Motoring Discussion > Bangers and Cash
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 21

Bangers and Cash - Duncan
Bangers and Cash is on Yesterday channel. They are now repeating the repeats.

yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/bangers-and-cash/

Good, harmless fun. A family classic car auction business set in North Yorkshire. Surely this must have been discussed on here before? Have I not been paying attention again? It's my age you know.
 Bangers and Cash - VxFan
>> Surely this must have been discussed on here before?

Not according to a forum search.
 Bangers and Cash - BiggerBadderDave
Fantastic, that program. Very enjoyable. I discovered it a few weeks ago.

Every now and again I check the classic car websites to see if there might be a Peugeot 505 which I really would love to have. There was one on Friday, an '84 GTi, absolutely perfect for me. It was being auctioned on Saturday at Mathewson's - them from off the telly.

It wasn't sold, it's now on offer, meaning it didn't make the reserve or nobody was interested. Sooo tempting to call them and make an offer. It's perfect for me. My first car was one but a '79 pre facelift model. I'm just about to go on holiday... blah blah blah... wife won't let me... lame excuses...

mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/9491-saturday-6th-july
 Bangers and Cash - Fullchat
Enjoyed browsing through that.

The 2.3 Viva was strangely attractive.

Check out the red interior of the 1.3 Capri - Yuk!

And the 2.8 Brooklands was nice. Came very close to buying one a couple of years ago for £5 under £20.000 which was the guide price for this one which is lower mileage and appears in very good fettle. Money ended up eventually going on something else :(
 Bangers and Cash - Bromptonaut
>> Check out the red interior of the 1.3 Capri - Yuk!

A 1.3 Capri must have been a real yuk whatever.

Hostelling friend of mine back in early 80s had a 1.6. He simply wouldn't believe my Peugeot 104ZS could get to 60 quicker......
 Bangers and Cash - No FM2R
>>A 1.3 Capri must have been a real yuk whatever.

Oh it was, but....

We drove on crappy country roads where 60mph was unlikely and certainly we had no expectation of getting around a corner at that speed. Consequently the Capri's lack of power or cornering ability didn't matter much.

Actually starting was a far higher priority than what it could do once if did start. Not that a Capri was good at starting in the damp/cold but I lived at the top of a hill.

Prettiness mattered. And the Capri was pretty. At least to us.

Though the aspiration was the MKI 1600GT with the pretend grills by the back wheels, in green with a black vinyl roof.

Now if that is not a sophisticated performance machine I don't know what is.
 Bangers and Cash - Zero
>
>> Hostelling friend of mine back in early 80s had a 1.6. He simply wouldn't believe
>> my Peugeot 104ZS could get to 60 quicker......

Your 104 was as pretty as a house brick covered in sloppy mortar.

Despite its lack of horse power, the capri had more pulling power in its fake rear side vent that a car park full of 104's

>> Your 104 was as pretty as a house brick covered in sloppy mortar.

It was a ZS. The so called 'short cut' version on which the Talbot Samba was based. it was only about a foot longer than a Mini, though it was built of solid stuff so was heavier. There's a link to a picture of it somewhere in here.

The 1124cc engine with twin choke carb produced (IIRC) 66bhp. It was an early warm hatch, alongside it Renault compatriot the 5TS. It was pretty nippy and could fly through bends like it was on rails.
Picture here along with other members of the Brompton fleet.

s809.photobucket.com/user/bromptonaut/library/Bean%20Can?page=1
 Bangers and Cash - Zero
>> Picture here along with other members of the Brompton fleet.
>>
>> s809.photobucket.com/user/bromptonaut/library/Bean%20Can?page=1

Ah well, ok I did get that wrong

Two bricks, one on top of the other slathered in mortar.
 Bangers and Cash - Zero
Bromp, look at this

car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=10901

I mean, just look at it. It looks faster standing still than the Pug brick at full pelt.

The Mk1 capri, with its tarty make up on, is possibly the sexiest looking car made. Its capabilities mattered not.
>> The Mk1 capri, with its tarty make up on, is possibly the sexiest looking car
>> made. Its capabilities mattered not.

Nice enough looking motor even if needing sheep in wolf's clothing make up.

The Pug was a quite a pretty looking thing though and a damn site more comfortable than the Mini that came before it. Or for that matter the Capri.

Also a bit of a Q Car in it's way. If Capri man saw it alongside at lights it was near identical to the 954cc shopping trolley version. Only clue was the ZS badge as opposed to Z or ZAon the lesser versions.

I never needed a car to pull.....
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Wed 10 Jul 19 at 17:09
 Bangers and Cash - sooty123
The Pug was a quite a pretty looking thing though

Well they do say beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;-)
 Bangers and Cash - Kevin
>The Mk1 capri, with its tarty make up on, is possibly the sexiest looking car made.

You want a concours example? And it's green so it'll match the 5-series.

www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/ford-capri-rs3100

Auction in October.
 Bangers and Cash - Netsur
>> >The Mk1 capri, with its tarty make up on, is possibly the sexiest looking car
>> made.
>>
>> You want a concours example? And it's green so it'll match the 5-series.
>>
>> www.classiccarauctions.co.uk/ford-capri-rs3100
>>
>> Auction in October.
>>

Lots of fake RS3100 around.the last series of Car SOS had a dodgy example. But if this is genuine it's worth good money despite the eye searing colour.
 Bangers and Cash - Zero

>> Lots of fake RS3100 around.the last series of Car SOS had a dodgy example. But
>> if this is genuine it's worth good money despite the eye searing colour.

Back in the day, it was very easy to make a RS3100, using a second hand base 3000e, and in all respects it was dynamically the same as a RS3100.
 Bangers and Cash - Zero
Its been previously on sale for £72k, I see the auction estimate is for less than that. Be interesting to see what it goes for.
 Bangers and Cash - Bobby
I learnt to drive in a Samba and passed my test in it.
GSU159X
It was the 1 litre I think, very basic, so basic it rarely started.

Was a manual choke and I remember going out with the examiner and it wouldn't start! It did eventually. I think there were standard choke conversion kits for it as it was so bad.

A slight tangent - my sister also had a Samba until she sold it = a yellow one. She lived in Edinburgh and sold it. A couple of years later she moved to Porthcawl in Wales and her yellow Samba was in the neighbour's driveway!
 Bangers and Cash - Boxsterboy
>> It was a ZS. The so called 'short cut' version on which the Talbot Samba
>> was based. it was only about a foot longer than a Mini, though it was
>> built of solid stuff so was heavier. There's a link to a picture of it
>> somewhere in here.
>>
>> The 1124cc engine with twin choke carb produced (IIRC) 66bhp. It was an early warm
>> hatch, alongside it Renault compatriot the 5TS. It was pretty nippy and could fly through
>> bends like it was on rails.
>>

My uncle had a red 104ZS, and my brother later had a lime green 104ZL (complete with 'Captial Radio 194' tinted sun-band like yours!)

As you say, the 104ZS was an early warm hatch, and highly regarded by the likes of Motor magazine at the time.
 Bangers and Cash - No FM2R
For your interest....

The 0-60 for the Capri was 20 seconds and for the Peugeot 14 seconds.

www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1978/927140/ford_capri_1_3_l.html
www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1976/2566490/peugeot_104_zs.html
 Bangers and Cash - James T
I've really enjoyed watching this. Thanks for the recommendation.
 Bangers and Cash - Duncan
Nice to hear from you James
Latest Forum Posts