Motoring Discussion > MOT extensions. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Oldgit Replies: 59

 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
We've been told that cars requiring an MOT after March, which includes mine, will be extended by 6 months. However, when I go to the DVLA website where one can check on one's car details my car's MOT date still says 'due on July 7th'.
Will this eventually be updated or does one merely put off the MOT for a further 6 months?
Personally, I'd rather have it done by the July date ie about a fortnight before that, providing I can get it done.
 MOT extensions. - Rudedog
Had personal experience on this..

MoT date will remain as is up until three days before the current due date and then it should automatically update with the new extended date.

If it doesn't then there is a Gov.uk email address to contact.



 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
Thanks but can I still retain the old date deadline? I'd rather have it done in June /July rather than cold old December /January.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 May 20 at 02:14
 MOT extensions. - Zero
if you can find a garage open, you can have it done when you like within the extension. but . most MOT places are shut because no-one is having MOTs - because of the extension.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
Well a PTA group garage is open a stone's throw away from my house in Bromley. They're open for MOT and tyres etc. I pass this place every Saturday when I walk to nearby Newsagent to get weekly paper. I'll pop in and enquire nearer the time to the non-extended date in early July.
 MOT extensions. - hawkeye
>> Had personal experience on this..
>>
>> MoT date will remain as is up until three days before the current due date
>> and then it should automatically update with the new extended date.
>>
>> If it doesn't then there is a Gov.uk email address to contact.
>>

Personal experience also. The Jaguar was due for MoT on May 9th. As of Tuesday May 5th, it's now due November 9th.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
>> Personal experience also. The Jaguar was due for MoT on May 9th. As of Tuesday
>> May 5th, it's now due November 9th.

OK then. Once it has been extended by 6 months to the new date will that henceforth always be the new date to have one's MOT done?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 8 May 20 at 19:51
 MOT extensions. - sooty123
I can't see why not. It would a faff to do it any other way.
 MOT extensions. - No FM2R
>>OK then. Once it has been extended by 6 months to the new date will that henceforth always be the new date to have one's MOT done?

You can have your car MOT'd at any time. If it is within a month of the existing renewal date then the existing renewal date will be maintained. If it is not within a month then the actual test date will become the new renewal date.

So just get it tested next June, or in whichever renewal month it is that you prefer.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Fri 8 May 20 at 17:18
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
>> >>OK then. Once it has been extended by 6 months to the new date will
>> that henceforth always be the new date to have one's MOT done?
>>
>> You can have your car MOT'd at any time. If it is within a month
>> of the existing renewal date then the existing renewal date will be maintained. If it
>> is not within a month then the actual test date will become the new renewal
>> date.

Thanks for that. I'd forgotten about the any time section and that becoming the new MOT date. I was only asking because from my point of view it's easier getting it done in the Summer, say June than the dark cold days leading up until Christmas not that there will be much of the latter this year thank goodness - there's always a silver lining, I suppose.
 MOT extensions. - No FM2R
I quite understand. Though ironically I used to prefer the dark winter days for such things since I had no (or at least fewer) other demands on my time.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
>> I quite understand. Though ironically I used to prefer the dark winter days for such
>> things since I had no (or at least fewer) other demands on my time.
>>
But now having it done 'earlier' could upset their system I suppose and cause me further problems in the future.
 MOT extensions. - Dave_
>> Though ironically I used to prefer the dark winter days for such things

The gloom and damp can do a good job of hiding leaks, for one thing.
 MOT extensions. - Bromptonaut
>> The gloom and damp can do a good job of hiding leaks, for one thing.

A test result for our first Berlingo had the observation 'Wet Test!!'. When I asked the value of that note the tester explained the car had been driven on wet roads creating the possibility that leaks were hidden.

That was in the middle of summer, just a stormy day.
 MOT extensions. - Duncan
I was only asking because from my point of view it's easier getting
>> it done in the Summer, say June than the dark cold days leading up until
>> Christmas not that there will be much of the latter this year thank goodness -
>> there's always a silver lining, I suppose.

Why is it easier getting a MOT done in the Summer than the Winter?
 MOT extensions. - sooty123
If it fails and you do your own repairs, it's a lot easier in the summer.
 MOT extensions. - Duncan
>> If it fails and you do your own repairs, it's a lot easier in the
>> summer.

How do you get it home from the garage where it failed its MOT?
 MOT extensions. - sooty123
>> How do you get it home from the garage where it failed its MOT?

Same way it got there.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 11 May 20 at 02:55
 MOT extensions. - VxFan
>> Same way it got there.

Depending what it failed on, you could be breaking the law by driving it home.

Unfortunately the garage cannot forcibly stop you driving it away with defects, they can only advise against it.

 MOT extensions. - bathtub tom
>>Unfortunately the garage cannot forcibly stop you driving it away with defects, they can only advise against it.

If it failed on dangerous items, the garage may feel morally obliged to inform the police who could stop it to protect the public. Could raise insurance questions.
 MOT extensions. - Bill Payer
>> If it failed on dangerous items, the garage may feel morally obliged to inform the
>> police who could stop it to protect the public. Could raise insurance questions.
>>
I was asked to sign a waiver once by a Ford dealer when they'd found a drive-shaft fault they said was dangerous after I'd dropped a company lease car in on a Saturday morning, and they didn't have any other car I could take.

So I hired a car, from their convenient on-site car hire outlet. :) No idea who paid the bill, but it wasn't me!
 MOT extensions. - James T

>> Depending what it failed on, you could be breaking the law by driving it home.

In that case, you would also have broken the law driving it there. The only difference is that you can't plead ignorance.
 MOT extensions. - VxFan
>> In that case, you would also have broken the law driving it there.

That's why it's best to book an MOT beforehand. Providing it's pre-booked, then you're not breaking the law if the vehicle hasn't got an MOT.
 MOT extensions. - RichardW
You are if it's unroadworthy....bald tyre for instance.
 MOT extensions. - James T
>> >> In that case, you would also have broken the law driving it there.
>>
>> That's why it's best to book an MOT beforehand. Providing it's pre-booked, then you're not
>> breaking the law if the vehicle hasn't got an MOT.
>>
There is an offence of driving a car without an MOT, but that's relatively minor - typically a fine and no points on your licence.

The much bigger offence is driving a car that's unroadworthy - even if the MOT is prebooked.

The law doesn't completely define what unroadworthy means - but it's usually taken to mean tyres, brakes, steering, dangerous bodywork.
 MOT extensions. - sooty123
>> >> Same way it got there.
>>
>> Depending what it failed on, you could be breaking the law by driving it home.
>>
>> Unfortunately the garage cannot forcibly stop you driving it away with defects, they can only
>> advise against it.
>>

Not a massive issue for me, the garage I use is pretty sensible. I keep on top of maintenance, I don't remember ever having a car fail for anything dangerous.
The garage I use is probably half a mile round trip. The chance of seeing a police car around here? More chance of winning the lottery!
 MOT extensions. - Robin O'Reliant
>> The chance of seeing
>> a police car around here? More chance of winning the lottery!
>>

I have found that the chances of a pull from the Old Bill rises in direct proportion to the seriousness of the offence you are committing :-(
 MOT extensions. - James T
>>
>> I have found that the chances of a pull from the Old Bill rises in
>> direct proportion to the seriousness of the offence you are committing :-(
>>
I've only been pulled over twice.

Once was on the motorway in the middle of the night. No apparent reason, and I was sent on my way.

The other was when the policeman noticed something strange going on with the rear suspension on my car. It turned out to be the void bushes (Cortina mk5). No action taken - just advised to get the car checked.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
>> I was only asking because from my point of view it's easier getting

>> Why is it easier getting a MOT done in the Summer than the Winter?
>>

Because it is for me and that's that. The days leading up to Christmas in a normal year are usually busier for some but not me. And also in the Summer my nearby Balaam Ford dealer is quieter with people being on holiday. I have a VW by the way, as some will know already.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
I now see that that some motoring organisations such as THE SMMT et al are railing against the Government's decision to extend MOT testing by six months! They claim this is dangerous and that many cars and other vehicles will be on a dangerous state that will go undetected because of this extension.
A somewhat exaggerated view I think but let's hope that one way or the other we keep the new system or make it clear if the old expiry dates are kept to.
 MOT extensions. - Duncan
>> I now see that that some motoring organisations such as THE SMMT et al are
>> railing against the Government's decision to extend MOT testing by six months! They claim this
>> is dangerous and that many cars and other vehicles will be on a dangerous state
>> that will go undetected because of this extension.

I don't think the SMMT can be called a 'motoring' organisation. It is a trade association for people or companies in the motoring industry.

To the point of your post. They would rail against an MOT extension, because it means less work for its members.

They are simply trying to protect the interests of their members, which one might say is what they are there for.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit

>> I don't think the SMMT can be called a 'motoring' organisation. It is a trade
>> association for people or companies in the motoring industry.

I realise my mistake but could not seem to edit it out. Yes, I mean't Trade bodies.
 MOT extensions. - percy
Our car MOT was due 25th May, decided to get it done beforehand, ie today, 18th May.
Result was a pass but the next MOT due date is 17th may 2021. So I've lost 8 days.
Test garage said sorry, nothing we can do about it.
I'm emailing DVSA, will let you know the outcome.
 MOT extensions. - legacylad
Really. I’ve lost more days than that on holiday as a teenager in Benidorm.
 MOT extensions. - Zero
Yeah quite right, demand your £1.22 losses back.
 MOT extensions. - No FM2R
So *you* decided to get it done beforehand and now you want compensation?

Dear God, just think about the time to write the email and the poor sods on the other end who have to answer you with civility.

Why on earth would you think it worthwhile?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 18 May 20 at 21:55
 MOT extensions. - tyrednemotional
...if I'm reading this correctly, the OP has MOT'd his car within the month's period that would under normal circumstances retain the original anniversary as the MOT expiry date.

Whilst I can't say that I'd be unduly worried about losing 8 or so days' validity, I do think I'd be asking the DVSA under what basis this arrangement didn't now apply (regardless of the fact that I might have got an additional 6 months' grace in another day or so if I hadn't done it).

It seems to me that under the current arrangements of only extending the MOT by 6 months 7 days in advance of the date of expiry, there is going to be a hell of a scrabble from those who are close to that 7 days when the arrangement is removed (at worst condensing the best part of 31 days demand into 7 days).
 MOT extensions. - Runfer D'Hills
I've still got my winter tyres on. But, the car has only done a hundred miles or so since the end of March and may well only do another couple of hundred before July, so they aren't exactly going to be wearing out any time soon. Then will come the dilemma as to whether it's worth taking them off only to put them back on again in October or something.

Which of course, is nothing at all to do with this thread, but I didn't think it was an interesting enough aside to begin another one.

However, its MOT is due at the end of May, but there's no rush now is there.

See, dragged it back screaming from the edge of the abyss eh?

As you were chaps, as you were...
;-)


 MOT extensions. - No FM2R
Well, you started it.......

I do not use winter tyres. I just use whatever the normal tyre is, though they're quite good ones.

I pop off up into the Andes in snow. Proper, deep snow. I very rarely put it in 4WD and even more rarely put chains on. I don't use snow tyres.

I'm not sure what winter tyres are supposed to bring that all-weather tyres do not.
 MOT extensions. - legacylad
As an aspiring driving god I don’t need winter tyres. I try to be in Spain.

Ref the E class estate. I walked past a new looking 220d parked up in the Dales yesterday. A metallic burnt orange colour and got to say it looked a million dollars.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
Finally, my MOT is usually due in the first week of July, actually July 6th this year. Would you all suggest I ignore this date but instead have the test done 6 months later or get it done 'early' say in late June as I usually do?
 MOT extensions. - Duncan
>> Finally, my MOT is usually due in the first week of July, actually July 6th
>> this year. Would you all suggest I ignore this date but instead have the test
>> done 6 months later or get it done 'early' say in late June as I
>> usually do?

If the Govt. are offering you a free six months extension, why not take it?
 MOT extensions. - bathtub tom
>>If the Govt. are offering you a free six months extension, why not take it?

Because that'll put it in the first week of January and if he's like me he likes to dismantle,inspect and clean his brakes. Give the car a good wash, including hosing down the undersides and if it passes give it a service.
My MOT's due the first of April and I got it done early March before the lockdown and it was cold then! Wish I'd waited and got the six month extension.
 MOT extensions. - Duncan
>> >>If the Govt. are offering you a free six months extension, why not take it?
>>
>>
>> Because that'll put it in the first week of January and if he's like me
>> he likes to dismantle,inspect and clean his brakes. Give the car a good wash, including
>> hosing down the undersides and if it passes give it a service.

Well, if that is what you like doing then, er, so be it. Personally, I find it hard to think of anything I would like to do less.

I long ago passed all that sort of thing over to men with tattoos.
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
>> >> >>If the Govt. are offering you a free six months extension, why not take
>> it?
>>
>> I long ago passed all that sort of thing over to men with tattoos.
>>
Iv no intention of preparing my low mileage Golf, <12k miles prior to an MOT! It is presented as if but can see that the dirtier, Dark days of December /January aren't my favoured months for anything.
I'm niw to old to be taking off wheels and blowing my discs clean etc. That's something my VW service in August should do. Of course I d like the MOT done then and there on Beadles premises.
 MOT extensions. - Zero

>> That's something my VW service in August should do.

You think? Unless you ask for it, they will check pad thickness with a quick glance. and nothing else
 MOT extensions. - Falkirk Bairn
>>they will check pad thickness with a quick glance. and nothing else

I'd love to know how much a VW Franchise would charge for a wheels off, strip out pads, grease, adjust the handbrake etc etc

3 years ago my CRV was at a Honda franchise for a service and asked for a price - £280 inc VAT. My Indie did it for 1 hour labour - inc VAT it was £55-£60 IIRC + new pads on front which was another £55 I Think. It gets once every 2 years so not this year - hopefully just a service.

Certainly cheaper to fork out for fettling rather than have sticky pistons etc necessitating disks & pads due to neglect.
 MOT extensions. - CGNorwich
As per their menu servicing VW charge £169 for front pads and £139 for rear including replacement pads as necessary.

www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/pricing


Not the cheapest in the world but I get my car serviced at the local VW dealer and never had any problems. Have only paid out for regular servicing, tyres etc. in eight years of VW ownership.


The coffee is good too.

 MOT extensions. - Bill Payer
>> 3 years ago my CRV was at a Honda franchise for a service and asked
>> for a price - £280 inc VAT. My Indie did it for 1 hour labour

Worth it on Hondas - they seem to be notorious for sticking caliper sliders etc - dealer told us we should get behind the wheel and jet-wash the calipers!

I asked a Merc dealer to strip and clean the brakes - they refused. I asked the Merc indie I use and he refused too! He'd have done it if I insisted, but I thought there's no point in making him do something he doesn't want to.
 MOT extensions. - Runfer D'Hills
I'd never tried them until the winter of '18/'19 and only then because the car was going to Italy twice over that winter. They were still in good enough condition to put back on this past winter so I thought I might as well.

Once these are worn out, I doubt very much whether I'll bother again, unless the car has to go somewhere where it's a legal requirement.

On the occasions when they have been used in the conditions they were designed for, I can say they made an appreciable difference, but that also I've never actually been stuck either in many years of driving with "normal" tyres.

Probably just about worth the effort if you can be bothered with the faff and expense I suppose, but by no means essential.

Online hyperbole about RWD cars being "undriveable" in winter conditions is, for the most part, nonsense, but winter tyres do have tangible benefits in those circumstances.

Yes, I like the new E class estate too LL, but I think the way things are, and seem likely to be in the future, my old one may have to last quite a bit longer ! I'm pleased to report that despite its advancing years and miles, it shows no signs yet of getting too tired for its intended purpose.
 MOT extensions. - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Yes, I like the new E class estate too LL, but I think the way
>> things are, and seem likely to be in the future, my old one may have
>> to last quite a bit longer ! I'm pleased to report that despite its advancing
>> years and miles, unlike its driver, it shows no signs yet of getting too tired for its intended
>> purpose.
>>


...fixed that for you....
 MOT extensions. - Runfer D'Hills
Heh heh, yeah, you have got that about right T&E !
;-)
 MOT extensions. - Zero

>> Ref the E class estate. I walked past a new looking 220d parked up in
>> the Dales yesterday. A metallic burnt orange colour and got to say it looked a
>> million dollars.

Its amazing what fake exhaust vents can do. I suppose the fake tan helped as well.
 MOT extensions. - legacylad
Can’t say I noticed the exhaust/s on the E220d when I walked past it. I’m over the fake tan. I seriously need both a manicure and pedicure. As for my eyebrows.....
 MOT extensions. - Runfer D'Hills
I just go over my eyebrows with my beard trimmer.

Oh crap, that's not to do with MOTs either is it ?
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 19 May 20 at 20:49
 MOT extensions. - VxFan
>> Our car MOT was due 25th May, decided to get it done beforehand, ie today, 18th May.
>> Result was a pass but the next MOT due date is 17th may 2021. So I've lost 8 days.

Because of the automatic 6 month MOT extension, you car didn't require an MOT until 25th November.

As you're already aware, you can only get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.

You can get an MOT earlier, but the renewal date for the following year will change to one year (minus a day) from the date the vehicle last passed its MOT.

Info at www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot


 MOT extensions. - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Because of the automatic 6 month MOT extension, you car didn't require an MOT until
>> 25th November.
>>


AIUI, the change to the date is only being applied a maximum of 7 days in advance (so that DVSA can choose to terminate the practice as and when with minimum impact). Whether that 7 days is inclusive of the original date or not I don't know, but I may find out shortly.

As the OP says that his expiry date was 25th May, then one might assume (I did, possibly wrongly) that he was still at least one day ahead of that extension being granted - though any amendment to the date could only be checked on line.

So,

if the date was amended before or on the same day he had the test, then the result is what I would have expected.

If the test was carried out before the date was adjusted, and within the month's grace period, then I would have expected to maintain the original anniversary.
 MOT extensions. - percy
Thanks all for your thoughts.
When I finally checked on line the extended 25th November date was there for all to see.
8 days is small beer I agree.
Rather surprised that the test centre hadn't thought about the problem occurring when I booked.
Maybe I should have asked the question but social distancing etc tends to cut short conversations.
However the DVSA did help me out and have amended the certificate with no fuss, so I'm content.
Having the test at the normal time did flag up an advisory which gives me time to correct in the better weather.
Cheers to all!
 MOT extensions. - bathtub tom
I was flogging a car. Thought I'd get a better price with a new MOT. Had it MOT'd many months before it was due and queried why it hadn't had a 13 month renewal. Was informed of the rules. I guess the same still applies
 MOT extensions. - Oldgit
Getting back to the original subject!!! Here's the definitive answer from the DVSA.

Dear Oldgit

If you are able to secure an MOT booking and it is safe for you to attend, then we would encourage you to do so, however if for any reason you are unable to get the test then the extension will be added and you can MOT your vehicle at your earliest convenience.
Please be aware that you will not get a new paper MOT certificate with the new expiry date on it, and you must ensure your vehicle is kept in a roadworthy condition and safe to drive, for more guidance on this please click on the link here.
I hope this information has assisted you with your enquiry, but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards
Latest Forum Posts