Motoring Discussion > Don't Drive Tired Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bromptonaut Replies: 73

Don't Drive Tired - Bromptonaut
Got to empty the Skoda tomorrow so it can be picked up by LV's repairer on Monday.

Own fault damage due disregarding all good advice about not driving knackered and taking a break when you do.

August BH week Mrs B was in Italy at a Education Research Conference. Dropped her at Luton airport on Sunday with a list of stuff to do during week.

BH Monday was appallingly hot and night no better. Heat bad enough to make sleep difficult and I seemed to have endlessly itchy skin on top of that - sat up half night reading and faffing about on here. Had to go in late for work on Tuesday 'cos shattered.

Tuesday night no better but was booked Wednesday to travel to Deeside to help daughter with house move. That all worked OK but Thursday night was another itchy sweat box read all night experience.

Had to go to LUT to pick up Mrs B on Friday. Well aware on M1 round MK that I was at limit of safe driving due risk of nodding off.

Contemplated stopping at Toddington for an Espresso and a walk/wee but 'press on itis' got me and as it's only a few more minutes to Luton I carried on.

Shouldn't have. Five minutes later, running at 60ish in lane one/running hard shoulder I 'lost attention' for a second and was dragged back to alert by noises as I clipped the Armco. Not daft enough to stop on M/way - car was clearly running fine. Adrenalin solved the dopiness issue!!

Survey of damage when parked at LUT shows dents and scrapes to front wing, both doors and rear quarter. Both N/S alloys chipped too.

Given it's a 11 plate with 100k on clock was bit concerned it might be written off as repair cost greater than value but subject an alignment check looks as if it's going to be OK.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sat 28 Sep 19 at 21:26
 Don't Drive Tired - Robin O'Reliant
I've drifted off for a second or two on a motorway myself, fortunately without incident but damn frightening. Now I have a "Two hours then a service station" rule. Even a walk to the bog is enough to keep me alert, and a cuppa helps too.
>> Now I have a "Two hours then a service station" rule.

Two hours or so is my normal limit though I'll go to three if it's easy driving and splits journey better.

The final act that lined up the holes in the cheese was not stopping at Toddington when I knew I should but my place to Luton Airport is barely an hour.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 29 Sep 19 at 22:17
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
Any 60mph accident you walk away from unscathed is a good one.
>> Any 60mph accident you walk away from unscathed is a good one.

Yup. Lucky I just drifted off my line; no sleep related tic/tug at wheel or whatever

The realisation that, had angle of approach been different, I could have ricocheted of the armco into path of traffic is a frightener.
 Don't Drive Tired - slowdown avenue
was speaking once to an old lady ,in a care home. she said do you know what the last words my husband ever said to me.
when have you ever known me to fall asleep at the wheel
 Don't Drive Tired - zippy
If sleepy I head for services now. Set the alarm for 1 hour 45 minutes and snooze. If I wake up soo we all well and good.
 Don't Drive Tired - Netsur
The drowsiness alarm on my car has saved me a couple of times. If it beeps twice I come off at the next opportunity for a short walk, wee, coffee. Once I needed my heavily pregnant wife to take over on a long journey as i was simply too tired to carry on. Dont often sleep as a passenger but i did then.
 Don't Drive Tired - James T
I was driving along the M40 and noticed the driver behind me was nodding off. It's incredibly hard to attract their attention. I tried beeping and such like to no avail.

He was in lane 3. I moved over, let him pass, and did my best to protect him from traffic coming up behind, but like you, he only woke up when hitting the armco. Fortunately only some bent metal.
 Don't Drive Tired - PeterS
Sounds like a lucky (fortunate) escape from a potentially serious accident - glad you’re okay :) Can’t believe that the Skoda is 8 years old already though!!

Be interesting to see whether the driver safety aids that MB have had for a while would have prevented this...it’d certainly have identified you falling asleep, but I wonder whether the alert is sufficient to actually wake you?

I swapped the BMW for an MB last week, which comes with a whole raft of driver assistance aids, one of which actively keeps you in lane by controlling the steering, and one which will actually try and avert a collision by braking the wheels on the other side of the car... though, I wonder whether a gentle sideswipe with the Armco is preferable to just running into the back of someone ;)
 Don't Drive Tired - Runfer D'Hills
Have you really returned from the dark side Peter?

So pleased, I thought you were lost !

;-)
>> Have you really returned from the dark side Peter?
>>
>> So pleased, I thought you were lost !
>>
>> ;-)
>>

Yes - after 42 months of a quite outstanding BMW convertible (though one that did lead to 5 speeding tickets over that time, two of which were on one journey...) I’ve decided a more relaxed drive is probably better for my driving licence ;)
It's inevitable really, a bit like finding higher levels of Karma.
;-)
>> It's inevitable really, a bit like finding higher levels of Karma.
>> ;-)
>>

I have an open mind ;) Since 1999, a nice round 20 years, 7 have been spent with an Audi as our main car (4 a convertible), 6.5 with a BMW (3.5 a convertible) and 6.5 a MB (all estates bar one) so let’s see!
Do tell then, our breaths are all suitably bated !
 Don't Drive Tired - legacylad
Please please tell us it’s the C63 C Class Cabrio
>> Please please tell us it’s the C63 C Class Cabrio
>>

Haha chance would be a fine thing! I did consider it’s less powerful brother, the C43 cabrio, and indeed borrowed one from MB for 24 hours. A very nice car, which sounded great, but the 4WD somehow took away some of the fun. I preferred the drive of the C300 cabrio.

Though actually bought an E350 cabrio. Disappointingly only a 4 cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, not the 6 the nomenclature would lead you to believe. 300bhp though, so brisk enough. Factory ordered in the ‘not recommended’ combination of rubellite red with saddle brown leather, and further ‘not recommended’ dark red roof :)
Sounds delightful. Just the ticket for wafting down to check on one's French vineyard in the summer, or Swiss ski lodge in the winter what?
;-)
Fear not, it has folding rear seats so can still be used to carry stuff! And anyway, convertibles are great for Christmas trees, as long as it’s not raining ;)
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
]
>> Though actually bought an E350 cabrio. Disappointingly only a 4 cylinder turbocharged petrol engine, not
>> the 6 the nomenclature would lead you to believe.

Ah complete with fake exhausts.

combination of rubellite red with saddle brown leather, and further
>> ‘not recommended’ dark red roof :)

OMG thats an offence against good taste and decency. I suppose you'll be wearing yellow desert boots with that?
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 29 Sep 19 at 17:45
Fake exhausts and fake noise as well, when in anything above comfort! Mind you, the BMW had ‘enhanced’ noise played through the stereo as well :(

Colour wise, it’s a marmite one I’ll admit. And one that varies wildly depending on lighting, from an almost purple to dark brown or even black. Still, having thought I’d never see another the same colour one parked next to me on Friday, albeit not with the same roof or seats ;)

ibb.co/LSRWPx7
ibb.co/C6bHzJ0
ibb.co/jvZR7GK
ibb.co/1RMLRqW
ibb.co/NY8PXmQ
ibb.co/TTnX5TS
ibb.co/dPnnpQt
 Don't Drive Tired - tyrednemotional
...........you're not planning to feature in a Specsavers' advert, are you........?

;-)
It was a gamble, I admit... but, I like it :)
It also works with the gold/beige MINI on the drive, and is not silver/grey/black :p

The interior would, I think, be better in the truffle brown they offer on other markets, but MB UK restrict the choices available :( They recommend either black, or black and red leather. Which is just wrong. Or for £3,300 they’ll sell you white and back leather (plus air suspension). None of which would look better than saddle brown I don’t think. It’s (slightly) more subtle in real life ;)
>> It was a gamble, I admit... but, I like it :)
>> ...... It’s (slightly) more subtle in real life ;)
>>

....so am I....
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero

>> And one that varies wildly depending on
>> lighting, from an almost purple to dark brown or even black.

I passed a German registered new Audi A7 Sportback RS on the M3 t'other day. A spectacular looking car this was clearly some sort of special vehicle department output, slightly wider than the norm, slightly lower and dressed in paint that from a distance looked black, but on passing morphed into a jaw dropping very dark purple.
Audi do a merlin purple which I absolutely love. But it’s an ‘exclusive’ option at somewhere north of £4K, so not a coloured I’d ever pay for...

www.autogespot.co.uk/audi-rs6-avant-c7-in-the-colour-merlin-purple
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
Getting there, but about 50% darker than that
Well, I like it, a lot Peter.
Good choice in my humble.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sun 29 Sep 19 at 20:08
Thanks :) i thought it would, but there’s always a slight nervousness.... It appears that the estate isn’t available in rubellite red though, but you can have saddle brown leather ;)

www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/passengercars/content-pool/tool-pages/car-configurator.html/summary?Mcid=MZD8N98C

In hybrid spec the BIK should be low, though it does cost quite a bit more than the convertible !!
Great big lump of something electrical in the boot though. Completely negates the usefulness for me by taking up loadspace. I may have to get a pick up, an unfortunate haircut and a tattoo instead.
;-)
>> Well, I like it, a lot Peter.
>> Good choice in my humble.
>>

It’s tough setting trends, but they’ll catch up in the end Runfer ;)
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
That you are the Vivienne Westward of car couture I have no doubt.
 Don't Drive Tired - Bobby
I have often said to my missus that at some point in the future I would love to be in a position financially to get a Merc convertible and go a long, long drive across Europe.

So can I have this please, maybe in about 10 years time ??? :)
I’d worry whether the electronics either work, or even if they do are usable, in 10 years time...but with that caveat, and given the way the market is moving, I can’t imagine it’ll be worth a huge amount in 10 years. It was discounted by almost 27% from new...!

Mind you, for under £2,500 this’d probably do the trick now! And points to where mine will be in 2033!

rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323923402828
 Don't Drive Tired - Bobby
Interesting its a Cat N with no warning lights.

I was browsing ebay the other day and, can't remember how, but I got directed to a product that replaces an airbag and doesnt give any warning lights - it was only a couple of quid and basically would allow you to not have an airbag and the driver / owner would never know.

Very worrying!!
 Don't Drive Tired - legacylad
I wasn’t aware there was an E class cabrio. Spending lots of time in Espana I see lots of C class cabrios. Mostly white with red roof which I think looks A1.
That combo PeterS looks ok to me. I had a purple Marina TC Coupe with red vinyl back in the day so who am I to criticise.
I like convertibles. My first was a Spitfire, them an Ivory Morgan 4/4 ( owned for 72 hours as a buy to sell deal). A Frogeye Sprite, a Mk 1 Elise then 20 years later my ‘04 330. My experience is that owning a convertible isn’t about performance. It’s about driving through nice scenery, roof down, hearing bird song, lambs bleating etc. You don’t need a Cobra V8. Although it’s very agreeable on occasion, a small petrol lump in a C class cabrio would be most acceptable 95% of the time.
So sorry to hear about your accident Bromp, glad it was only the car that suffered. I must be a bit OCD when I'm driving as despite my well documented history, I can honestly say I've never caught myself drifting off while actually driving. Conversely, if I sit in front of a TV, or on an aeroplane I'll fall fast asleep in minutes !
Many years ago now, one of my brothers fell asleep on the M4 (in a then new Laguna) and drove straight off the side of it. Lucky not to hit anything, particularly anything hard like a bridge, and was fortunately absolutely fine, albeit he was blue lighted (is that a word?) to hospital from the scene. The car not so much so...!
 Don't Drive Tired - zippy
A colleagues wife and baby were caught up in this:

www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1032925/Horror-moment-German-truck-driver-ploughs-M25-traffic-queue.html

Both survived but were in hospital for several months. Not much was left of the BMW 5 series saloon and both were found crushed under the dash with the car seat protecting the baby.

On the way to work a couple of years back I was held up by the Police attending an accident. A driver had driven in to the back of a stationary refuse truck pinning the worker between the car an the truck. Apparently the car driver had nodded off.

The doctor's helicopter landed in a field right next to my car. Luckily the bin lifting mechanism saved the worker from any serious injury.
 Don't Drive Tired - R.P.
I rode tired back in 2012 - effectively 12 hours in the saddle on the National Motorcycle Rally. I was on my chinstrap when I got back to a friend's house and couldn't face the next 45 miles and stayed there. I don't think I came close to crashing or anything, but found myself riding in fifth gear for miles - forgot to change up. Risky business, don't think I'd do it again
I wonder if cruise control played a part...it’s a great driver aid, but if you nod off you’re going to keep going at 70 (or whatever) miles an hour until you hits something; without at least there’s a chance you’ll just slow down!
No cruise in the Roomster (or the Berlingo). Was included in trim/option packs for either but not what I bought. Could have taken it as an option on the Citroen but thought 'meh' 'cos it came with other stuff I didn't even want never mind need.

The Roomie was bought s/h in 2015 - a distress purchase after the 05 'lingo suffered from a steering fault the diagnosis of which foxed various techs. Could be this/could be that with a game of parts roulette at my expense until it was cured.
Just remembered that falling asleep was the reason my partner ended up embedding a car in a stone wall...

ibb.co/KbrswRt

The car definitely came off worse, but he was in hospital for a couple of weeks afterwards, and had some fairly heavy duty surgery on one leg (which had been broken before, hence complications...). So definitely don’t drive when tired!
 Don't Drive Tired - Boxsterboy
We had a v similar accident on French autoroute a few years ago. I nodded off and drifted onto the Armco in our Citroen C8. There was a slight bend in the road and so the armco had green plastic posts on top, as is the French way. These are at door mirror height on a C8 and so the first I knew was the door mirror hitting these. The body panels scrapped the armco slightly. The insurance company wanted to write if off but we didn’t and so repaired it ourselves without claiming.

And on the Mercedes convertible colour combination front, my wife’s CLK cabriolet is light metallic blue with red leather seats (‘not advised’ according to the brochure) but I think it looks good, as does your E cabrio, Peter. After all, what do the Germans know about style? :-)
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
I am amazed that any maker would offer combinations that are not recommended, or even speculate on taste.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 29 Sep 19 at 22:04
Me too, but then as pointed out above, the Germans are hardly arbiters of good taste ;)
I’ve tweeted them to say that I think they’re badly wrong in their brochure recommendations!

ibb.co/4YdRtsf
ibb.co/tb5DhZr

Other markets get far wider choice of interiors, and particularly trims and trim levels than MB UK offer. You can only get one in ‘AMG Line’ in the UK, and then only with dark grey wood trim. At least the coupe and convertible offer a couple of extra actual colours - emerald green and rubellite red - over the usual options. A C Class in selenite grey with cranberry leather and red roof is a nice looking car, but that colour schemes not available on the E class.
 Don't Drive Tired - Kevin
Don't MB offer 'any colour and trim you want' under their Designo scheme?
Bringing this back on track (I know, I know, I’ve been here long enough to know better really...) hopefully LV picked it up okay today, and it’ll be back with you again soon!
Picked up around 11:00. Guy who came out earlier to take pictures etc and a colleague. Think, assuming alignment checks show no problem with damage to 'undercarriage' they'll start work later in week and keep me posted.

Got to rouse Mrs B at sparrow fa*t tomorrow to take me to work. Don't think weather's going to be amenable to doing it on a bike.
Hopefully it turned out to be fixable? These car repair places are pretty quick nowadays, so hopefully you’ll have it back soon!

Tbough it has made me ponder why Skoda replaced the Yeti, which was a distinctive, practical car with the Karoq (sp ?) which looks like every other soft roader :(
>> Hopefully it turned out to be fixable? These car repair places are pretty quick nowadays,
>> so hopefully you’ll have it back soon!

It was collected on Monday and I've not heard anything since. Would have expected it to take a week but nor much more. Will chase tomorrow.

This time last year we contemplated a replacement caravan which would have needed a tow car to match but postponed decision. I liked the Yeti then and was less enamoured of the Karoq but once 'van is over 1500kg you're in another league.
>> It was collected on Monday and I've not heard anything since. Would have expected it
>> to take a week but nor much more. Will chase tomorrow.

Hmmm,

Chased today and apparently alignment check disclosed suspension damage. Now waiting for updated repair authorisation from LV. Collected from me last Monday but revised numbers not sent to LV until Thursday.

Complaint that they'd not kept me informed was met with a rather defensive 'we told you we needed to check suspension'. Suggestion I could have been using it (and saving Mrs B from being taxi for me) was met with inference that I'd be a fool to drive a car with suspension fault.

Picking up a hire car, at my expense of course, tomorrow.

My sympathy. A two minute call to keep you updated costs nothing but gives you that warm feeling that you are being looked after.

As far as driving with suspension damage, they are right. Potentially dangerous and illegal.
>> As far as driving with suspension damage, they are right. Potentially dangerous and illegal.

Depends on level/type of damage. All I was told was they'd carried out an alignment check and found a fault. Clearly, if something is badly bent I'd be daft to drive it. OTOH if they've found minor issue (possibly pre-existing) situation is different.

Need to chase again today as still no update.
Buggrit, they say it needs a new steering rack and is beyond economical repair.

Offer of £3000 looks low compared other 1.6D Roomsters from 2010-12 (mine's 2011) but I guess they've left some flexibility.

Got hire car for week now. Hyundai i20. Does the job but no outstanding features; if it was a sandwich it'd be processed cheese on white!!
 Don't Drive Tired - Manatee

>> Got hire car for week now. Hyundai i20. Does the job but no outstanding features;
>> if it was a sandwich it'd be processed cheese on white!!

Had one of those when the boss last pranged her Roomster. Uninspiring with thin, uncomfortable seats.
 Don't Drive Tired - No FM2R
Well at least you now know that driving with a buggrd steering rack would indeed have been a bad idea.

You might want to ask how much the repairer would charge to fix it as a non-insurance job, ask the insurer how much for you to keep the salvage and perhaps speak to a local independent.

You don't care about it being a Cat C or whatever, because IIRC you're going to keep it until it dies anyway. You also know that a steering rack is not structural as such so provided it is replace all will be well. You'll also find the cost of body repairs drops when panel beating and filling is considered rather than just new panels. The insurer will probably insist on either an MOT or an Engineers report before they insure it again, but that's only £50.

You may find there is a deal to be done.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 8 Oct 19 at 16:13
>> Well at least you now know that driving with a buggrd steering rack would indeed
>> have been a bad idea.

I'm trying to find out how buggrd it really is. Clearly I massively scraped n/s bodywork and judging from witness marks on alloys the n/s front wheel glanced a kerbstone. It was metal/metal scraping noise not steering 'grab' that brought me to my senses. My guess is that if new rack is needed it's a design issue - track rod type component that's integral to rack rather than individually replaceable or something similar. That or prior damage.

Straw in wind but last set of tyres wore disproportionately on inner edges.

>> You might want to ask how much the repairer would charge to fix it as
>> a non-insurance job, ask the insurer how much for you to keep the salvage and
>> perhaps speak to a local independent.

Salvage is about £700 so I'd get £2300. Given I can afford to put money into deal I might just say bugggrit and look for something different.

Mrs B and I were only saying other day that if all my car did was my work run and odd trip to my sister's or shopping in MK I'd be fine with a Leaf or Zoe.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 8 Oct 19 at 18:42
 Don't Drive Tired - No FM2R
>>Salvage is about £700 so I'd get £2300. Given I can afford to put money into deal I might
>>just say bugggrit and look for something different.
>>
>>Mrs B and I were only saying other day that if all my car did was my work run and odd trip
>>to my sister's or shopping in MK I'd be fine with a Leaf or Zoe.

Far be it from me, but is the answer not possibly a cheap repair on your car probably giving you an additional £1000 or thereabouts to put towards a Leaf or Zoe?
>OTOH if they've found minor issue (possibly pre-existing) situation is different.

Even minor suspension/alignment issues can cause steering problems if you need to stamp on the stop pedal quickly. Just not worth taking a chance.

Driving a vehicle with a known defect might be a legal no-no as well that the repairer might not be happy with.
>> Even minor suspension/alignment issues can cause steering problems if you need to stamp on the
>> stop pedal quickly. Just not worth taking a chance.

Had that with Xantia. Hydro-pneumatic suspension was brilliant but gradual loss of gas and firmer ride wasn't immediately noticeable. Then one time on way up to see Mum some clot pulled out on me at speed on M1 - hit brake hard and car jiggled about err quite a bit.

Re-gas sorted asap.......

Right now I'm just trying to quantify issue with the Skoda.
 Don't Drive Tired - bathtub tom
SWMBO parked Ambassador and came out to find a dustcart had clonked a wheel. Thought nothing about it until I did an oil change a few months later and found the (1" dia solid bar) crossmember had a bow in it.

Flogged it it promptly.
Roomster gone and settlement, £3300 before excess, in the bank. They don't hang about with disposals, its up for auction at Copart Sandy on Monday:

www.copart.co.uk/lot/52708029

I got a copy of the tracking report and it was pretty well out. Imply an impact such that LV repair standards require steering rack replacement. Looking at pictures and driving past site of bump last week I still don't see how that accident could do so much damage to tracking but I do remember a very hard impact with pothole not that long after I got it. Last front tyres wore badly on inner edges.

No mention on Copart details of the steering damage and I'd not be surprised if it's back on road in a week or two.........

What to replace it with?

There'll be another thread for that.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Fri 18 Oct 19 at 17:29
Our very short lived Ibiza went to CoPart within a fortnight of it being written off, but it went through the actions many times before eventually being sold 2 months after the first one!
 Don't Drive Tired - VxFan
>> I got a copy of the tracking report and it was pretty well out.

Alignment problems didn't seem to worry this guy.

youtu.be/TO49QmS-Mns

Pity you're not in Russia. Arthur tussik would have had it back on the road for you for a couple of quid ;)

www.youtube.com/user/tussik01
 Roomie Back on Road - Bromptonaut
Well, well the Roomster has been taxed until November 2020 and is insured again so presumably back on road.

I'd be amazed if the steering rack has been changed.
Advice from South Yorkshire Police

tinyurl.com/y2juw3p6
Last edited by: Kevin on Tue 5 Nov 19 at 23:35
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
first the roomster, now the fabia, he's doing well this autumn.
...looks like his steering rack might have survived this time, though....
 Don't Drive Tired - Zero
Wonder what a Fab-ster cut n shut looks like?
....a Trabant.....?
 Roomie Back on Road - Bill Payer
>> Well, well the Roomster has been taxed until November 2020 and is insured again so
>> presumably back on road.
>>
We went through this with daughter's Golf, rear-ended by a Mercedes van. Looked easily repairable (basically a big dent in the hatch but the rear window and even the lights on the hatch were undamaged) but was quickly written off and LV had a cheque in the post and wanted hire car back within a couple of days - doesn't leave much time to sort things out, not something I'd thought about before.

Someone we knew wanted the car but both LV and the repairer were evasive to the extent that I thought someone had knabbed the car as it looked an easy fix. But it did turn up at Copart about a month later. Was quickly taxed again.
 Roomie Back on Road - Bromptonaut
>> Someone we knew wanted the car but both LV and the repairer were evasive to
>> the extent that I thought someone had knabbed the car as it looked an easy
>> fix. But it did turn up at Copart about a month later. Was quickly taxed
>> again.

Taxed and insured but not, or not yet, MoT'd even though MoT expires in 3 weeks. Makes me think it's been 'knabbed' as a quick fix for private use rather than being in trade where I'd expect it to be offered with a year's MoT or at least more than a few weeks.

Went through Copart but if I could trace it's progress through their system so could anyone else.
 Roomie Back on Road - Bill Payer
>> Went through Copart but if I could trace it's progress through their system so could
>> anyone else.
>>
The guy who wanted ours was in the trade and reckoned it would have gone for low £2K. He said generally cars sell through Copart for surprisingly high prices. It was written off as cat S.

We got £5,500 - after an initial cheque was sent without any dicsussion for £5K. I still think £5,500 was a bit low, but it was one of those 'worth more to us than anyone else' cars.
Latest Forum Posts