Motoring Discussion > F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 35 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 28

F1 and general motorsport discussion - Vol 35 - VxFan

As the title suggests, a place to discuss Formula One, and all other types of motorsport (excluding MotoGP, which has a section of its own).

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 10:55
 German GP - bathtub tom
I listened to the start on the radio to see if it would be a wet one. What a cracker!

I'll watch the highlights of that one, for the first time in a couple of years.
 German GP - Bobby
Agreed.
Now have Sky via my dodgy firestick so got to watch it live. Not the usual Hamilton Scalextric procession that’s for sure!
 German GP - Duncan
>> Agreed.
>> Now have Sky

How did you do that? I have been looking at something like that.

pm if you prefer.
 German GP - helicopter
Duncan, I recommend that you look at an app called Mobdro to put onto your firestick.Much better than Kodi IMO.I have tried both.

To do that you first need to alter the firestick settings to allow 'unknown ' apps and download another app called 'downloader '.I suggest you Google the method. I must point out that there is some contention over the legality of this .
 German GP - smokie
Mobdro (and Kodi for that matter) also work on Android phones. I've occasionally watched the likes of GP on Mobdro or Firestick but the quality usually isn't much good. And sometimes it's been unable to find a feed (which I assume means the feeds they have are overloaded).
Last edited by: smokie on Mon 29 Jul 19 at 08:23
 German GP - bathtub tom
I see Hamilton is now ninth, although he's also placed eleventh on other results. I can't find any reason for this. any clues , anyone?
 German GP - tyrednemotional
www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alfa-romeo-penalised-post-race-williams-score-first-2019-point.4z9k1dIrDmAsJAs8KtJaUx.html
 German GP - Duncan
Wasn't he penalised for something, which may have affected his time, and therefore his place?

Sorry, I was busy riding in the Tour de France, so saw very little of F1!
 German GP - helicopter
I love watching sport and have found Mobdro to be very good on the whole , you do get the occasional buffering or the sound out of sync with the picture but I watched the GP yesterday via Sky Main Event rather than F1 channel with only two freeze ups which both cleared in 10 seconds or so .

I watched the Canadian GP via a Canadian sports channel on Mobdro( cannot recall the name offhand) when Sky F1 would not load. You can usually find a stream somewhere online.

Smartcric app on my phone and tablet is handy for the England cricket games when other methods are not available.
 German GP - smokie
Ah! I never look further than Sky F1. Good plan to find it elsewhere. Though I must admit I watch nearly all telly on catch-up, even if only timeshifted by a little bit- I would need to adjust to watching stuff live, and setting aside a specific slot to watch it in!!
 German GP - helicopter
The Canadian Channel TSN on Modbro was what I used to watch the German GP when Sky F1 froze.

Sky F1 got itself into a loop today when SWMBO was watching practice on one TV and I was watching cricket on the other .

I checked and TSN are covering the Hungarian GP if you want to watch it .

Also available on Sky Germany if you don't mind the German commentary
Last edited by: helicopter on Sat 3 Aug 19 at 13:30
 German GP - Bobby
I have taken a subscription (£50pa) to an IPTV provider.

Had previously tried Modbro etc but was never fully happen with quality and interface and reliability.

My cousin recommended this particular one, I only took it last week so wouldn't be wanting to recommend to anyone yet until I am fully happy with it and tried it for a few weeks.

watched Grand Prix and Liverpool game yesterday on it - ok its not HD / 4K quality but absolutely perfectly watchable (and I believe as I have one of the early firesticks that the quality on the newer ones is better)
 Siverstone classic TV coverage - bathtub tom
This is usually covered by ITV4, but I haven't been able to find it this year. Have I missed it, or does anyone know if it's scheduled?
 Siverstone classic TV coverage - No FM2R
I appreciate I'm a long way away and might be quite wrong, but wasn't it last weekend?
Found this for you...

"A special one-hour programme will be aired on ITV4 at the peak viewing time of nine o’clock (21.00hrs) on the evening of Thursday 11 August, with repeats broadcast at 10am on the morning of Sunday 14 August and, again at five o’clock (17.00hrs) on the afternoon of the following Tuesday 16 August."

www.autoaddicts.co.uk/silverstone-classic-on-the-tv/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 3 Aug 19 at 14:51
Thanks for that, how on earth did you find it?
I wish I could tell you how clever I was, but in reality I just put "Silverstone Classic on TV" into Google.
>> "A special one-hour programme will be aired on ITV4 at the peak viewing time of
>> nine o’clock (21.00hrs) on the evening of Thursday 11 August, with repeats broadcast at 10am
>> on the morning of Sunday 14 August and, again at five o’clock (17.00hrs) on the
>> afternoon of the following Tuesday 16 August."

Don't know if that's an old article, but 11 Aug is a Sunday, the 14 Aug a Wednesday and 16 Aug a Friday this year.

However I did find: ITV4 will broadcast highlights immediately after live coverage of the BTCC from Thruxton on 18 August.
 Siverstone classic TV coverage - tyrednemotional
....that date (18/8) supported by other links.

If you don't want to wait, however, simply search for "Silverstone Classic 2019" on Youtube, where there is a lot of good quality footage.
You're quite right. The last time the 16th was a Tuesday was three years ago or so.

Even going back I cannot see anything to say that it was an old link. Sorry about that. I told you I wasn't being clever.

Glad you found the right date in the end.
>>
>> Even going back I cannot see anything to say that it was an old link.
>> Sorry about that. I told you I wasn't being clever.
>>

...the sentence towards the bottom of the page "For viewers loving what they see, the provisional date for next summer’s Silverstone Classic is 21-23 July 2017 with tickets going on sale in November" is quite a good clue, though.

;-)
How irritating. Annoying to mislead when one is trying to help.
...TBH, Mark, with the sidebar holding references to October 2019, it wasn't the most difficult mistake to make.....
 Hungary - helicopter
Won't spoil the result for those waiting C4 watchers but certainly a race worth watching .

Hungary - Robin O'Reliant
I won't either, but unless you live in a cave it is impossible to avoid coming across it.
 Hungary - martin aston
But turn the sound up to hear the result because the director cut to shots of the crowd and the bloke with the flag just as the winner crossed the line so you don't see it.

My other niggle is the frequent switching between wide shots of overtakes and incar cockpit coverage. Again you often don't get to see the overtake properly. I'd prefer they majored on the external shot for the live overtake coverage. They could use the incar shots in the replay if it occasionally adds anything

Despite that the camera work these days is generally brilliant
 Hungary - VxFan
Very unfortunate for Max yesterday. He deserved to win. Again, down to strategy rather than racing determined the winner.

Complete turn around by Honda though. I thought Red Bull had made a daft decision to use their engines this year, considering their unreliability in the McLaren since returning to F1. Appears not!
 Drivers - an update - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/49317809

Thai Albon, 23, has been promoted from the team's sister outfit Toro Rosso, with Gasly going the other way.
Latest Forum Posts