Motoring Discussion > M6 closure Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 15

M6 closure - Bobby
Down in Welshpool for a family do, driving back up to Glasgow tomorrow. Just realised M6 is closed at Preston all weekend for bridge removal works.

Google Maps detour shows M55 and A6 which everyone like me using google maps will be on. Any locals know a better detour for that area?
 M6 closure - Zero
Let google maps handle it, if the detour becomes crowded it will find a way round, as it did for me last year when they closed the m26 for a weekend
 M6 closure - Runfer D'Hills
Trouble with that stretch is the gert big river to cross and rubbish roads other than the M6.

Hell of a detour but scenic enough in parts would be to hack across the M62, up the A1M and dive back across the A66 or even just keep going and cross into Scotland over the Carter Bar.
 M6 closure - Bromptonaut
>> Hell of a detour but scenic enough in parts would be to hack across the
>> M62, up the A1M and dive back across the A66 or even just keep going
>> and cross into Scotland over the Carter Bar.

I too wondered if a route via God's own county might fit the bill.
Well I hesitated to suggest it, he'll not be used to avoiding random pigeons and ferrets...
;-)
 M6 closure - tyrednemotional
...he's from Scotland, where the kerbs jump out at you.....

....he'll be fine.
....though he'll have to be careful not to disappear in the rhubarb triangle....

;-)
>> ...he's from Scotland, where the kerbs jump out at you.....

On the contrary, that's Herne Bay, outside the chip shop. Scottish chip shop environs are much better maintained.
 M6 closure - R.P.
What Runfer says. That's what I;d do
 M6 closure - Zero
>> Down in Welshpool for a family do,

Ifn I was you, I wouldn't start from there.
...given that the traffic news says it re-opened early after bridge demolition (at 11pm last night), if you're travelling home today, I wouldn't bother diverting.

:-)
He's probably near Wetherby by now... :-(
...well, if he does get lost in the rhubarb triangle, it will be all your fault.....

;-)
Nah, he's married.

It'll still be his fault...

;-)
...well, if 'er indoors is navigating, he'll probably be near Sheerness by now.....

:-O
 M6 closure - Bobby
Cheers guys - as I was leaving I checked google maps to compare it to the BMW sat nav (always a wise thing to do) and noticed no diversion showing. After a quick check on twitter I saw that it had reopened so straight forward journey home.

One interesting part was around Lesmahagow. Sky had been relatively blue most of the way and temp was anything between 6-8 degrees. I noticed the sky suddenly got very heavy and within the space of about 3 miles, temperature had dropped to 1 degree, initially hail then snow came down but then cleared again within a mile or so.

Often hear of weather related accidents in this area but this is the first chance I have exerienced the drastic changes within such a short distance.
Latest Forum Posts