Motoring Discussion > Volvo - Over 500,000 cars recalled worldwide - fire risk Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 3

Volvo - Over 500,000 cars recalled worldwide - fire risk - VxFan
Volvo is recalling 507,000 cars worldwide after an investigation discovered a fault engine component which could cause the vehicles to catch fire.

news.sky.com/story/volvo-recalling-500-000-cars-worldwide-over-faulty-engine-component-amid-fire-risk-fears-11768156
 Volvo - Over 500,000 cars recalled worldwide - fire risk - Bill Payer
The 4 cyl diesel engine that this applies to seems a bit of a nightmare for Volvo (and some Volvo owners). The EGR system causing everything on the intake side to get bunged up had led to massive bills and some owners having new engines.
 Volvo - Over 500,000 cars recalled worldwide - fire risk - Shiny
I wonder how this would cause a fire. One would think it would just cause a blockage or ingress of unfiltered air. I guess that's what happens when the car;s parts are all sourced from bang good and aliexpress.
 Volvo - Over 500,000 cars recalled worldwide - fire risk - VxFan
>> I wonder how this would cause a fire.

It sounds similar to a Ford Sierra I once saw catch fire. Pulled up next to it in the car park of the services off the M6, and initially thought it was just overheating, but then realised it was smoke, not steam coming from under the bonnet. As I moved my car away from it, a fire crew turned up and quickly put out the fire. One of the fire crew said he'd seen it before with certain cars. The plastic engine air intake laid over the top of the engine, coming from the air filter to take air in from the front of the car through the rad grill. Due to heat soak, the plastic could deform and subsequently come in contact with the hot rocker cover. The plastic becomes hotter and hotter, to the point of combustion.

Latest Forum Posts