Motoring Discussion > Death of diesel premature? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 12

Death of diesel premature? - Rudedog
In the UK we seem to be constantly told about how diesel is the spawn of the devil and that no right minded person should buy a new one..

And yet..

Just seen the new 2020 Audi S4 (so just below the RS4) and guess what it a 3.0 V6 TDi bi-turbo, not only that but I'm sure I've seen 2019 Q3 (or 5's) with 5.0 TDi's, so I guess Germany is still pushing diesel.

I'm at the point of getting my next new car and I really want a Golf GTi but I love driving a diesel so could go for a GTD but here in the UK I just feel under pressure to go to petrol.

Saying that I saw the VW ID3 at Goodwood and I definitely liked the look of that! If VW get their act together with that car they could be onto a winner.
 Death of diesel premature? - Robin O'Reliant
If towns and cities either ban or severely restrict diesels with punitive charges, or the government massively hikes VED and fuel duty then second hand values will sink like a stone, leaving first generation owners with virtually unsellable motors.

With the increasing concern over climate change both of those are more likely than not.
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Fri 26 Jul 19 at 16:24
 Death of diesel premature? - No FM2R
What Ro'R said.
 Death of diesel premature? - Bromptonaut
>> What Ro'R said.

I'd agree but qualify.

Concern over the Climate Emergency affects anything burning fossil fuel. The diesel issue is NOx and particulates in urban areas.

Mrs B and I periodically contemplate a larger caravan which will mean a different tow car. I suspect only diesel has the grunt we want but fear the outcome of a 'bottom falls out' secondhand market though in practice whatever we buy is likely to be run into ground.
 Death of diesel premature? - Zero

>> I suspect only diesel has the grunt we want

Pfft The 6cll petrol Beemer has the HP and the torques to haul your car and its van. At speed.
 Death of diesel premature? - Bromptonaut
>> Pfft The 6cll petrol Beemer has the HP and the torques to haul your car
>> and its van. At speed.

But at what mpg?
>> >> Pfft The 6cll petrol Beemer has the HP and the torques to haul your
>> car
>> >> and its van. At speed.
>>
>> But at what mpg?

What speed do you want to be towed? Sub three figures? If above it might well be single digit MPG.
>> What Ro'R said.

Which is why I went for a Petrol BMW. The ideal however would have been Volvos Petrol/Hybrid set up. They will hold value.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 26 Jul 19 at 20:32

>> Saying that I saw the VW ID3 at Goodwood and I definitely liked the look
>> of that! If VW get their act together with that car they could be onto
>> a winner.

If the ID buzz ever hits the streets like the concept, and with 300mile range I'll be in line for that as my first EV.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/e-mobility/en/id-family/id-buzz.html
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 26 Jul 19 at 20:28
 Death of diesel premature? - sooty123
We bought a diesel car, my first, about 3 months ago. Never thought much about the fuel tbh. Good price and a car we wanted. I don't think trying to second guess fashions and government policy is a great idea.
 Death of diesel premature? - bathtub tom
>>We bought a diesel car, my first, about 3 months ago.

I sold my last (ever) diseasal car fifteen years ago after the mechanical pump decided to 'lunch' itself. Cost me over a £1K in diagnostics, recovery, new pump and (what really pe'ed me off) was getting it coded to the ECU.
 Death of diesel premature? - Rudedog
Yep saw that at the show as well, bit of a play on their long awaited update to the Camper which never really came..

The ID 3 was in camouflage but looks like a 'normal' car even though an EV, sort of Golf shaped and reading the background VW have thrown billions into their EV cars even though VAG are still developing their diesel range, seems they are now teaming up with Shell to use a special diesel that is super-clean, and that's my point, even if diesels now become cleaner (they produce low CO2 which seems to have been forgotten about) they have been vilified so nobody in the UK would think about buying a new one.
 Death of diesel premature? - legacylad
A certain German marque no longer make a diesel car. Their first all electric car, the Taycan, will be on display at the Stuttgart show in September.
I had a Mk1 Golf Gti. 1.6 with 105 horses. Decades ago. I wouldn’t hesitate to get a new one, especially if it has a Performance Pack, although I’m not up to date with current specs
Petrol. It’s the future.
Latest Forum Posts