Motoring Discussion > New Car Time Buying / Selling
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 72

New Car Time - zippy
The Tuscon goes back in January 2020 and it's time to start looking for a replacement.

This time round it needs to be smaller, ideally SUV, automatic, lots of safety tech, cruise control, max 17 inch wheels.

Have some cachet with the colleagues at work and mates and not have a silly name - I am looking at you Kia Stonic!

Current lease cost is a steal at £380 per month for 25k miles a year (non-maintained) for the Premium 1.7TDI DCT (Sat Nav, lane assist, BLIS, radar crash protection, leather seats, heat seats (front and back) etc.)

Be comfortable for a 3 hour run and 7 hours occasionally.

Don't mind something left field but bullet proof reliability is required.

Budget £18k to £20k topside, or £380 pm lease. If I buy it, I would hope to keep it for 3 to 5 years.

Any ideas?
 New Car Time - Crankcase
Lexus NX 300h on lease?
 New Car Time - sooty123
How about a crv or is that too big?
 New Car Time - sooty123
Or a cx5?

If you were to buy how old would you be looking at?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 5 Jul 19 at 18:01
 New Car Time - R.P.
Easy - XC40 ! :-)
 New Car Time - zippy
>> Or a cx5?
>>
>> If you were to buy how old would you be looking at?
>>

As bullet proof reliability is key, i am looking for as new as possible. I would say, anything with a 3 year warranty needs to be pre-reg to 3 months old.

Anything with a 5 year warranty can be older, but to six months max.

New Car Time - zippy
All nice choices at the mo.

A little on the expensive side though. Remember the budget is for an auto at either under £400 a month or £20k tops unless its something very special. Mileage for lease is 25k PA.

The CRV and MX5 are a little on the big side, about the same size as the current Tuscon which is too big for some of the city center car parks (shame because for everything else its just about right).

The XC40 is a little too new to get any deals on pricing at the mo and I am really not a fan of the C pillar wedge on it.

Very fussy here - sorry! :-)
 New Car Time - sooty123
How about a cx3, smaller version of the cx5.

Mg zs
Ford ecosport
Juke
Seat arona
Hyundai kona looks a mini tucson.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Fri 5 Jul 19 at 20:22
 New Car Time - zippy
>> How about a cx3, smaller version of the cx5.
>>
>> Mg zs
>> Ford ecosport
>> Juke
>> Seat arona
>> Hyundai kona looks a mini tucson.
>>

MG ZS - no dealers nearby - which is a pain for servicing.

Ford - Ecosport (girls car - I know, I can't help it, but once seen as that....)

Juke - apparently unreliable in CVT format, otherwise a good choice and very good value for money.

Seat Arona - not convinced on the looks.

Hyundai Kona - yes as long as I can get the kit levels right.

What is the house's view on the Suzuki S-Cross / Vitara?
 New Car Time - zippy
The CX-3 looks good also.
 New Car Time - riddler
I got a CX3 Sport Nav+ 2.0 Auto via Drive the Deal for £20K with the Safety Pack and metallic paint. Excellent drive comfortable and relaxing o drive. Comes with heated seats and steering wheel. Safety Pack includes blind spot monitoring, adaptive LED lights and rear cross traffic alert. Thoroughly recommended.
 New Car Time - sooty123
> What is the house's view on the Suzuki S-Cross / Vitara?
>>

I didn't add it as you were concerned about image, to me it's a pensioners car. Wouldn't bother me, but might bother others.
 New Car Time - Runfer D'Hills
All Sitty Uppy Vehicles are girls cars. With the possible exception of Range Rovers ( proper Range Rovers that is ) Discoverys and Land Cruisers.

Sorry, but they just are. ;-)
 New Car Time - legacylad
hasta el tuyo
Nothing personal
Maybe google translate got that wrong, but it’s derogatory!
Last edited by: legacylad on Fri 5 Jul 19 at 22:54
 New Car Time - No FM2R
There is no translation for that insult in Spanish, it makes no sense.
 New Car Time - legacylad
Yes, I used ‘google translate’. It’s gibberish. Apologies.
Even my mainland EU gf makes similar remarks as Runfer, and she drives a shabby C5
 New Car Time - tyrednemotional
>> All Sitty Uppy Vehicles are girls cars.

...tell that to the roughneck who's just parked his Yukon XL next to my hire Santa Fe. Driven by lumberjacks, so you'll probably want one ;-).

The CX3 is a very desirable little car let down by packaging - the interior space is very sub-par.

The Suzuki Vitara is a very competent and generally reliable vehicle, but image may be an issue, as may be the interior, though it is much better after the recent facelift.
It's ok T&E, you tell him. Just say, "I say old chap, there are people back home who would say that was a bit of a girls car, not that I would...look here that's not a very nice thing to do to a visitor to your country now is it..."

;-))
...I just gave him your address and showed him your post. It diverted his attention from the fact that I'd opened my door against the side of his car. ;-)

Apparently, he's off to some Welsh forest in a month to do some felling, and said he might "look you up" (at least, that's what it sounded like, but with the Canadian accent you never can tell ;-) )

(The standard Yukon is big enough, but the XL is a real brute)
Quite similar to a Vitara then? Enjoy your new chums...
;-)
>>Enjoy your new chums...
>> ;-)
>>

...he's a lumberjack and he's OK....

;-)
Be careful T&E, he probably just likes dressing up as a lumberjack and driving around in his rufty tufty car.

That's what SUVs are for isn't it? ( and girls of course )

Anyway, there's 7 hours separating our posts, so it's probably too late...

;-)
 New Car Time - Falkirk Bairn
If CRV is too big - HRV Sport - 1.5 turbo -same engine (180BHP) as CRV & Civic
Much smaller than Tucson, goes reasonably well - 0-60 in 7.5 seconds
Nicely kitted out, will be reliable (HRVs now Japan & Not Mexico)
 New Car Time - Boxsterboy
Peugeot 2008 with 1.2 and 8-speed proper auto (new model coming soon, though prob not soon enough for you). That’s what HJ often tells his readers, along with Citroen C3 Aircross, Mazda CX3 and Suzuki
 New Car Time - Bobby
When I was looking for my auto SUV , various folk told me BMW or Merc are the billet proof autos to consider.

I wanted a Qashqai due to the toys but the CVT auto had its critics ( this has now been replaced in new models). Colleague got one, the CVT, and preferred it to his Kia Ceed auto that he had before.

Going down a size prob means smaller than Qashqai as well so you are more into Mokka size? HRV is a Jazz on stilts.

What about the 2 series BMW, done think it’s more MPV rather than SUV but would get a good auto box?
 New Car Time - PeterS
My BMW was MOT’ed and had a brake fluid change on Thursday, and the courtesy car was an X1 2.0D x-drive auto in M Sport trim. Perfectly okay, though didn’t feel particularly BMW like. Just a lump of car. Couldn’t really get used to the driving position, but there was plenty of room for rear seat passengers. I’d rather have had a three series though I think!

Don’t order black with black leather...I don’t like getting into a car that’s a million degrees after and afternoon in the sun! Was reasonably nippy, but ran out of steam quickly. Still, the 8 speed auto worked hard to mask that. Don’t chose black or m sport, dump the x-drive, spec sport or comfort seats and a light interior and I’m sure it’d be fine! The X2 looks nicer though ;)
 New Car Time - Avant
Add these to your short-list:

Audi Q2 (like mine - excellent)
VW T-Roc or smaller T-Cross
Peugeot 3008

Toyota CHR or Honda HRV only if you can stand the looks (I couldn't)

Did someone mention the Hyundai Kona? - not quite such a silly name as the Stonic.
 New Car Time - zippy
I have been looking at some second hand prices and was really surprised to see second hand prices of the Mazda CX-3 more expensive than a new one from "Drive The Deal"...

2L SE-L NAV Auto £18391 on "DTD" and £18,990 on a dealers website pre-reg.
 New Car Time - legacylad
I’ve never looked inside a CX3, let alone driven one, so cannot comment. Earlier this year I had two brand new Pug 208 rentals, back to back, 6 weeks in total. The 1.2 3 cyl with 110 horses. Cheap and nasty interior. If the 2008 is similar then I’d avoid. The two 208s were immediately followed by a 308 for 2 weeks. Again the 1.2 3cyl but this time 130 horses in Allure trim. Leagues better in every department.
My point is that if the 2008, as recommended here, is based on the 208, then I’d definitely look at a 3008 if it’s based on a 308 which had far superior interior materials to the 208. Obviously at a price with the 6 speed auto box
Not enough room inside for me, but it looks gorgeous in the metallic red (that the majority of the press road test cars are provided in).
 New Car Time - Lygonos
eNiro

33 grand

Fuel cost over 100k miles/4yr even at full fat leccy charge = £5,000 (<£2k on night tariff)

Fuel cost at 40mpg fossil for 100k miles ~£15,000

Order now and maybe you'll get one next June...
 New Car Time - Manatee
>> eNiro
>> Fuel cost over 100k miles/4yr even at full fat leccy charge = £5,000 (<£2k on
>> night tariff)

And almost exactly £10,000 of the £15,000 fossil cost, at £1.25/litre, is fuel duty and VAT whilst there is only £240 VAT in £5,000 worth of electricity. The underlying fuel cost is almost the same.

Leccy car adoption is poised for take-off. Has Bozo costed this into his tax cuts for the rich? If tax can't be raised selectively on the electricity used for charging cars then where will it come from?
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 8 Jul 19 at 10:14
Ironic isn't it that the section of the population who would most benefit from the fuel cost savings of a electric vehicle would be those who have the most restricted budgets and can't afford one, and the longest distances to travel, and might find the range a problem.

If you're wealthy enough to buy one, and don't need to go very far, the savings are appreciable and the range acceptable. But if you do fall into the latter category, you can probably manage fine with a V8.

;-)
 New Car Time - Manatee
Similarly the feed in tariffs for electricity generation - the cost of which was added to everybody's bills. An efficient method of transferring money from poor people to people able to afford solar panels.
 New Car Time - Bromptonaut
>> Similarly the feed in tariffs for electricity generation - the cost of which was added
>> to everybody's bills. An efficient method of transferring money from poor people to people able
>> to afford solar panels.

Exactly. People I see at work struggling to top up their key cards (at a cost per unit way in excess of what I'm paying on direct debit) are paying towards the solar panels on roof of my neighbour who is in well remunerated retirement.
 New Car Time - smokie
Regarding the FITS payment. In my case, and I'm not sure I'm alone, I made an investment nearly 8 years ago in solar panels. This year I should get back the amount I invested, without any allowance for interest or inflation. How does that match up to others investments, which often depend on share values in businesses whose share price rises with improved profits, which is often directly or indirectly a cost to each and every consumer??

Once I break into profit I will be on a decent return for the remaining years for which the payment is guaranteed (probably around 12% pa at current rates for c.17 years) but if you apply the return across the full 25 year period when I was getting nothing for the first eight it isn't so great. And there si a good possibility I will have at least some maintenance cost during that time, probably equivalent to about a year of income.

That's ignoring any contribution to the environment that solar panels may make.

I'm not complaining about it as an investment but just pointing out the realities.

Last edited by: smokie on Mon 8 Jul 19 at 13:10
 New Car Time - commerdriver
>> Ironic isn't it that the section of the population who would most benefit from the
>> fuel cost savings of a electric vehicle would be those who have the most restricted
>> budgets and can't afford one, and the longest distances to travel, and might find the
>> range a problem.
>>
While I agree totally that the cost savings are not available to those who would benefit most, I cannot agree that range would really be a problem to most people for 99% of their journeys.
Sure, there are issues with home charging for many people and public/work charging is still fairly rare but it is still the way things are going and the hordes of large, mainly diesel, 4x4s that line Marlow High St are not long for this world
 New Car Time - zippy
>>eNiro

and the almost equivalent Kona.

So tempting, but I spend at least one (regularly 2+) night a week at hotels and so far this year, not one has had an electric car charging point - a mix of chains like Holiday Inn, Premier Inn (who should all know better) and independents.

Most of the businesses I visit don't have chargers either and of the few that do, the spaces are taken up by their directors and their PHEV Mitsubishis or Teslas.

The nearest lease cost for an e-Nero on 3+35 / 25k miles is £728 per month!!!
Last edited by: zippy on Mon 8 Jul 19 at 13:32
>> So tempting, but I spend at least one (regularly 2+) night a week at hotels
>> and so far this year, not one has had an electric car charging point -
>> a mix of chains like Holiday Inn, Premier Inn (who should all know better) and
>> independents.
>>
I sam in the same position usually my current client in Swindon has 20 charge points operated for it by Polar. The local Marriott does not have one but the local Holiday Inn does and I have also used a ground floor room at the Holiday Inn and charged the car on the 13A "granny" charger out of the bedroom window.

As I said, it's not ready yet but it is coming.
And you and I are not typical motorists,
 New Car Time - zippy
>> As I said, it's not ready yet but it is coming.
>> And you and I are not typical motorists,
>>

True.

What's going to happen though, a solution for 80% or 90% of the population - i.e. a true range of say 400 miles and anyone that needs more is going to sort themselves out or get a generator on a trailer...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Range_extender_(vehicle)
If a hotel, always supposing it has a car park, installs 20 charging points, but has 100 bedrooms...yeah, it's going to be a while yet isn't it?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Mon 8 Jul 19 at 14:31
 New Car Time - zippy
>> If a hotel, always supposing it has a car park, installs 20 charging points, but
>> has 100 bedrooms...yeah, it's going to be a while yet isn't it?
>>

And pricing at hotel rates - have you seen how much a Snickers is from the mini-bar!
Exactly, and always supposing you've actually managed to bag one of the charging points, you're not going to give it up to nip down to Sainsburys to buy your own reasonably priced Snickers now are you?

Got you every way up haven't they?
>> If a hotel, always supposing it has a car park, installs 20 charging points, but
>> has 100 bedrooms...yeah, it's going to be a while yet isn't it?
>>
It is going to be a while but it is coming and being negative will not change that.

At the client I am currently at in Swindon, with about 3-4000 workers in the 2 main buildings, when they had 8 charging points we had a workable booking system. Since they installed the others to take it up to 20, I have never failed to get a charger when I have wanted one. You don't need one point per resident at a hotel, or one per worker in an office, it does not take 24 hours to charge a car, and very few drivers need to charge from empty to 200 miles range every day
Negative?

I prefer "realistic", it's a completely chicken and egg dilemma.
 New Car Time - No FM2R
>>, it's a completely chicken and egg dilemma.

No, it's not, because it's got a ton of pressure on one side of the 'dilemma' - The law and the media.
 New Car Time - zippy
>> At the client I am currently at in Swindon, with about 3-4000 workers in the
>> 2 main buildings, when they had 8 charging points we had a workable booking system.
>> Since they installed the others to take it up to 20, I have never failed
>> to get a charger when I have wanted one. You don't need one point per
>> resident at a hotel, or one per worker in an office, it does not take
>> 24 hours to charge a car, and very few drivers need to charge from empty
>> to 200 miles range every day
>>

I am really pro the electric movement. But don't own one yet because it doesn't work for me.

I tend to fuel my car to the brim, when it needs it, usually the next filling station when its down to an 8th of the tank.

That process will clearly need changing when I finally take the plunge and more time will need to be spent planning journeys.
>> I am really pro the electric movement. But don't own one yet because it doesn't
>> work for me.
>>
Pure electric doesn't work for me either, but for the rest of my family, 6 other drivers, it would work well. If the price was right I think the majority of the driving population could do it. As has been said before this group of people are not typical motorists.

It will not happen in the near future but in 10 years, maybe less, the world will be a bit different.
 New Car Time - Duncan
We have done all this before.

I believe that in ten or twenty years time, our electric cars will, once we have selected "charge when available", on the app, drive themselves to the nearest charging point, plug itself in, put in a pre-selected amount of charge, unplug, and drive itself back to your parking spot. The money will come off your pre-registered credit card.

Or something like that.
I had a cat like that. Used to sneak into other people's houses and steal food. It got quite fat.
 New Car Time - smokie
Not sure that ownership will be "a thing" for many in 10 or 20 years time.

Also they are already working on stuff which means your car is left permanently plugged in, so sometimes it draws on the grid and other times it feeds back in.

IMO the only thing we can be sure of is that this whole arena will change massively somehow or another in your time frame!!
Car "ownership" is pretty inefficient for most people. You have this thing 365/24/7 sitting around doing nothing most of the time except costing money and taking up space.

It gets used for an hour or two a day at most in many cases, and yet lurks there sucking money out of your bank account.

It's pretty obvious that the next phase is personal transport on demand. If you need a single person or two man pod to take you work, that's what you order, if you need a load or people lugging one you just select that option on your app.

It's not a very new concept, taxis have been around since horse drawn times, but the new age ones will be driverless and available more or less immediately.

Only solution that would still need to be found is what to do with your luggage/equipment if you're stopping mid way through a journey but will need to move it again later. Maybe car parks won't have cars in them but will provide temporary parking options for the detachable luggage compartments ( like little mini containers )

New Car Time - Zero
>> Car "ownership" is pretty inefficient for most people. You have this thing 365/24/7 sitting around
>> doing nothing most of the time except costing money and taking up space.

Its efficient, very. Cost effective? No.
 New Car Time - Manatee
I would say effective, but not efficient.
It really isn't cost effective, divide the total annual costs of running your ( or anyone's car ) finance, depreciation, fuel, parking, insurance, servicing, repairs, tyres, tax etc by the number of hours it's used in a year ( quick guesstimate of hours used might be achieved by dividing annual mileage by 40 ) and its freaking scary.

I like having my own car/s as do most people here I'd guess, but you don't want to think too hard about the ( cost ) efficiencies.

We have been the lucky ones, it'll all be banned eventually.
 New Car Time - BiggerBadderDave
"Maybe car parks won't have cars in them"

Blimey. That's the end of my sex life, then.

New Car Time - CGNorwich

>> Blimey. That's the end of my sex life, then.
>>
>> Runfwr says there will be two man pods so you might have to change your preferences.

>>
I think you have mistaken me for a Welshman CG. No one could be at peace with that.
:-(
 New Car Time - Duncan
>> Car "ownership" is pretty inefficient for most people. You have this thing 365/24/7 sitting around
>> doing nothing most of the time except costing money and taking up space.

No. No. No.

You cannot have that. To write 365/24/7 is plain wrong. Just that - wrong.

365/24 yes.
52/7/24 yes.

But 365/24/7 is incorrect.

Sorry.
That's ok Duncan, I unreservedly accept your apology.

;-)
 New Car Time - zippy
>> But 365/24/7 is incorrect.

24/7 pendant alert!

;-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Jul 19 at 02:03
 New Car Time - CGNorwich
365/24

The 365 bit is only correct three years out of four and 24 bit should surely make allowance for daylight saving which results in a 23 and a 25.

Just like a bit of accuracy.
Are there pills available to treat autism?

Just asking.

;-)
 New Car Time - Duncan
Strange, isn't it? The different things that trigger a response to a post?
 New Car Time - Lygonos
Got bog all to do with electric cars other than the brand - I think the automatic brakes are impressive on the Model 3:

youtu.be/cMiZa3HgRVE?t=2m3s

(the one with the kid walking from between the cars is witchcraft)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 8 Jul 19 at 23:31
 New Car Time - Avant
"24/7 pendant alert!"

Is that something that reminds a lady that she's still wearing one round her neck when she goes to bed?

(I hate the expression 24/7. 'Day and night' will do fine for me.)
 New Car Time - Duncan
>> Is that something that reminds a lady that she's still wearing one round her neck
>> when she goes to bed?

Nice to hear from you.

How are things going in the other place?
 New Car Time - CGNorwich
There are but I find they interfere with my ability to concentrate on my collection of 16,523 Star Wars figures.

>> Also they are already working on stuff which means your car is left permanently plugged
>> in, so sometimes it draws on the grid and other times it feeds back in.

>>

...b***** hell! I'm going to need a long lead for my driving pattern, let alone Runfer..

;-)
 New Car Time - Bobby
Had reason to get a train today from Bathgate railway station.

Two charging points. One had an i3 and the other a 3 or 5 series plugged in. Were there when I got train at 9 and still there at 4. Not quite sure if they should be sitting there all day and I wonder how dependant they were on that charge if they had turned up and someone else had planned to spend the day at it?
Commuter railway stations are the one place not really suitable for charging points as you found, plugging in to a charger and then leaving your car there all day does not make sense, workday chargers need to be at or near place of work so you can shift when you are charged.
Even once your car is charged the cable is locked until you unlock the car.
 New Car Time - No FM2R
Why would you need a long lead for Runfer?
 New Car Time - Avant
Yes, a short lwad should be e nough - he's only got four cylinders.

Thanks for the good wishes Duncan - yes, all is well on the HJ forum and I'm still moderator. We're more of a place people come to for advice rather than a chatshop, so it's good to have alternatives.
Latest Forum Posts