Motoring Discussion > Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 10

Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - zippy
I dislike the process.

Went to a Citroen dealer yesterday (Saturday) to look at a C5 Aircross.

Mrs Z and I were the only customers there and we were numerically matched with sales guys.

Did either one come over to help or answer questions?

They didn't even know the spec of the car.

When I asked for a test drive they declined. Too busy - we were the only ones there and it was just after 13:00 - not just before closing!

Shame as it was the best of the cars I saw yesterday - I might have to go to the next town along to try and buy one as I can't see this dealer being around much longer!

Did look at the Volvo XC60, there are some cracking lease deals on it at the moment but the thing is just to big, I would never get it parked in most client car parks.
 Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - MD
Get a bigger client. Sorry.
>> Get a bigger client. Sorry.
>>

It's bad enough with the Tucson in multi-storey carparks, the Volvo would stick right out in to the lane and because it's so wide I would struggle to get in to the car if someone parked next to it.
 Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - Runfer D'Hills
I manage fine in multi-storey car parks in my E Class estate, never mind some silly wee mummy truck SUV piece of automotive nonsense ! But then I suppose I am, after all, a driving God and it's unfair to judge the "others" too harshly. ;-)))

Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - R.P.
Get a V60 CC - an XC60 in all but size. Our V60 is good. The dealer was superb, as I quipped "good, but not quite as good as Skoda" ;-)
 Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - Avant
Or an XC40 if you like Volvos. This was only just out when I was looking two years ago, and I could only test-drive a diesel (excellent salesman on the other hand at Yeovil Volvo).

My Audi Q2 is only 4.2 metres long which I find very useful. I'd have this, or the XC40, or the Peugeot 3008, BMW X1, Ford Kuga or Kia Niro in preference to a C5.
>> Or an XC40 if you like Volvos. This was only just out when I was
>> looking two years ago, and I could only test-drive a diesel (excellent salesman on the
>> other hand at Yeovil Volvo).
>>
>> My Audi Q2 is only 4.2 metres long which I find very useful. I'd have
>> this, or the XC40, or the Peugeot 3008, BMW X1, Ford Kuga or Kia Niro
>> in preference to a C5.
>>

Isn't the 3008 a C5 in different clothes and a softer suspension?

I actually prefer the styling of the C5 (less angular).

I really like the look of the Vauxhall Grandland (silly name though) and as is the 3008, they are far too expensive on my lease profile - a good £100 a month more than the C5.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 19 Jan 20 at 23:37
>>Isn't the 3008 a C5 in different clothes and a softer suspension?

The other way around!?
>> Get a V60 CC - an XC60 in all but size. Our V60 is good.
>> The dealer was superb, as I quipped "good, but not quite as good as Skoda"
>> ;-)
>>

Lease cost on XC60 for my mileage (20k on a 3+36 deal) is £370, lease cost for V60 £440.

Surprisingly lease costs for a S90 is £320 and a V90 is £336. They are barges though!
(Was tempted with both until I saw how long they are.)

The £370 is the top of my budget as servicing and tyre replacements need to be added and I still have one kid at uni costing me £500+ a month and some house repairs (plumbing, electrics and floors). If I didn't have these I would be going for something at about £450 a month.

Mrs Z wants me to save money and go for the Suzuki Vitara base at £250 a month. I am thinking sod all of this and just by a Focus for commuting and go on more holidays! ;-)

Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - R.P.
Hahhaaha...we had a V90 for the weekend. It was like docking an aircraft carrier at the local supermarket. Lovely car especially on the A55 (dual carriageway across n.Wales)...
 Citroen C5 II - New Car Buying - Runfer D'Hills
There might well be something in what you say Zippy. It's worth paying a bit more for something you really like of course, but there's also a strong argumement for the other option of a cheap practical car too.

Like you, I have a son at uni, and that doesn't come cheap. I can afford the car I have and like, but I can see the case for going for a much less expensive alternative.

I'd maybe have a Duster if I thought I could manage with one. I quite like the concept of no frills motoring just as I like being cosseted by the car I've got now. Anywhere in between might feel a bit like a compromise.
Latest Forum Posts