Motoring Discussion > B58 engine tear down Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 7

B58 engine tear down - Zero
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckxlP60cnY

Ok its in the Supra, but its the BMW engine a few of us have
 B58 engine tear down - sherlock47
Great whilst it under warranty - but what would be the cost of a snapped timing chain?

Just hope that BMW have learnt lessons from previous problems.

Fascinating viewing.
 B58 engine tear down - Lygonos
I know a BMW tech.

He says he'd take any 6cyl engine but wouldn't touch a 4cyl from the disasters he comes across.
 B58 engine tear down - legacylad
Yay. As ewe all know I had a 2004 330 convertible bought third hand for sub £10k. Simply fabulous engine. No point going silly fast in it because of the wind noise. Only 225 bhp Without a Turbo I think, but accelerated like a scalded cat when I was in the mood. Even at 12 yo it had no squeaks or rattles, sounded amazing near the red line, and if I could ever justify a soft top as a second car I’d have another of that era in a heart beat.
Only next time with heated leather seats.
 B58 engine tear down - PeterS
Interesting. Though, it does go to show that engines are really very easy to work on if (a) they’re brand new and nothing’s seized, (b) they’re not surrounded by car and (c) you’ve got all (well, bar the one as far as I could see) the tools and a huge workshop!!
 B58 engine tear down - bathtub tom
>> Interesting. Though, it does go to show that engines are really very easy to work
>> on

As long as no gorilla has been there before and rounded off the heads of all the fixings, as I'm sure we've all found.

There's something I recall about a Ford engine that couldn't be re-conditioned, because the studs/bolts from the bottom end went all the way to the top and removing them would allow the block to distort.
 B58 engine tear down - DP
Nice find, Z. Such a clever engine.

That variable ratio rocker setup on the inlet cam is the Valvetronic system, and one of the really cool things it can do is reduce lift on the inlet valves to throttle the engine under many conditions, leaving the conventional throttle plate in the inlet wide open. It improves efficiency through keeping the inlet tract unobstructed, and throttle response, because when you suddenly open the throttle, the inlet manifold is already charged with air. Increase valve lift, inject the extra fuel, and away you go.

Last edited by: DP on Sat 17 Aug 19 at 19:46
 B58 engine tear down - Bobby
One of my regrets is I know nothing about anything under the bonnet. For someone who has had a lifelong obsession with cars I regret not getting into them mechanically.

I don't have any "trade" as such and I love watching a skilled tradesperson - whether it be a mechanic, a joiner, plumber whatever.

This engine - how the hell do they know where to put everything back or is that why they video it??
Latest Forum Posts