Motoring Discussion > Certificate of Insurance Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 27

Certificate of Insurance - Ambo
Do forum members keep the originals of their certificates in their cars, or a copy, or neither?

Only the originals have legal force but I expect losing one would involve a £25 fee for a replacement.
 Certificate of Insurance - Robin O'Reliant
I can have as many "Originals" as I like, Bearing in mind I just print off what Tesco send me online.
 Certificate of Insurance - Zero
no such thing now as "the original", and no I dont carry one, and the police dont expect you to have one, its all on-line. The certificate is as redundant as the tax disk.
 Certificate of Insurance - VxFan
I keep the original at home, with all my other car and bike docs.

If I need to access my insurance cert while out and about, I can just log into the Direct Line website and can access it from there.

Police have been able to access people's insurance details from MIB (Motor Insurers' Bureau) for quite some time now, so no need to carry around your docs.
 Certificate of Insurance - Bromptonaut
I'm not convinced the 'original' has any value least of all in the event of a police stop.

Unless/until there's a process where the original has to include anti forgery technology like watermarks or banknote type stuff then it's indistinguishable from something printed at home. The arbiter is MIB. I believe police can access detailed information including names of permitted drivers and types of use covered.

Like RO'R I can print as many as I like from the stuff e-mailed to me by LV.
 Certificate of Insurance - CGNorwich
Don't forget to print off a copy and take it with you if you take your car abroad
>> Don't forget to print off a copy and take it with you if you take your car abroad

Little chance of that. Last time I went abroad was approx. 1999 on a one year temp passport (remember those?). Wasn't even driving, it was a coach trip to Paris to see Jean-Michel Jarre doing a music and laser show under the Eiffel Tower.
Wow, any reason?
Not really. Happy enough in Blighty.
 Certificate of Insurance - Runfer D'Hills
We really are all different I suppose, and I guess so it should be.

But, if I get a few moments to reflect on my life when it comes time to check out, I'd like to think that I'll remember with joy the things I got right and with contrition the things I got wrong, but regret only the things I meant to do, but never got around to.
 Certificate of Insurance - legacylad
Still scratching that 911 itch Runfer ?
 Certificate of Insurance - Crankcase

>> to see Jean-Michel Jarre doing a music and laser show under the Eiffel Tower.

I went to see him once. I was disconcerted to discover that almost every other chap there had the same clothes as I did, and when I went into the gents at halftime there were four blokes standing in a row all wearing the same pattern M&S jumper as me.

Either that or I'd walked into the hall of mirrors by mistake.
 Certificate of Insurance - BiggerBadderDave
"there were four blokes standing in a row all wearing the same pattern M&S jumper as me"

Could have been a lot worse. You could be wearing jeans so tight they look like Max Wall. Look out of the window. Hysterical. That's what they're wearing. From five metres away they look like they're wearing tights.

It's the Emperor's clothes effect. Sooner or later, they'll realise they look ridiculous and discreetly change for something less embarrassing. Someone else to copy.
 Certificate of Insurance - No FM2R

>>access people's insurance details from MIB (Motor Insurers' Bureau)

Not MIB, MID.

www.motor-insurance-database-initiative.co.uk/
Yeah, that one ;)
 Certificate of Insurance - henry k
>> Police have been able to access people's insurance details from MIB (Motor Insurers' Bureau) >>for quite some time now, so no need to carry around your docs.
>>
Provided the data base is updated pdq.
On an early Sunday evening, less than two hours after my son traded in his car for another, we were stopped by the BIB.
The database fortunately was up to date.
 Certificate of Insurance - jc2
In the Uk,there is no requirement(and never has been-police would issue a "producer"to carry your documents in the car.They or their office can do computer check anyway!
 Certificate of Insurance - smokie
Much to SWMBOs disgust I keep barely any paperwork nowadays, anything I want to keep that arrives by snailmail gets scanned and the originals disposed (sometimes by shredding). That includes (the important bits of) manuals for stuff I buy, though you can often find the manuals online as PDFs anyway.

It is scanned onto my own cloud and is accessible from anywhere using the internet. (Yes. I know sometimes there are connectivity problems).

So I hardly keep paper anything, and deffo don't carry it round with me!! :-)
 Certificate of Insurance - sooty123
I can't remember the last time I got a paper copy of my car insurance, all been electronic copies for years.
 Certificate of Insurance - Fullchat
"In the Uk,there is no requirement(and never has been-police would issue a "producer"to carry your documents in the car."

I'm afraid that is not correct and is a modern day misconception.

The legislation actually states that it is an offence to fail to produce DL, Ins, MOT and Vehicle Registration Document when requested by a Constable at the time. You should be reported for the offence at the time.

However the legislation states that providing the relevent document is produced within 7 days OR as soon as practicable OR in any event before proceedings are commenced there will be no further action.

The reality and good practice is/was that 7 day producers were issued. Developments in technology has allowed databases to be checked at the roadside so all is good.

However the original legislation is still in place.

So for all those Youtube barrack room lawyers the first 'in' for the Police to ruin there day can be the failing to produce at the time.

Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 18 Jun 19 at 18:34
I think the last time I got a producer was in 1987, when I was stopped for "Making progress".
Really dislike that euphemism. Speeding is speeding.
 Certificate of Insurance - R.P.
All my certificates from L&V are on my e-mail account. Never considered keeping the "originals" anywhere else since the dawn of the internet ! :-)...I printed off my Travel Insurance for my trip to Vietnam despite it being on my e-mail. Primary reason being that in the event of being run over or falling off my bike someone else without access to my e-mail account would need access to it.
>> Really dislike that euphemism. Speeding is speeding.
>>

Alright then, making rapid progress.
 Certificate of Insurance - Kevin
>I think the last time I got a producer was in 1987, when I was stopped for "Making progress".

Last time I got a producer was also in the mid-80s.

I'd been pulled over around 1am by a WPC in a panda car who first accused me of speeding (I wasn't) and then switched to "Have you been drinking Sir?" (I hadn't). Blow into the box and it's clear so given a producer.

Take my papers to the cop shop a couple of days later and the desk jockey is fuming.

"Not another @*!"£$ one!!"

Apparently she was a newbie and had been stopping anything that moved and handing out producers. I suspect someone was going to have a word with her when she turned up for her next shift.
 Certificate of Insurance - No FM2R
I should think early 80s for me.

I'd been tediously traveling up the Kings Road in Reading crawling along at 29.9mph or whatever it was following a Panda car. It eventually went one side of Cemetery Junction and I was going the other side so I sought to make up lost time.

Unfortunately the car directly behind me was also a Panda car. ho hum.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 18 Jun 19 at 20:29
 Certificate of Insurance - Bromptonaut
>> Last time I got a producer was also in the mid-80s.

I got one in March 1982.

Older male copper was lurking under a tree where Golders Green road crosses the North Circular and flagged me down as I turned left to Hendon intending to go round block and back towards my flat share off the Finchley Road. I'd been on what would be a weekly trip to a YHA group event in Wembley. My then recently acquired 1973 Mini had a defective sealed beam unit, had the replacement in the back but needed time and plus gas freeing oil to fit it so one light was displaying side only.

Got ticked off and had to produce my docs which I did at Bow St.

Saw him week after week in same place - clearly a happy hunting ground.
 Certificate of Insurance - R.P.
1990 ? Fog lights on - bad man, very bad man.
Latest Forum Posts