Motoring Discussion > Volvo & Towing Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 58

Volvo & Towing - Zero
This weekend, in preparation for my caravan purchase I did a two day caravaning course. Somone there had a new Volvo XC90 a car I considered before I got the Beemer.

It had terrible lock, and where most of us could do a 90 degree reverse into a bay with two large bites of lock, the Volvo needed three and quite a bit of of extra twiddling.

Generally speaking, as a complete caravan newbie, the course was good, covering all the aspects I needed. Hitching, manoeuvring, levelling, connecting up, etc etc.
 Volvo & Towing - No FM2R
I detest reversing a caravan and as well as being stunningly s*** at it. How did you get on?
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> I detest reversing a caravan and as well as being stunningly s*** at it. How
>> did you get on?

Surprisingly, to me anyway, reversing in a straight line was the one I had the most difficulty with and will need to work on. The instructor was good, and taught us the "two" bites reverse. Full lock (the wrong way) at the right moment to get the van going the way you want, till the inside wheel stops rotating and becomes a pivot, then stop, full lock the other way then reverse into the pitch. left and right. Very good, simple technique, well taught.

The beemer was great, auto hold off, and it crept at a perfect pace even with a van on the hook.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 15 Mar 20 at 20:24
 Volvo & Towing - No FM2R
>> reversing in a straight line was the one I had the most difficulty

Me too. But at the time my nephew had a little pedal tractor with a small trailer. Making that go backwards with one hand on the top of the wheel got my head around it and at least helped me to manage it in real life.

Though I don't think I'll ever actually be good at it.
 Volvo & Towing - Manatee
As I'm sure you know, there's a cheat to reversing a caravan straight back which is to watch the mirrors and pull down on the steering wheel on whichever side you see the side of your caravan.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> As I'm sure you know, there's a cheat to reversing a caravan straight back which
>> is to watch the mirrors and pull down on the steering wheel on whichever side
>> you see the side of your caravan.

Yes that was the method they used, hand on top of wheel, pull 1/4 lock towards mirror the van was appearing in, but somehow it never stuck with me.
 Volvo & Towing - Duncan
I used - hand on bottom of steering wheel, move hand whichever way you want the back of the van to go.
 Volvo & Towing - bathtub tom
Reversing a 'van's easy, compared to a camping trailer.
 Volvo & Towing - Fullchat
Indeed. When you see it in your door mirror its already out of kilter.
 Volvo & Towing - R.P.
The V60 has a better lock than the 335d (which had x drive). Far easier to turn in the "yard" despite being 4 mm longer ! :-)
 Volvo & Towing - Bill Payer
5 Series Beemers are noted for having a very poor turning circle - quick Google suggests it's worse than the XC90.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 17 Mar 20 at 09:19
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> 5 Series Beemers are noted for having a very poor turning circle - quick Google
>> suggests it's worse than the XC90.

Real experience on Sunday suggests otherwise. Also the instructor (an HGV instructor) pre warned the owner about the poor lock on the XC90
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Mar 20 at 10:06
 Volvo & Towing - Bill Payer
>> Real experience on Sunday suggests otherwise. Also the instructor (an HGV instructor) pre warned the
>> owner about the poor lock on the XC90
>>

Wonder if the turning circle is different in reverse?

The 11.6 meters I see for the XC90 doesn't seem much different to other cars - Ford Focus is about the same.

Maybe small differences in the figures make a big difference in reality?
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> >> Real experience on Sunday suggests otherwise. Also the instructor (an HGV instructor) pre warned
>> the
>> >> owner about the poor lock on the XC90
>> >>
>>
>> Wonder if the turning circle is different in reverse?
>>
>> The 11.6 meters I see for the XC90 doesn't seem much different to other cars
>> - Ford Focus is about the same.
>>
>> Maybe small differences in the figures make a big difference in reality?

Dunno, but the lack of front wheel articulation was noticeable. I seriously doubt it could do 11.6 metres either way. Perhaps its changed on the new one?
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 17 Mar 20 at 15:08
 Volvo & Towing - R.P.
Volvo quote 11.4 for the V60 CC
 Volvo & Towing - BiggerBadderDave
"hand on bottom"

Very Harvey Weinstein.
 Volvo & Towing - Duncan
>> Surprisingly, to me anyway, reversing in a straight line was the one I had the
>> most difficulty with and will need to work on.

No worries, Z.

I will come round and give you a few tips. I am not bad at reversing, if I say it myself.

In these difficult times, we have got to help the older members of the community.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
I am not the one with the toilet roll stash.
 Volvo & Towing - Bromptonaut
>> Surprisingly, to me anyway, reversing in a straight line was the one I had the
>> most difficulty with and will need to work on. The instructor was good, and taught
>> us the "two" bites reverse. Full lock (the wrong way) at the right moment to
>> get the van going the way you want, till the inside wheel stops rotating and
>> becomes a pivot, then stop, full lock the other way then reverse into the pitch.
>> left and right. Very good, simple technique, well taught.

I agree that straight line reverse is difficult; absolute fish tail job when we ended up down a dead end while searching for the 'just right' pitch on a site in Brittany. I can usually manage to get it onto pitches on C&M club sites now, just use the mover to tidy up. Taken a couple of bites at the cherry sometimes - a complete go around and approach the pitch again. Generally easier to pitch on my right as I can keep the peg (C&M club is totally anal about 'van offside aligning with pitch's marker peg) in sight.

After a lot of practice I can also get it on the drive at home - a sort of S/Z type wiggle. Only possible when neighbours are out - insufficient space otherwise. Even though it's a tiny van the mover is essential.

What size/type of caravan was being used? We're pretty sure small 'vans like yours or our Xplore 304 are more trouble than some of the bigger jobbies like the Bailey Unicorn Cadiz we fancy as a 304's replacement. That'd be an expensive swap though as it's too heavy for the Berlingo.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Mon 16 Mar 20 at 13:52
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
We were dragging Adria vans around, bout 5.5 metres long, similar size to the basecamp I plan to buy
 Volvo & Towing - Runfer D'Hills
Can't really believe I'm saying this, but I kind of fancy one of those base camp vans for our MTB activities. We never really stop biking over winter, but getting changed outside, out of soaked and mud encrusted kit after a ride in horizontal sleet is sometimes beginning to feel a bit too hair shirt as the years advance.

Or, I guess we could take up bowls.

;-)
 Volvo & Towing - Bobby
Buy a Transit Humph !
 Volvo & Towing - legacylad
Years ago I sold my VW 2.4 5cyl VW LWB HiRoof Transporter...it was getting on for 10 yo, had run it for most of that time as a business vehicle, and it was so reliable I ran it privately for another year when I was building an extension on my place and helping a pal with his demolition business.
I sold it far too cheaply....the phone rang off the hook and a chap drove 150 miles to buy it as transport for his scrambling bikes and, being a HiRoof, to get changed in when pouring with rain.
Best van I ever owned, although I only owned 6 in 20 odd years.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> Can't really believe I'm saying this, but I kind of fancy one of those base
>> camp vans for our MTB activities. We never really stop biking over winter, but getting
>> changed outside, out of soaked and mud encrusted kit after a ride in horizontal sleet
>> is sometimes beginning to feel a bit too hair shirt as the years advance.

Get a basecamp plus, and it even has a shower attachment to hose down the bikes, before you stow them away in the built in bike holder.....
That is a strangely attractive proposition. What is happening to me? :-(
 Volvo & Towing - tyrednemotional
...are you well....? ;-)

(Campervan is a better prospect for your cycling if you are considering more leisure time in the near future - I suspect there will be a bit of a price-drop shortly........)
>> ...are you well....? ;-)

Not sure in truth.

Not really felt the best since I got back from China...
;-)
 Volvo & Towing - Crankcase
Skim reading stuff at present, but if what you are saying is so, Humph, then all the very best.
Thanks CC, but I got back in December, I think it's unlikely to be a function of current events.
...all joking aside, the disruption to your employment and duties as a function of current events might well be expected to have an effect on your well-being, along with many others.

Brexit is/was bad enough (especially in circumstances such as yours)........

I'm sort of aware that whilst SWMBO and myself are rather closer to the "at risk" category than we might care to be, there are an awful lot of people who ought normally to have much more to look forward to than us that must be considerably more anxious than we are, being as we are, for the time being at least, economically sound.

If/when this is all over, I think we as an older, more affluent generation (or as many as survive ;-) ) need to think carefully about how we can help the less-fortunate to become economically active and secure again.

As part of a coordinated (and equable - no offshoring allowed) effort, I might accept seeing a proportion of my kids inheritance disappear as long as everyone similar gets a proportionate hit.

Never did like the zero-hours, gig economy.
 Volvo & Towing - R.P.
Saw one in the metal (or whatever material it might be) today at the local dealer in Abergele. It looks quite attractive, even the V60 hesitated to have look
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
And the dead is done, I have purchased a 4 month old 2020 model year Swift Basecamp with + pack and Vango Airbeam awning.

Stuff it on the hitch next Saturday for a 120 mile drag home,

Volvo & Towing - Duncan
>> And the dead is done, I have purchased a 4 month old 2020 model year
>> Swift Basecamp with + pack and Vango Airbeam awning.
>>
>> Stuff it on the hitch next Saturday for a 120 mile drag home,

I love a good typo!

Zero, you know where I am if you have trouble reversing?
Last edited by: Duncan on Mon 23 Mar 20 at 05:37
>>
>> Zero, you know where I am if you have trouble reversing?
>>

...you'll be safe if you stand directly behind, Duncan....
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> >>
>> >> Zero, you know where I am if you have trouble reversing?
>> >>
>>
>> ...you'll be safe if you stand directly behind, Duncan....

i can splat him dead centre ifs a left or right reverse turn, straight line? hit and miss for sure
>> Stuff it on the hitch next Saturday for a 120 mile drag home,

If we're still allowed out by then.........
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
He's agreed to keep it if I insure it. Anyway, he is a consultant and his wife is a nurse, I have a wife returning to man the nursing pumps, so I'll be travelling on essential business!!!!
>> I have a wife returning to man the nursing pumps.......
>>

........one of you going to isolate in the new 'van......?
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> >> I have a wife returning to man the nursing pumps.......
>> >>
>>
>>
>> ........one of you going to isolate in the new 'van......?

They make pretty good isolation bubbles, TV, heating, Internet, fridge full of booze, whats not to like.
 Volvo & Towing - Bobby
Why's previous owner decided after 4 months he doesnt want it anymore?
And why did he buy a caravan in November!!
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
I wont recount the story here, but its genuine.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
And so the Basecamp is safely tucked up on my front drive. Uneventful trip up to Loughborough and back yesterday.

Should have put the confederate flag on the BMW and called it the General Lee, as I felt a bit like Luke Duke avoiding Sheriff Coltraine.

The M25 & M1 was more or less empty, Services mostly closed except for fuel, Smiths and the toilets.

Saw one cop car on the whole return journey, and that was a local.
 Volvo & Towing - devonite
Surprised you weren't accosted by locals with pitch-forks turning you back and calling you a disease -ridden tourist rat!
>> Surprised you weren't accosted by locals with pitch-forks turning you back and calling you a
>> disease -ridden tourist rat!

Wondered if he'd get stopped. Reports on caravan related FB groups suggest police in some areas were targeting caravans and camper-vans to deter folks from isolating themselves in the country's remote spaces.
I'm conflicted about all this in truth. I do totally get the need to take care not to spread the virus, but for example, normally at this time on a Sunday we'd be up a mountain on our bikes, only very occasionally encountering others on remote trails and could easily keep a safe distance while doing so or parking.

As the years advance, we take great care to avoid injury too but the very act of attempting to go for an off road ride would be seen as subversive by some at the moment.

Inevitably almost, the rules are set to the limits of lowest common denominator behaviour.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> Wondered if he'd get stopped. Reports on caravan related FB groups suggest police in some
>> areas were targeting caravans and camper-vans to deter folks from isolating themselves in the country's
>> remote spaces.

Saw a couple of camper vans, clearly fally laden, one towing an I10 heading north, I assumed they would not get to their destination*

Me, I always assumed I would be safe and free from police state harassment, major routes/motorways not safe to set up roadblocks even if they had the manpower.

Grateful for empty roads for my first ever tow, and no traffic in my street for my first reverse onto my drive.

*Destinations, or near to is where its all going to go down, they'l get close maybe, or even arrive, but will get a tug sure enough.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 29 Mar 20 at 12:57
 Volvo & Towing - sooty123
I saw a police report about a driver from b'ham in a camper van, who'd tried to get down to devon and got turned back.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> I saw a police report about a driver from b'ham in a camper van, who'd
>> tried to get down to devon and got turned back.

Think you are safe on the M5 or the A303, but once you hit the A30 you are dead meat in the crosshairs.
 Volvo & Towing - sooty123
www.devonlive.com/news/uk-world-news/tourist-sent-home-devon-border-3994673

Not sure where he was stopped but here's the report.
 Volvo & Towing - No FM2R
>>the tourist's bold move to get away from Birmingham

Damn near reasonable justification I'd have said.

Volvo & Towing - Zero
>> >>the tourist's bold move to get away from Birmingham
>>
>> Damn near reasonable justification I'd have said.

Hold up, Its not Basingstoke.
 Volvo & Towing - No FM2R
No, I think leaving Basingstoke actually would have been reasonable justification.

And Bracknell.

Places beginning with B really.
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
when you come back, the new Bracknell will surprise you.

Well part of it anyway
 Volvo & Towing - PeterS
>> No, I think leaving Basingstoke actually would have been reasonable justification.
>>
>> And Bracknell.
>>
>> Places beginning with B really.
>>

Fortunately Bracknell is well connected to both the M3 and M4, assisting in a rapid exit no matter whether you’re going North, South, East or West. Likewise Birmingham, using either the M6 or M42 is easy enough to escape in any direction. Basingstoke however is easy enough North / South, but a little more difficult East / West... So, Basingstoke must be worse than both Bracknell and Birmingham ;)
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
Looks like an A road.
 Volvo & Towing - R.P.
Christ on a bike (or towing a caravan) people have been turned around heading for Rhyl....- they must be desperate - anything coming up our lane face the prospect of being persuaded by famers that they'd be better off in er...Rhyl
>>
>> Saw a couple of camper vans, clearly fally laden, one towing an I10 heading north,
>> I assumed they would not get to their destination*
>>

There are some prats around, but there are also still people who have been struggling to return, particularly from Spain and Portugal, who are just arriving home.

If the I10 wasn't on a trailer, however, that is unlikely to be the case, since towing a car on an A-frame is a no-no on most of the Continent.

There are also a number of "full-timers" either already in the UK or returned from abroad who are struggling to find somewhere to stay (no home to go to, no-one's drive to hunker down on). Whilst you might think that such lifestyle invites such problems, life isn't easy in these unexpected, abnormal times.
 Volvo & Towing - PeterS
I *think* that travel is still allowed to meet a contractual,obligation, as well of course for work purposes where the work can’t be done at home. So given that Z had committed to buy it, I’m sure that a case could be made for collecting it as well, if the seller no longer wanted it on his premises. Or perhaps Z was being paid by Mrs Z to collect it, in which case it was work anyway that couldn’t be done from home ;)
 Volvo & Towing - Zero
Perish the thought that I was ever contemplating the "wife is a nurse returning to man the crisis pumps" card,
Latest Forum Posts