Motoring Discussion > Parking near junctions Legal Questions
Thread Author: MD Replies: 4

Parking near junctions - MD
As time has passed car ownership seems to have grown to a level where there is just not enough room on local roads for parking. The estate where my Daughter lives is a case in point and certain idiots literally park at the end of roads at 'T' junctions so that when one approaches to turn either left or right from said junction, one is literally straddling the white line. This causes rant from anyone trying to turn in. IIRC years ago this was an offence and there were clearly defined distances from junctions to be adhered to re: parking. Also wasn't it an offence to park the 'wrong way around' on a road, i.e. facing oncoming traffic.

If it still exists could some kind soul point me to the relevant legislation/act.

Stay safe........MD
 Parking near junctions - Bromptonaut
Highway Code rule 243.

www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/waiting-and-parking-238-to-252

It's do not rather than must not so no law as such. If however it's dangerous or an obstruction then rule 242 May be engaged and that is MUST territory.
 Parking near junctions - Fullchat
It does still exist but its all to do with lighting.

During the hours of darkness vehicle must be parked with rear reflectors facing oncoming traffic (so nearside to kerb except in one way street)

Only exempt from obligatory sidelights in 30MPH speed limit or less, unless designated parking bays.

Cannot park within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction at during hours of darkness if you do you must display sidelights.

When I was a young Proby it was a job on nights to go and issue tickets for the above.

Confession time: Second week of service I was parked up in a residential cul-de-sac and went to my car for the early shift and found a £12 ticket behind the wiper. Parked the wrong way round. I wasn't aware of the offence. I think they call it experiential learning :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Sun 3 May 20 at 12:13
 Parking near junctions - henry k
>>Cannot park within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction at during hours of darkness if you do you must display sidelights.

>>During the hours of darkness vehicle must be parked with rear reflectors facing oncoming traffic (so nearside to kerb except in one way street)

I discovered that it was the law to park this way at all times in South Africa as some kind passer bye informed me and I avoided a ticket.

Is this a case of the law not being fit for the " current" situation.
A few years ago Surrey installed new computer conrolled street lights etc.
Our strreet lights get switched of at about 01:00.
So " it was OK when I parked but then some B turned out the lights"

Parking near junctions - Bill Payer
>> Cannot park within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction at during hours of darkness
>> if you do you must display sidelights.
>>
I don't think you're supposed to park in that area even in daytime - doesn't it appear in both parts of the parking rules? It's a pain locally at two cars always park across the top of the T at the end of our road, so it's tricky to get out and the odd trucks that find themselves there have mashed up the kerbs.

>> Our strreet lights get switched of at about 01:00.
>> So " it was OK when I parked but then some B turned out the lights

It's based on the speed limit, rather than whether there's street lights, I think.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Sun 3 May 20 at 14:54
Latest Forum Posts