Motoring Discussion > I want another car!! Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 18

I want another car!! - nice but dim
I knew it would happen to me, I'm getting itchy feet for another car (I blame Stu and his Daweoo!). I currently have a 98 Mazda 626 and although it has been perfectly reliable for the 18 months I've had it, Ive longed for a automatic. This is part down to curiosity, smoothness and the fact that I'm fed up of changing gears. Now I dont want to spend thousands but have seen a lovely looking Toyota Carina 1.8 on AT and was going to take a look at the weekend. I have this thought if I can get the trader to take mine as part ex and add maybe £300 (assuming he gives me £400 for mine) I could get a year or two out of it without too much hassle (I put £50 a month away for maintenance, MOT's anyway and expect to spend it)

How generally relaible are Toyota auto gearboxes and can anyone provide any feedback please?

The car in question is here
tinyurl.com/36bvamr

Any feedback wel
 I want another car!! - Bellboy
yes it should be in a museum for horse dung
better than a corsa
i dont do corsas ,sick of come backs
ask rattles ;-)
so you dont approve? Where Stu, he had an old toyota auto
its a conscientious objecter of the scrappage scheme
some poor Italian icon took the hit
unfortunately
 I want another car!! - Stuu
Theres plenty of Carina Es around so id be looking for the very best example with full history at that money.
 I want another car!! - Dave_
I had a Carina E 1.8 petrol for nearly two years and 25,000 miles. Cracking car, mine did 45mpg average although it was a manual. Spacious, easy to fix although rarely needed fixing, only real problems were "old car" ones rather than Toyota ones. The only quirk was the slightly odd damping set-up - great for comfort and cornering, but it pitched and dived quite remarkably under braking/acceleration.

The main problem with buying them is that 10-year-old+ examples, er, appeal to a certain sector of the population... they are/were commonly used as minicabs or for delivering takeaway food, hence clocking is a problem as is valeting. As Stu says though, if I found a good'un I'd have it with no qualms.
Last edited by: Dave_TD {P} on Thu 9 Sep 10 at 22:55
Thanks Dave, yeah this is what made the ad for the particular car in question stand out. I might have a drive over at the weekend and have a look at what history it has and MOT's etc and let him have a look at mine and report back.
its a 14 year old import
get real guys
theres some real peaches out there not found by the ex labour crush em mob
but then its still 14 years old
lots of problems on stuff like this
you are buying a loaded gun
>> its a 14 year old import
>> get real guys
>> theres some real peaches out there not found by the ex labour crush em mob
>> but then its still 14 years old
>> lots of problems on stuff like this
>> you are buying a loaded gun
>>

It's a British car man, built in Derby
thats worse not better
 I want another car!! - Stuartli
>> thats worse not better>>

I strongly dispute that....:-)
 I want another car!! - Skoda
I know of a BMW 728i with not *just* a silky smooth gearbox, it's also just about the best autobox in this age range (from downhill descents to always being in the right gear to tiptronic gear change to...), going for a fair price :)

This is the gem in the range for the everyday man:

* none of the fuel costs of the 750i, over 30mpg is easily achievable
* Competent performance, for weighing almost 2 tonnes the peachy inline-6 doesn't half haul!
* Servicing costs in line with a well maintained ford focus (i.e. using quality brand name / oem parts at an indie garage on both will be very comparable)
* Over engineered solid build quality
* Luxurious interior, thick pile carpets, the best leather not typical automotive leather, timeless orange, night vision preserving ambient lighting
* Lots of "nice" things, from the door handles that light up in a dark car park to the strong puddle lights in the doors to the very complete interior lighting. To the built in car phone (with hands free & working fax / data port socket)

The list goes on... :-) Fair price like i said. Maintained to within an inch of it's life. All suspension refreshed, not because it was all worn, just because.
Mmm, as nice a 6 pot beemer would be, I must keep realistic!
 I want another car!! - Dave_
And the Carina's the later shape, I say go for it Tim :)
 I want another car!! - bathtub tom
Looks good (so did the Corsa I flogged). Could be genuine.

What does an independent check cost nowadays?

Might be worth booking it in for an MOT during the test run, although if you don't know the area you could end up at the place that gave it its current ticket!
 I want another car!! - Zero
>> The list goes on... :-) Fair price like i said. Maintained to within an inch
>> of it's life. All suspension refreshed, not because it was all worn, just because.

790 quid is it?
 I want another car!! - legacylad
nice but dim
I sold my '97 626 SE to a friend in April for £900. It was immaculate with FSH and 12 months MOT. Personally, when buying at this price level I would always buy privately. Highly unlikely that the selling dealer would only be making £50 profit so think what the (your) resale value would be.
Scan the local private ads for a genuine private sale. My local newsagent/supermaket always have plenty of cars advertised, and you see plenty parked up with 'For Sale' notices in my part of rural N Yorks. A friend bought an old S Class Merc 2 years ago for £1600 and to date it has cost less than £100 in maintenance for 2 oil changes. Even the insurance and road tax are reasonable, and if something major goes wrong, doubtless it would be worth something as scrap or breaking for spares.
Set your sights higher and try for an old S class, a 728 or an LS400.
Good luck in your search.
Latest Forum Posts