Motoring Discussion > Two Teslas survive Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 6

Two Teslas survive - henry k
Two Teslas going in opposite directions on the same road met the same tree at that exact time.

Video on site and at recovery.
www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tesla-autopilot-saves-familys-life-21512255

Local reports
www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18239621.driver-tells-lucky-escape-tree-crashes-onto-tesla-car-dorset/
www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/18241990.dorset-mans-lucky-escape-falling-tree-hits-two-tesla-cars-storm-dennis/
 Two Teslas survive - Lygonos
Think I posted it before, but here's the "cheap" Tesla's autonomous braking in action.

The 'kid running between parked cars' stop is witchcraft (2:19).

Unfortunately it does badly vs Bromptonaut (2:25) failing to maim/kill the cyclist both times....

youtu.be/cMiZa3HgRVE?t=2m4s

p.s. imagine any pre-1990 car doing the (1:35) pole test

Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 18 Feb 20 at 22:53
 Two Teslas survive - zippy
>>Two Teslas going in opposite directions on the same road met the same tree at that exact time.

That Elon Musk will do anything to increase sales!

Lucky and no doubt autopilot helped an a lot. Shame its an expensive optional extra.

My last car had front radar braking. Saved my bacon once. Stopped the car before I was able to get my foot to the brake pedal.
 Two Teslas survive - Lygonos

>>Lucky and no doubt autopilot helped an a lot. Shame its an expensive optional extra.

Lazy journalism - all Teslas have automated braking and safety features, it's not part of Autopilot itself.

They all currently have basic Autopilot as standard too, though the "Full Self Driving" functionality is another 5-6 grand (and still basically in beta format of course).
 Two Teslas survive - Robbie34
My 2019 Volvo V60 has automated braking but it sometimes frightens the life out of me. If I am following a vehicle that signals to turn left, I take my foot off the accelerator and slow down. As the vehicle is turning, and I'm close to it, the Volvo sounds, flashes a red vehicle in the HUD, and brakes. Someone close behind me could run into me. The braking is fierce.

Two Teslas survive - Zero
Automated emergency braking saved the life of a girl who ran out in front of me between two parked cars, that is why it is fitted, cant complain about that,
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 19 Feb 20 at 11:53
 Two Teslas survive - Crankcase
My Volvo fired emergency braking once in anger, and everyone involved was relieved by the outcome.

I've just picked up a new Skoda that has adaptive cruise and emergency braking/forward alert stuff, and it has some menu settings for the aggressiveness of the system. It appears you can set it to trigger at different points, the options ranging from "early" to "late".

Do the current Volvos have a similar setting buried away sonewhere perhaps?
Latest Forum Posts