Motoring Discussion > Tenerife car rental Car Deals
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 28

Tenerife car rental - legacylad
I’m self catering 8-23/12 and earlier this year rented from InterCar/Goldcar at TFS which ended in tears. I won’t use them again.
A car isn’t a necessity but I like the convenience of one if I fancy a drive around the island, walking in various parts of the island, popping to stock up at the supermarket.
Car hire ain’t cheap....Sixt, Thrifty, Keddy are all circa €140 full to full for the duration. Has anyone used these rental companies at TFS? Alternatively, I may enquire at local rental offices once I arrive.
Any recommendations please...Cicar & Canarias rentals are even more expensive.
 Tenerife car rental - Zero
Cheapest I could get for that period is Goldcar fiat 500 €128
Thanks 4 looking Z
DoYouSpain, Goldcar, full2full with unlimited mileage, Fiat 500 €109.
 Tenerife car rental - maltrap
I go to Tenerife twice a year. The best rental company for me is Autoreisen. They may not be the cheapest but their charges include full insurance. i believe Which also recommend them.
Wow you're not kidding when you say they are not the cheapest

€ 334 is their best price
I’m used to paying €35 for 15+ days at Alicante, with either Firefly or OKCars. And thats with full2full fuel. Got my own £40 annual CDW insurance, which works, as I found out!
At those prices I may have to endure my Tenerife based friends nutty driving. Which scares me. A lot.
 Tenerife car rental - Bobby
Last time I hired a car in Tenerife I found it cheaper to just hire from a backstreet shop close to hotel. *

* it was a 950cc Fiat UNO with dodgy brakes as I found out coming back down Teide ....
 Tenerife car rental - Sheikh Pass at
Does anyone have any experiences good or bad with Olecar? I'm looking for car hire from Barcelona to go to Andorra for a few days in February. The combination of extra insurance and winter tyres can be much more than the daily rental for instance OK Rent a car are charging e40 per day insurance and 11 for snow chains. All in Olecar seem reasonable.
 Tenerife car rental - CGNorwich
>> Wow you're not kidding when you say they are not the cheapest
>>
>> € 334 is their best price
>>

Something wrong there. Just checked Autoreisen Tenerife site and they show EUR 112.50 for Citroen C3 for 15 days from 8 December with no XS
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Wed 27 Nov 19 at 21:30
>> >> Wow you're not kidding when you say they are not the cheapest
>> >>
>> >> € 334 is their best price
>> >>
>>
>> Something wrong there. Just checked Autoreisen Tenerife site and they show EUR 112.50 for Citroen
>> C3 for 15 days from 8 December with no XS

€334 was the price i got from their website.
I often split car rental periods. On an 8 week trip there are normally 3 rental periods, coinciding with a weekend in Alicante or such, so no big deal as the airport is only a 75 minute drive from my normal accommodation and we often travel away for a few days. Don’t want to get cabin fever.
For the first 7 days of my upcoming trip I could get a small car for €21 from Rhodium. Full to full, free cancellation. Then I looked at TrustPilot reviews. Very discouraging.
Autoreisen, whom I’ve never heard of, have excellent reviews, so I think I’ll book online with them....€105 for a VW Polo. Slightly more than a C3 which a friend had a few weeks ago and it wasn’t a very nice piece of kit compared to my C Max. Worth an extra €10 for a minter ( haha) if they deliver as per the booking.
Prices have crashed then. I don’t think EUR 112 is too bad a price at all. Autoreisen are a good company to deal with. Have used them several times in Gran Canaria and Lanzarote and rate them with Cicar as about the best hire company in the Canaries.
 Tenerife car rental - helicopter
Was out in Tenerife two weeks ago and used Cicar for three day hire , cost Euro equivalent of £79 all in, got a brand new Opel Corsa and a completely professional and painless pick up and drop off.

Could have got it cheaper but the good reviews online for Cicar swung it for me.

Am still now in pain from a bad back after going Jetskiing in rough conditions and hitting a wave all wrong and taking off and then dropping around 6ft at around 50 mph ....

The Osteopath who rearranged my back yesterday did a good ( if painful ) job,relieved me of £ 60 but made the agony subside to a dull ache....Industrial quantities of Ibuprofen and Voltarol are keeping me going.

Last edited by: helicopter on Thu 28 Nov 19 at 06:58
 Tenerife car rental - Duncan

>> Am still now in pain from a bad back after going Jetskiing in rough conditions
>> and hitting a wave all wrong and taking off and then dropping around 6ft at
>> around 50 mph ....
>>
>> The Osteopath who rearranged my back yesterday did a good ( if painful ) job,relieved
>> me of £ 60 but made the agony subside to a dull ache....Industrial quantities of
>> Ibuprofen and Voltarol are keeping me going.

I have told you before. You are too old for all that caper.
 Tenerife car rental - helicopter
I have to admit Duncan that I have now reached the same conclusion...70 is probably a bit old to be doing dangerous sports but I do enjoy the experience of speeding over water and reading the waves ahead and just made a slight misjudgement. I have learned my lesson..

When booking up I looked at the ages of the other hirers and they were all less than half my age
Hope you recover soon helicopter. I’m just the wrong side of 60 and had to give up rock climbing in my 30s after a few tumbles and a bone graft on my right wrist which didn’t work. I also had to give up tennis & squash at the same time. I was useless playing left handed !
Much improved after a decade but not risked it again...I still ski very occasionally and avoid landing on my right wrist. And I ruled out learning to snowboard for that reason.

Car rental now booked. Autoreisen online 8-23 Dec @TFS, VW Polo €123. Surprised I didn’t have anything to pay, it’s not my usual full2full fuel policy, and online reviews are encouraging. Free cancellation if the price drops !

Thanks for responses....until this post I’d never heard of Autoreisen as they don’t feature on the list of hire companies on DoYouSpain.
Quite disappointed to have been given a 5 door Ibiza, collected from Autoreisen at TFS last Sunday. I was looking forward to 15 days behind the wheel of a new Polo.
It’s a tatty old example...70k kilometres, hard plastic steering wheel, scrapes on every panel. Paperwork shows it to be a 1.2 petrol, but not enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding. No queue at Autoreisen, and in retrospect I should have requested something better once I’d seen it in the rental area. Paperwork was very simple...no diagram with dings and scratches marked, the agent didn’t seem unduly concerned about me checking it over, and it came with a full tank despite the paperwork showing a half tank.

For all I know it’s an old model...ironically I parked near a brand new Ibiza FR in a lovely deep red metallic the other day, nice alloys, looked a miilion $. Mine looks a different beast. More like 100 lire.
 Tenerife car rental - Bill Payer
>> It’s a tatty old example...70k kilometres, hard plastic steering wheel, scrapes on every panel.

The Clio we got on Tenerife once with 40,000 kms was like that - topped off with a foglamp hanging out on its wire, like dodgy eyeball. We picked it up from an office near the hotel and they were very much 'take it or leave it'.

It was quite liberating not to worry about it getting damaged, although I'm sure it picked up a gouge in the door while we had it. Left it at the hotel for collection and didn't hear any more about it.
 Tenerife car rental - Dog
Reminds me of the time I hired a car from 'a little man' who did that, plus currency exchange etc. in the apartamento block we often stayed at when in Los Cris.

Bald tyres + windscreen wipers not working - I drove the damn thing op north ... where is was raining!!

And ... it was a jeep thing with no hood.

:o)
Last edited by: God on Thu 12 Dec 19 at 07:43
I need to go to Specsavers. I thought it was an ugly SOAB compared to a new Ibiza, and put it down to being an old model and the colour !It’s actually the old estate (ST) version. 1.2 with 90 horses. Feels more like 19.
Previous recent rentals were a new 208, newish C Max, 308, old model high mileage Fiesta and Focus. This thing is the pits both to drive and sit in. Dislike it more as each day goes by. Much like the Fiat 500 I had in July.
Hey ho
Home from Tenerife tonight, and I can fully endorse maltrap’s recommendation for Autoreisen.
They had my driving licence details in advance, nice friendly service. Not the cheapest, but on returning the vehicle I was asked at the ‘portacabin’ in the parking area if the fuel was half full as requested n the paperwork. It was, and I was on my way in under a minute. No one went to check the fuel level, or inspect the bodywork whilst I hung around. Doubtless if I’d fibbed or dinged it then I would find a charge on my cc.
Fully comp insurance was an extra €2 a day I think, but the agent didn’t try to sell it on collection and with my own annual CDW policy i didn’t require it.
I’ll definitely use that company again on my next trip to Tenerife in 12 months, when hopefully I’ll get a new Polo to hoon around in rather than the tatty old Ibiza.
Unusually high temps...27C in the sun on the SW coast, so I was glad to escape into the hills most days and discover more of the island, so not hitting the beach for my daily swim until 4pm, coming away at sunset a few hours later.
Yes, they are a refreshingly honest company to deal with. Already booked a car with them for a couple of weeks in Lanzarote in Feb.

Used them last Year in Gran Canaria. Had a small prang resulting in a dented door. When I told them when I took it back they didn’t even look at it - just said “that’s why you have insurance sir”
 Tenerife car rental - No FM2R
>>.27C in the sun on the SW coast

Pah, 37 here today. Takes a lot of gin to cope with that, I can tell you.

The climate here is strange in that around 5pm is the hottest part of the day so even in the hottest weather the mornings remain sane and usable.
Talking of gin, I’m no connoisseur, but always use a decent tonic. Larios @ €8 litre in the local supermarket is fine by me....at TFS this afternoon there was a selection of 5 different Larios. I’ve only ever seen the ‘original’ before. I plumped for the variant in the blue bottle...€14 litre.
I rarely bring alcohol back to the UK and had no idea that it was restricted to only a litre.

On arrival at LBA I looked for someone in the customs area as I was going to ask the question that if you bring more than your duty free allowance of spirit into the country, declare it, then what tax do you pay. There was no one around to ask, but I’m curious.
Last edited by: legacylad on Mon 23 Dec 19 at 22:41
Duty is £28.74 per litre of pure alcohol.
e.g
The Spirit Duty you pay on a 1 litre bottle of 40% ABV gin is 40% of £28.74, or £11.50.
Thanks CGN. I just looked that up.
I may well pay that if I find obscure gins which I like but are unobtainable in the U.K. on my next trip.
I would think there’s enough obscure Gin in this country already to keep you going! Never seen so much of the stuff as this year. Everyone seems to be making it. We must be near to peak gin surely.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Mon 23 Dec 19 at 23:06
>> I would think there’s enough obscure Gin in this country already to keep you going!
>> Never seen so much of the stuff as this year. Everyone seems to be making
>> it. We must be near to peak gin surely.

Certainly is, I live within 6 miles as the crow flies of 5 craft distillers. Some obscure, some not quite so - Like Silent Pool.

WE have a holiday in the UK every year, some far off point we have not visited. (two this year due to my medical complication) and we always seek out a local Gin to taste and maybe take home.

Lets be honest, a lot of gins taste very similar with only slight variations. Some notable exceptions have been St Ives Gin, even has a slight colour tinge, and Whitby gin.

Mind you wasting my time discussing gin with someone who thinks Larios is ok!!!!!!
 Tenerife car rental - No FM2R
>>I may well pay that if I find obscure gins

I used to smoke very heavily but was used to foreign prices. My smoking habit was difficult to support on UK prices.

Consequently it was my habit to bring 4 or 5 cartons (800 - 1000 cigarettes) each time I visited the UK. I don't ever try to cheat customs so every single time I came through the red channel and declared honestly all I had.

Never paid a thing. Always asked what I'd got, admitted it, and then waved through as trivial.
Latest Forum Posts