Motoring Discussion > Inconsiderate parking Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 32

Inconsiderate parking - bathtub tom
Daughter came out of her house to find a strange car had been parked immediately behind hers on the driveway. She had an idea it belonged to a resident in some nearby flats.

She did online checks, assuming anyone so inconsiderate wouldn't bother with tax/MOT/insurance. It wasn't taxed, so she informed DVLA and stuck some nasty notes on the windscreen. It was moved a couple of hours later, but she didn't see it going.

Today she got a knock on the door from a very apologetic man, claiming he'd been very tired (tired & emotional?) when he left his car there and honestly thought he'd left it on the road. He gave her a £15 voucher for her inconvenience.

I haven't asked her how she feels about reporting it to the DVLA.
 Inconsiderate parking - sooty123
I guess we've all parked somewhere we shouldn't when in a rush. At least he came around and apologised.
 Inconsiderate parking - zippy
We used to live in a close, near 3 schools. Parking was at a premium.

I used to come home to find parents parked actually on my drive! On several occasions the same car, even after telling them not to.

On a few occasions, usually after a long, exhausting trip home, I parked right across the drive and disappeared for a few hours. It soon stopped.
 Inconsiderate parking - Robin O'Reliant
Mrs O'Reliant came home the other day with an amusing tale about a driver who was attempting to reverse park into a space about 1 1/2 car lengths. First he went in too steep and kerbed the rear tyre, next attempt he go nowhere near the kerb and had to drive out and start again. Obviously getting flustered with herself and another driver watching on grinning he took three more goes before finally (Almost) getting it right and left it about two foot away from the pavement with the rear sticking out at an angle.

Old codger getting a bit passed it? No.

Young driver who had only just passed the test? No.

It was a police car.
 Inconsiderate parking - No FM2R
There's an SUV driving woman who presumably has kids at the same school as mine.

She is the absolute best parker I have ever seen. She can put her car, at speed, backwards into the tiniest spaces ever.

She intimidates me. I never park if she is watching.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 19 Oct 19 at 18:46
>>There's an SUV driving woman who presumably has kids at the same school as mine.

Mrs Z can park in the tiniest of spots.

When she had the Touran she would fit it in to spaces that much smaller cars would struggle with.

Mind you she used to drive the thing like it was a rally car.

I can't park for toffee. I have real difficulty in seeing in 3D and am borderline allowed to drive. Thank goodness for parking sensors and rear view cameras.
 Inconsiderate parking - Runfer D'Hills
More than three moves to park and frankly, you're not a real bloke. These things are important.
;-)
 Inconsiderate parking - sooty123
I can't remember the last time I had to parallel park, years ago I should think.
It's also very important to be able to do it on the door ( wing ) mirrors rather than copping out and turning your head. It's the measure of a man in truth. ;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Sat 19 Oct 19 at 21:51
 Inconsiderate parking - tyrednemotional
....and whatever you do, don't ever look at the kerb........
Once, once in 44 years, that's all, and you won't let it lie will you? Not that I'm bothered, as you can probably tell...
;-)
 Inconsiderate parking - Robin O'Reliant
>> It's also very important to be able to do it on the door ( wing
>> ) mirrors rather than copping out and turning your head. It's the measure of a
>> man in truth. ;-)
>>

In my case it's a measure of a man who'd need a neck brace for three days afterwards. This ageing business is no fun.
 Inconsiderate parking - Bromptonaut
Who else remembers Reginald Molehusband?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Molehusband
 Inconsiderate parking - Haywain
"Who else remembers Reginald Molehusband? "

Two friends call for me on the way to football and choir respectively and both are very competent parallel parkers. The name of Reginald Molehusband is frequently invoked on completion of another successful parking manoeuvre ...... "Well done, Reggie!".
There is a row of kerbside pay/display spaces outside the office and directly under the front windows. Regular distraction to watch people trying to paralell park. Double the amusement if it's a w@ nkpanzer they're struggling to park.

Grabbing a cheeky Big Mac while car shopping today I watched somebody take three goes at failing to reverse a Polo into an ordinary side by side bay. She seemed to visualise it as having the proportions of a bus.......
 Inconsiderate parking - Bill Payer
>> There's an SUV driving woman who presumably has kids at the same school as mine.
>>
>>
>> She is the absolute best parker I have ever seen. She can put her car,
>> at speed, backwards into the tiniest spaces ever.
>>
She may be using auto-parking, or whatever it's called. Wife's Tiguan has it and it works really well. It's terrifying how closely it skims the OSR corner of the car in front and it spins the steering wheels faster than you could ever turn it manually.
 Inconsiderate parking - No FM2R
I'll pay more attention next time. I didn't think so, but I'll check to be sure. I'd feel better to discover that she was.
 Inconsiderate parking - Duncan
>> He gave her a £15 voucher for her inconvenience.

Que?

How does that work? He just happened to have some vouchers in his pockets? Or did these vouchers have pictures of the Queen on them?
 Inconsiderate parking - legacylad
Vouchers with a picture of the Queen on them are referred to as ‘beer tokens’ amongst my social group
 Inconsiderate parking - Lygonos
Filmed Zippy parking in a town a few miles away...

youtu.be/hPRDUZ8q0I4

>> Filmed Zippy parking in a town a few miles away...
>>
>> youtu.be/hPRDUZ8q0I4
>>

Cheeky so and so!
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 20 Oct 19 at 20:24
 Inconsiderate parking - Falkirk Bairn
It's in Bo'ness.

Passed there just after the "event" - quite a few people milling about trying to find out how it happened- I do not think that they found the "driver" despite the video.

I used the term driver with tongue in cheek.
 Inconsiderate parking - Zero
>> Vouchers with a picture of the Queen on them are referred to as ‘beer tokens’
>> amongst my social group

Breaking up and selling my dead BiL's coin collection I actually found and researched a real beer token. Sold it for 48 quid.
 Inconsiderate parking - R.P.
10 pints and a bit at some places. Bit more than that at the Spoons ! :-)
 Inconsiderate parking - henry k
Nose first parking
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50529593
>> Nose first parking
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50529593

I thought from picture, before glancing at text, I recognised that as Lewis.

Readers of Peter May's Lewis Trilogy will recognise this as being close to where Fionnlagh's parents died in a car crash after swerving to avoid a sheep.

Inconsiderate parking - Duncan
>> Nose first parking
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50529593

Thinks - 1.30 in the morning?

I wonder what could have caused that?
>> Thinks - 1.30 in the morning?
>>
>> I wonder what could have caused that?

Cannot locate the actual house that car hit but general view of area is here:

goo.gl/maps/xB6fVNHDSXbTmDtF7

I know the road pretty well. We'be been regular visitors to Lewis/Harris since the eighties and few visits have not involved trips to The Butt of Lewis lighthouse and/or Calanais stones etc. Road is for most part straight as a die and runs over undulating peat moor.

Frost is possible however the Islands' Council has excellent gritting/ploughing capacity.

Excess speed, hit kerb, over correct etc is possible.

Or the demon drink of course.

Next steps probably won't make the BBC but the Stornoway Gazette will tell all.....
 Inconsiderate parking - CGNorwich
Drink is I believe a major problem on the islands, when walking on Harris a few years back I was staggered by the number of empty whisky bottles in the ditches, presumably discarded from passing vehicles.
>> Drink is I believe a major problem on the islands, when walking on Harris a
>> few years back I was staggered by the number of empty whisky bottles in the
>> ditches, presumably discarded from passing vehicles.

How long ago was this?

On our first visit in 1984 we were shocked and horrified by amount of rubbish in ditches. Another shock was the number of clearly derelict vehicles around houses along the road from Stornoway to Tarbert. In fact a car body leaned against a wall in style of this accident would have drawn no particular attention after first few miles.

More recently it's been much much better.

Just now I've booked ferries for our next trip up there in May/June 2020. Fortnight in a cottage that's secluded yet within walking distance of Tarbert.
 Inconsiderate parking - Bobby
For my birthday, my wife has bought me flights in to Barra. Have stood at the "airport" and watched flight come in but this will be a first to actually fly in.
 Inconsiderate parking - CGNorwich
It was a few years ago now - probably around 1998 I think. We stayed near Tarbert in a place called Aird Asaig. it was near the petrol station. Really enjoyed it there especially the hedonistic night life :-)
 Inconsiderate parking - Bobby
Must be a heavy sleeper!!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-50544503
Latest Forum Posts