Motoring Discussion > KIA Sportage - Brakes Bleed or Not? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Fullchat Replies: 3

KIA Sportage - Brakes Bleed or Not? - Fullchat
The Sportage went in for its 2 year service today at a few miles under 20K.

When I booked the service they quoted somewhere in the region of £320 but when I quoted an online booking price of £220 it was matched. Thats 'all in'.

The recommended service schedule in the handbook shows that the oil and brake/clutch fluid should be changed.

The pro-forma service sheet shows the fluid moisture content has been checked and a reading entered.

The invoice indeed states that the fluid was changed with the appropriate amount charged for the DOT 4 fluid.

My concern is that having examined underneath the vehicle there is no sign of spanner marks or brake fluid around any of the bleed nipples. The bleed nipples have not been touched.

My understanding also from practical experience is that fluid is changed by purge bleeding the lines through the bleed nipples. I am also aware that with modern ABS systems the vehicle has to be plugged in to the dealer computer to facilitate the process.

The service sheet consists of a load of checks which are all ticked off. The tyre depths were checked with the appropriate values.

So did they actual change the fluid or not. Why do a moisture check if the fluid is being changed? Have I paid for a very expensive oil change and tyre depth check?

Is there some new fangled way of changing the fluid without bleeding?
 KIA Sportage - Brakes Bleed or Not? - sherlock47
Pprovided the brake feel is good, and the moisture content is ok, probably the best reason for paying for the change, (with documentary evidence) , is to avoid giving the manufacturer any wriggle room on a warranty claim for very expensive ABS brake parts.

I remember a very similar conversation with Citroen at the 2 year service point. probably more important for you with a 7 year warranty?

Not sure how fluid in the cylinders and pipework can be changed without actually bleeding and full dismantling, and anyway does just bleeding change the last vestige of contaminated fluid at a wheel cylinder. With older cars IIRC the nipple is at the highest point on the cylinder to allow effective venting of air, so how it changes 'all the fluid' is a bit of a mystery. The most likely corrosion, degradation and moisture entry is probably on the rear cylinders anyway.

I suspect that KIA have to fund the warranty costs somehow, and have decided to shaft the customers in years 4-7? They seem to have a pretty robust policy of charging for diagnostic work to determine if it is a warranty issue.

KIA Sportage - Brakes Bleed or Not? - Zero
Changing fluid can only be done at bleed valves or by disconnecting wheel hoses, did you check those?

I do however wonder at the need to change brake fluid after two years and 20k miles, that seems immensely early in modern cars and is not needed by any stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by: Zero on Fri 19 Jul 19 at 09:05
 KIA Sportage - Brakes Bleed or Not? - Fullchat
Yes I have pictures of all the bleed valves on the calipers (discs all round). They are bone dry with light corrosion and dirt indicating no tool has been on them. No indication on the hoses either. To be fair Ive never bled through the hoses as this does not purge the fluid out of the cylinder/caliper.

www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/66-sportage-2016/50681-brakes-bled-not.html
Latest Forum Posts