, under the size of a microwave, from the side of the road. No charge.
 New Battery - carmalade
A 005 battery must be for a Jap or Asian car . My theory of it being for something by BL is now out the window!
 New Battery - smokie
My Bosch S5 005 was for my Vx Ampera aka GM Volt aka Opel Ampera I think. So maybe not Jap or Asian either :-)
 New Battery - VxFan
Previously had good service from these guys.

www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/
 New Battery - devonite
Scotty Kilmer (You Tube motoring guru) recommends that you should never buy an Optima battery (red or yellow top) because they are "carp" - ever since Optima sold out to some Mexican firm and they now manufacture them there instead of the USA.

Me, I always use Tayna, excellent service as stated above.
 New Battery - Shiny
I would never get one online again after getting my fingers burned on a £130 Varta i1.
Any issues with it and youa re posting back a 20-30KG fragile item which is prohibited by most carriers for individuals without business accounts and special handling arrangements. You are then left without a battery while they 'test' it and say it is OK and please pay £30 for us to send it back to you.
I bought the replacemnt Lion AGM via click & collect from Eurocarparts as at least I can take it back to the branch. If I lived far away, I would have had them deliver it at least they have branches everywhere.
Last edited by: Shiny on Mon 3 Jun 19 at 16:55
A very good point Shiny - the thought of how to arrange a return of a battery had never occurred to me.
 New Battery - RichardW
Chances of a battery failing in warranty period, and you actually making a successful claim are pretty remote... and it's only about the cost of a tank of fuel these days. I'd save the money up front, and just buy another one if it goes down, not worth fretting about.
 New Battery - CGNorwich
When you say “ I always use Tanya” how many batteries do you buy? I can’t remember buying one for about fifteen years. They seem to go on forever.
 New Battery - Zero
>> When you say “ I always use Tanya” how many batteries do you buy? I
>> can’t remember buying one for about fifteen years. They seem to go on forever.

Forever is about 6 - 8 years.
"When you say “ I always use Tanya” how many batteries do you buy?"

I don't think I said it, but I could well have done. I am the "expert" in charge of arranging repairs and servicing to 4 family vehicles. It used to be 5 before my mother stopped driving.

Allowing for car changes at intervals, I reckon I've probably bought maybe 5 batteries in the last 10 - 12 years. Never needed to replace one from Tanya though - free advert from a satisfied customer.
 New Battery - CGNorwich
Probably right. Since i tend to buy cars new or nearly new and sell them within four or five years they don't fail on my watch.

I do remember years ago that they seemed to fail more often although perhaps that is because my cars were older.
 New Battery - hawkeye
>> I had to get a non-wet battery due to it being "inside
>> the cabin" (it's actually under the boot floor).
>>

I don't follow. The Jaguar has a wet battery under its boot floor and the C8 has a wet battery under the driver's feet. Is this a personal 'had to' or some arcane regulation that ordinary mortals are not aware of?
 New Battery - VxFan
>> the C8 has a wet battery under the driver's feet.

Presumably if it goes flat, it will need a toe?
 New Battery - smokie
It's what's recommended - AGM battery. As I didn't fancy battery fluid all over me in the event if a "spill" I went with the recommendation.
 New Battery - Kevin
I've used Tayna before and had good service.

Carmalade, I think it was you who pointed me towards Tayna for sourcing a side terminal battery for my Z28?
 New Battery - DP
Another happy Tayna customer. I've bought several car and bike batteries from them over the years with no issues. Latest purchase was a leisure battery which is currently sitting in a box behind my garden shed, connected to a small solar setup and a set of garden border lights. 2 years and still going strong.
". . . .connected to a small solar setup and a set of garden border lights. 2 years and still going strong. "

Sounds interesting and is something I've pondered about doing. Do you have any more info ?

or web sites to visit please ?
 New Battery - DP
>> Sounds interesting and is something I've pondered about doing. Do you have any more info ?

It's quite straightforward to do if you're comfortable with the principles of a basic DC circuit.

To get something working, you just need four components: A solar charge controller, a leisure battery, a solar panel, and then whatever lighting or other stuff you want to use. Oh and of course the wire to connect it all up.

The charge controller is the heart of the system, to which all the components connect. It is easy enough to wire in, with just three connections (each with positive and negative terminals). One connection is to the battery, the second is to the solar panel (often labelled PV), and the third is to the load (your lights). The charge controller prevents overcharging of the battery in sunny conditions, and also excessive discharging, switching the load off automatically if the battery voltage drops below a pre-determined level.

Rough installation would be as follows:

Site your battery either inside, or in a weatherproof box in a sheltered location. Run a couple of wires from the battery terminals, via an inline fuse on the positive, to the battery terminals on the charge controller. If your battery is being kept outside, it's worth insulating the battery box to protect the battery from frost. I used some old bubble-wrap and foam packaging offcuts. You need to let the battery vent though so don't seal it, and I placed the battery box in a sheltered location between a shed and a brick wall.

Next, connect your solar panel to the charge controller's PV terminals. At this point, your battery will be being charged and maintained by the solar panel and the charge controller.

Then you need to connect your lights to to the load terminals on the charge controller, again ideally through a fuse just in case. I used a cheap four way automotive fuse box.

At this point, you will have a basic working system that can be turned on and off by pressing the load switch on the charge controller.

If the need to physically trek down the garden to do this every time is inconvenient, you can buy 12v remote switches that work off an RF keyfob, a bit like an old fashioned car alarm remote. This is basically a box about the size of a cigarette packet, which has an input (from the load terminals on the charge controller), and then in my case, up to four channels/outputs which you can connect your lights to, that can be switched independently and remotely. You can get single channel ones, up to pretty much as many as you like.

Here are the bits I used:

Charge controller:
www.amazon.co.uk/Anself-Controller-Protection-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B071F4JWKB/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=solar%2Bcharge%2Bcontroller&qid=1560165466&s=gateway&sr=8-7&th=1

Remote switch - enables me to switch the lights on and off from the house, and also split the lighting across up to four separate switches, so I can control each set of lights separately:
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072V2R3JB?aaxitk=CPCZ-zPRZtlT-EhSwwSxrQ&pd_rd_i=B072V2R3JB&pf_rd_p=0bc5e070-4ef7-4065-bdb4-416fd6af2b8b&hsa_cr_id=3633996120002&sb-ci-n=productDescription&sb-ci-v=eMylo%20RF%20Remote%20Control%2012V%20Relay%20Switch%20Wireless%20Switch%20433Mhz%20One%204-Channel%20with%20Two%20Transmitters&sb-ci-a=B072V2R3JB

Fuse box:
www.amazon.co.uk/Qiorange-UNIVERSAL-CIRCUIT-STANDARD-HOLDER/dp/B0752CHS5B/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=4+way+fuse+box&qid=1560165681&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Battery box (check your battery fits - they come in different size) :
www.amazon.co.uk/Caravan-Yellow-Leisure-Battery-Holding/dp/B000XT9ANG/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=battery+box&qid=1560165748&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Lights:
www.amazon.co.uk/ZUCKEO-Transformer-Waterproof-Decorative-spotlights/dp/B07K156JWW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=12v+outdoor+lights&qid=1560165918&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Then you'll just need appropriate lengths of wire to join it all together, plus of course terminals.

All the electronics are mounted in the dry on a board inside the shed, with the wiring going through the back wall of the shed. The battery is in a box down the back of the shed, out of the way (and out of sight), and the solar panel is fixed to the shed roof.

I've also wired the battery and the solar cables through simple toggle switches, so if I do need to isolate either or both for any reason, I don't need to disconnect any wires. This isn't strictly necessary, but I saw it as an additional safety measure that was easy and cheap to do while I was there.

I can't find the exact panel I bought, but it was a 40w one and cost about 60 quid. If I did it again, I'd use a bigger panel, as the battery can sometimes need a top up in winter. You might also consider running a separate set of wires from the battery to an accessible location to enable this without disconnecting any wiring.

Financially, it probably hasn't recouped the investment yet, but it was a fun project to do and is a bit of a talking point among visitors to the house :-)
Last edited by: DP on Mon 10 Jun 19 at 12:50
 New Battery - Bobby
you not got electrics in your shed that you could just link them up to???? :)
 New Battery - Lemma
I too had a solar set up at one time. If you go on Ebay you can buy the panel and electrical gizmos which can then be connected up to a battery. I used mine to remotely charge a caravan battery when parked up beyond the mains. I sold it with the van, but wish I had hung onto it to set up garden lighting.
Thanks DP - that looks very, very useful and interesting. I'll spend many a happy hour looking about. Thanks again.

It's for a place where mains elec isn't practical.
 New Battery - henry k
>> Another happy Tayna customer.
Today is the only Tuesday morning in the month I can get out for two hours.
" booted and suited" but the X type doors would not even try to open using the key fob.
Car was fine on Thursday and I used the compressor to top up the tyres yesterday. GRRRRR!
In retrospect, I missed the early warning yesterday. The compressor was not its normal self so I blamed it and assumed it was on the way out.
So after lots of votes for Tayna i hope they live up to their reputation and deliver an expensive Yuasa battery tomorrow.
Fortunately I am not concerned about the price but need the battery for Thursday morning, my weekly shopping day, else it is a hobble to the local convenience store.

The existing battery is about six years old ( two batteries in 12 years since new) so I should be able to relax again re reliability during the winter.
The X types seem to really not like poor batteries and display a bad temper with all sorts of codes and odd happenings so that's sorted.
I got no funny warning events as it seemed to just die in a few days of non use.
I await my Tayna delivery.
 New Battery - smokie
"The X types seem to really not like poor batteries and display a bad temper with all sorts of codes"

Same with my Ampera, which is why I did a preemptive swap a few months back.
 New Battery - Zero
>> "The X types seem to really not like poor batteries and display a bad temper
>> with all sorts of codes"
>>
>> Same with my Ampera, which is why I did a preemptive swap a few months
>> back.

Nearly every modern car is screwed rigid by a failed battery, some subsystems take a lot of miles to sort themselves out again, it was over 50 miles in the volvo before the last warning light went out.
 New Battery - Kevin
All Jags get bad tempered if the battery isn't holding it's charge although my current XJ is better than the XJ8 I had which was even teperamental about replacement bulbs.

First sign of a low battery voltage is usually ABS and Traction Control fault messages when it does it's checks while starting the engine.
 New Battery - jc2
I see the failure of a stand-by generator at Ipswich Hospital last week was caused by the failure of a battery-a Japanese Yuasa,I believe.
 New Battery - henry k
>> I see the failure of a stand-by generator at Ipswich Hospital last week
>>was caused by the failure of a battery-a Japanese Yuasa,I believe.
>>
Now you tell me :-)
Next day delivery still hopeful.
I am number 90 on today's local DHL round so expected this afternoon.
 New Battery - Falkirk Bairn
>>failure of a stand-by generator at Ipswich Hospital

45 years ago I worked in an M&S. Diesel generator in the basement - battery was charged
every 2 weeks IIRC & the generator run once per month for some 20 mins but only on a check load. Every 6 months it was tried for real, by throwing the power switch,at 5.30 in the morning to simulate a power cut.

In the whole time I was there is was never needed - wiring allowed about 1/3rd of shop lights, all corridors had some lights + all the fridges & freezers.

No longer needed in Falkirk - they closed the store!
 New Battery - henry k
So an update.
14:00 yesterday - ordered
14:15 posted/ collected
05:00 at Croydon distribution
15:20 arrived . Well packed. Labels/reminder to remove transit plugs.
15:40- 16:40 was target window.

Swap done and all seems OK.
Next day delivery worked well so I can zoom around tomorrow as normal.
 New Battery - Duncan
Have you fitted, does it work?
 New Battery - Zero
>> Have you fitted, does it work?
>
The line "swap done all seems ok" could be a massive clue Miss Marple.
 New Battery - tyrednemotional
>>
>> The line "swap done all seems ok" could be a massive clue Miss Marple.
>>

....that might have been the car, though......
Latest Forum Posts