Motoring Discussion > EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Shiny Replies: 17

EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Shiny
I usually buy Polygard Arctic screenwash from boyes.
It was £4 for 5litres and protected to -20c when used neat.
I went to purchase some at the weekend and noticed it now said -10c which was the protection it used to have at a 1:1 ratio - the price had gone down to £3 though. The shelf edge still stated -20c so I called up corporate head office who informed me that the previous formula had been recalled by the manufacturer as it contained a substance banned by the EU, namely methanol. Googling confirms this. This is presumably why ready mixed is taking over and you can't get the decent stuff from LIDL anymore. Apparently because 24 people deliberately drank screenwash in the Eastern Europe, and 1 in Finland, it is now banned for everyone.

Well I can tell you Brexit can't come soon enough.

ec.europa.eu/growth/content/new-restriction-methanol-car-windscreen-washing-fluids_en
echa.europa.eu/documents/10162/2b3f6422-ab4d-4b85-9642-ebe225070858
Last edited by: Shiny on Wed 7 Aug 19 at 22:50
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - tyrednemotional
..you know, I think you're right.

I can think of no better reason for leaving the EU than not being able to buy screenwash that works down to -20C.......
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - No FM2R
And, of course, all the screenwash manufacturers will make a special more toxic screenwash for use just in the UK and have a second and duplicate production line for the screenwash they will supply to the EU..

And they, of course, will not be at all worried when some UK parent with a dead child sues them for selling something that they *knew* and had *proof* was being inappropriately used.

When you think about it we'd should be able to veto any laws that the EU tries to pass that we don't like.

Oh, wait.............
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Kevin
The last bottle of screenwash I bought was a lovely green colour and smelled like apple juice. Didn't taste like apple juice though.
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Lygonos
Methanol is fkn toxic.

Isopropanol less so, and ethanol even less so.

If you need -75ºC screenwash it's still available.

www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/concentrate-screenwash/?542771210&0&cc5_701
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Duncan
>> If you need -75ºC screenwash it's still available.
>>
>> www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/antifreeze-and-screenwash/concentrate-screenwash/?542771210&0&cc5_701

Strange. It flashes on the screen and then off again?
>>
>> Strange. It flashes on the screen and then off again?
>>

....only after you've drunk some........
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Haywain
But ethanol kills far more "In 2017, a total of 7,697 people died from alcohol-specific causes in the UK". Full details tinyurl.com/y3eve9zx

I can't see the EU banning fermented grape/barley juice anytime soon, even though it kills far more than methanol - hypocrites.
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Bromptonaut
>> I can't see the EU banning fermented grape/barley juice anytime soon, even though it kills
>> far more than methanol - hypocrites.

Methanol is harmful even if drunk in moderation.......
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Zero

>> This is presumably why ready mixed is taking over and you can't get the decent
>> stuff from LIDL anymore. Apparently because 24 people deliberately drank screenwash in the Eastern Europe,

They will just have to go back to meths like all those good old Brits kill themselves with*. Not sure that famous old British chain Lidl stock that either tho.

*Didnt we (the Brits that is) ban alcohol based hand gel because our good old british alchi started using that?
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Bromptonaut
>> Apparently because 24 people deliberately drank screenwash in the Eastern Europe,
>> and 1 in Finland, it is now banned for everyone.
>>
>> Well I can tell you Brexit can't come soon enough.

It's about 24 a year in Finland with reports from other countries as well. Probably happens here too but but we don't know the numbers as we've decided that keeping stats on those dead or blinded is too much 'red tape'. More likely however in countries where there is a routine need to protect down to -20.

Report also states it's not just alcoholics but kids binge drinking the stuff.

Plenty of other, safer, options wash screens perfectly well.

Is it part of the Brexit plan to allow dangerous stuff and hazardous practices long banned in our European neighbours to be de-restricted here?

Don't remember Boris mentioning that during the referendum campaign.......
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Manatee
Have just examined my stock of 'Prestone' concentrated screenwash from Costco. Good to -23C. But does contain methanol.
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Zero
>> Have just examined my stock of 'Prestone' concentrated screenwash from Costco. Good to -23C. But
>> does contain methanol.

Yes I have that stuff, good old yanks, they dont care about destroying the earth and killing people. Sooner we turn our back on the EU and get into cahoots with them the better.
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Shiny
That Prestone stuff is now reformulated to -18?C
>> That Prestone stuff is now reformulated to -18?C
>>
>>

...that two degrees difference (from -20) is critical for the average British winter; As I've said above, there is no better reason for leaving.
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Duncan
>> good old yanks, they dont care about destroying the earth
>> and killing people. Sooner we turn our back on the EU and get into cahoots
>> with them the better.

Abso-jolly-lutely.

Agree with you 100%.

What could possibly go wrong?
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - VxFan
>> Apparently because 24 people deliberately drank screenwash in the Eastern Europe

Much prefer antifreeze as it's got a sweeter taste, and also protects down to -33°C. Very handy for those cold winter mornings ;)
 EU Bans Decent Winter Screenwash - Lygonos
And after you're hospitalised, those lovely docs may well treat your Glycol poisoning with ethanol :-)

(Unlesd you're a cat in which case you're gubbed)
Latest Forum Posts