Motoring Discussion > Ford Fiesta - Horse power...nay Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 16

Ford Fiesta - Horse power...nay - legacylad
Collected the new rental yesterday. Fiesta ST Line, petrol. Not looked under the bonnet yet, but it’s a bit shabby, 20k Kms on the clock, lots of dent & scrapes. Russian lingo on screen, which I need to alter.
I assume it’s a 1.0 3 cyl job, of which there are 3 power outputs ( I think) I’m curious as to which it is. Any ideas how I find out ?
Forgot to say it’s a 6 speed manual if that’s any indication and it will get hammered tomorrow on the Marina Alta mountain roads as I’ve an hours drive to the start of a walk.
17” rims with Michelin rubber so should be grippy.....
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 4 Feb 20 at 20:20
 Ford Fiesta - Horse power...nay - No FM2R
I presume you've done the rental car versus taxi when required calculation?
On your actual question, perhaps this will help?

en.vindecoder.pl/
 Ford Fiesta - Horse power...nay - Zero
>> On your actual question, perhaps this will help?
>>
>> en.vindecoder.pl/

WARNING, fine for your hire car, but be aware your Vin number ends up in a list on that website. You don't really want that splashed round the web.
As you say, not important on a hire car, but why does it matter on anything else either? My car actually displays it's VIN for everybody to see.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Feb 20 at 20:42
>> As you say, not important on a hire car, but why does it matter on
>> anything else either? My car actually displays it's VIN for everybody to see.

Its used in the car ringing business. Wont matter for a Fiesta, its not the ringers target market, but for Rangies, barbie Mobiles, Beemers and Mercs, its a gift
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 4 Feb 20 at 20:48
>>Its used in the car ringing business.

Sounds about as sensible as all the people who pixel out their number plate when advertising their cars for sale and then park in a Tesco's car park.
Actually, having said that, I can see how a VIN would be more useful than a license plate number, but even so I'm not sure I'd worry about it much.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Feb 20 at 21:06
 Ford Fiesta - Horse power...nay - Bromptonaut
>> Sounds about as sensible as all the people who pixel out their number plate when
>> advertising their cars for sale and then park in a Tesco's car park.

My Xantia which I sold for scrap and my Roomster, written off after scrape, were both collected and auctioned by same outfit. Both concealed part of reg with gaffer tape. Chap collecting the Xantia was explicit about 'our Eastern European friends' and by inference their cloning cars. Thought it an over reaction to what was probably an isolated incident.

OTOH if I were after a false identity before taking the Fabia on a speeding and parking spree I'd be searching 'white Fabia Estate' on sales sites from comfort of home long before creeping round Tesco's car park in the dark.
A reg number is going to be used within the UK and thus is some scumbag having a go at speed cameras or driving off with a tankful of petrol. He'll not care about the VIN.

Frankly I think it'd probably be quicker to look out the window or walk around a car park, but I guess it could be adverts. However, I'm pretty sure it's imagined risk rather than actual.

Initially I dismissed Zero's comments about car ringers, but I may have been overly dismissive in retrospect;

I assume that when a car is stolen the VIN is reported as stolen and therefore is probably not much use. But I guess a valid VIN for the car you're trying to sell in a region from where it was not stolen might be more of an advantage. Essentially I guess it'd just show as a potential import if checked. But presumably the first time it went for a 'official' service it'd get flagged.

I suppose it comes under the heading of potentially better safe than sorry, but unless I had something really high end and lived in an area where such cars were frequently stolen then I wouldn't worry about it much.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 4 Feb 20 at 21:36
 Ford Fiesta - Horse power...nay - bathtub tom
>> OTOH if I were after a false identity before taking the Fabia on a speeding
>> and parking spree I'd be searching 'white Fabia Estate' on sales sites from comfort of
>> home long before creeping round Tesco's car park in the dark.

If you're looking for a false number plate, I'd suggest live webcams would be a better source. Cars on the road are more likely to be T&T'd than those on dealer forecourts.
Gracias senor
I’ll check the VIN and see how many donkeys the Fiesta has.
Sadly I’m unimpressed with it so far....was really looking forward to it once I realised it wasn’t an i10. Notchy gearchange, most unlike any Ford Ive ever driven. Crash bang suspension. I’m eating my words here and saying that last weeks C3 Aircross mini SUV was far nicer to both drive and ride in.
Let’s see how it goes tomorrow. I’m not expecting much mpg as I know the route well and it’s point and squirt between hairpins.
I’ve input the VIN. Most surprised that it’s shown as the most powerful of the 1.0 3cyl variants with 140 bhp. Last weeks C3 AirCross mini SUV with 130 seemed far more lively
Any how, I took it down the autopista yesterday at 120kph, ( and a bit) some stop start, up into the mountains today where I hammered it uphill, much gentler on the return as the coastal views under a deep blue sky were superb
Trip computer shows 44mpg...I changed the digital speedo to mph so I could better equate speed/ noise levels.
The ST Line 5 door Fiesta is a lovely looking car. Nice alloys. Bluetoothed seamlessly from my Iphone 5S. Lots of toys, although the collision warning buzzer annoys when I approach mini peletons of cycling teams on the roads around here.
It’s growing on me.....
Hammer it round some bends, it handles superbly, once you get used to the fact that the steering doesn't self centre very strongly,
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing today around the Marina Alta. No wheelspin. High grip element on 17” rims with Michelin rubber. Handles superbly as you say.
I’d love to see how the new Focus ST estate goes with the 2.3 engine.
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 6 Feb 20 at 21:59
?
03/02 > 23/02 full to full fuel, unlimited miles, Wiber rent a car through the online broker ‘DoYouSpain’. €17.60. Plus my annual UK CDW cost of £40.
23/02 > 15/03, same rental company and broker, same vehicle class, €28.05.
Hope it reduces because I’m not made of money....free cancellation of course.
Car used daily to get around the area and into the mountains, food shop as we self cater, and drive into town and taxi back as excess gin consumption oft prevails.
Paddle board sticks out a bit but senor plod hasn’t pulled me yet!
Latest Forum Posts