Motoring Discussion > Citroen C8 MPV - Disaster or stroke of luck? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 5

Citroen C8 MPV - Disaster or stroke of luck? - hawkeye
It's annual service time for the C8. Just replaced the rear brake discs, pads and cables and well as the oil and filter stuff and I've been round the car bleeding a quantity of brake fluid. Time for a road test and to see if I can make the ABS work. Up to 25mph and kick the bake pedal. It goes down to the carpet. Roadside inspection shows the right rear wheel is covered in fluid. Have I lost my marbles and left a bleed nipple open? Gingerly drive the 100 metres back home and remove the wheel. Mrs H can make a jet of fluid travel some 5 metres across the yard from a split at the union to the caliper.

As I have done a time or two before, having spent what seems a lifetime tending to rusty Citroens, I've folded the brake pipe and squashed it with mole grips to stop the fluid dripping. At least the car stops with 3 discs working now. Tomorrow I'll ask the garage to do both sides at the rear; I don't want to push my luck in France next month.

Just as well it didn't go pop at 60mph with the caravan on the back eh?
 Citroen C8 MPV - Disaster or stroke of luck? - sooty123
A lesson learnt there, a clean cloth or a bag tie wrapped around the open line is a good idea.
>> A lesson learnt there, a clean cloth or a bag tie wrapped around the open
>> line is a good idea.
>>

Evidently I haven't explained it well enough for you to deduce there was no open end. The fluid was escaping from a tiny corrosion-induced split next to the pipe-to-caliper union. Invisible among the road dirt and fluid. Mole grips tightened a convenient right-angle bend and then, with increasing pressure, sealed the pipe.

Otherwise open brake pipes are covered with a 'finger' from used protective gloves and secured with gardening wire. Anyone saying 'Marigolds' at this point will be ignored.

:)
Last edited by: hawkeye on Sun 23 Jun 19 at 23:12
 Citroen C8 MPV - Disaster or stroke of luck? - bathtub tom
>>kick the bake pedal. It goes down to the carpet.

Weren't dual braking systems designed to prevent that from happening?
>> >>kick the bake pedal. It goes down to the carpet.
>>
>> Weren't dual braking systems designed to prevent that from happening?
>>

I thought so too. The car did stop, in a kind of leisurely, uncommitted way.
 Citroen C8 MPV - Disaster or stroke of luck? - Lygonos
Happened on my old Forester - burst pipe at NSF wheel - pedal went pretty much to the floor but the 2nd circuit kicked in near the carpet.
Latest Forum Posts