Motoring Discussion > Dacia-Renault Sandero - Tyre pressure warning light accuracy.
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 4

Dacia-Renault Sandero - Tyre pressure warning light accuracy. - Roger.
I wonder how accurate these things are?
I bought our Sandero on March 6th. last year and the low tyre pressure light came on 5 days ago.
I had not checked or topped up the tyres until then, although I had only done some 4600 miles.
The pressure was down a bit, all round, but not alarmingly so.
New tyres on new rims must hold the air pretty well, but I was surprised.
I will check manually from now on, though.
 Dacia-Renault Sandero - Tyre pressure warning light accuracy. - Lygonos
There's two types Roger:

One with a sender on every wheel in the valve stem, and another that watches the ABS sensors and triggers when one wheel starts routinely rotating faster than the others.

I would presume the Dacia is the latter (cheaper) and has a single warning lamp.

The valve stem ones usually have a display option to see the actual pressures in each tyre.

Valve stem ones are accurate to +/- 1psi.

The indirect one can sometimes need 5+ psi difference to trigger the warning - presumably if all of the tyres have lost the same amount of air it doesn't trigger easily.

The ABS linked one can highlight a slow or fast puncture but as a monitor of pressures is not great.

The valvestem ones are reliable for pressures but it's good practice to check tyrewear and condition anyway of course.
 Dacia-Renault Sandero - Tyre pressure warning light accuracy. - PeterS
Worth noting that although the valve stem ones might well be accurate to +/- 1 psi, the ones fitted to the BMW (now gone), MINI and Merc only actually trigger the warning when the pressure drops by 10% or more, so it’s worth checking the display so see what the actual pressures are and topping up as necessary, particularly when the temperature changes rapidly. In the BMW I’d assigned one of the 8 (from memory) user definable preset buttons to shortcut straight to tyre pressure/temp. Have subsequently done the same in the MiNI, though I think that only allows 6 user defined presets. I haven’t found a way of doing it in the Merc though

I’ll contrast that to the Toyota Landcruiser Prado (which seems to be the soft-reader) version of the landcruiser, rather than the full blown go anywhere version) with 300,000 Kms on the clock, where a +/- 50% in tyre pressures is unlikely to make any difference on Kenyan roads ;)
 Dacia-Renault Sandero - Tyre pressure warning light accuracy. - Zero

>> the temperature changes rapidly. In the BMW I’d assigned one of the 8 (from memory)
>> user definable preset buttons to shortcut straight to tyre pressure/temp.

I just press the talk button and shout "TYRES" at mine, and it gives me a reading.
 Dacia-Renault Sandero - Tyre pressure warning light accuracy. - PeterS
>>
>> I just press the talk button and shout "TYRES" at mine, and it gives me
>> a reading.
>>

The voice recognition in the 2 series was rubbish. Whether that was because it was noisy or was an just older version of i-Drive than the MINI I’m not sure...that recognises normal speech patterns most of the time. But, using it interrupts the music, and pressing a button is quicker than pressing a button and then talking :)
Last edited by: PeterS on Sun 26 Jan 20 at 21:28
Latest Forum Posts