Motoring Discussion > Blisterig Exhausts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 17

Blisterig Exhausts - Ambo
Has anyone else noted a big increase in noise pollution from car and motorbike exhausts over the last year or so? The vehicles may be tuned that way in manufacture but I would presume there are legal decibel limits. Alternatively, the tuning may be modified subsequently or baffle plates removed. The excess noise is not confined to obvious sports models; many innocuous saloon cars or bikes exhibit it too. Drivers increase the noise by trying to beat their personal 0-60 speeds away from traffic lights or while overtaking. The police don't seem bothered.
 Blisterig Exhausts - Zero
>> Has anyone else noted a big increase in noise pollution from car and motorbike exhausts
>> over the last year or so?

No.

Tyre noise, now thats another matter.
 Blisterig Exhausts - Runfer D'Hills
Told you you'd regret those Bridgestones...;-)
 Blisterig Exhausts - Zero
>> Told you you'd regret those Bridgestones...;-)

They are not good. T
Thats a distress purchase for you
 Blisterig Exhausts - PeterS
>> >> Told you you'd regret those Bridgestones...;-)
>>
>> They are not good. T
>> Thats a distress purchase for you
>>
>>

Bridgestone runflats don’t seem to have improved in the last 15 years...I had a 535d in 2005 which came with them, and both the ride and noise were worse than I’d expected. A set of normal Michelin’s improved things considerably...and mine was an SE not M Sport! The MINI also has Bridgestone runflats; the fronts need replacing soon, and I think I’ll ditch the runflats then. Interestingly the Merc is also on runflats, but Goodyear something or others, though I hadn’t even realised they were runflats until I had one replaced a few months ago after a pothole induced bulge appeared on a sidewall. They also have some sort of sound deadening in them too, which caused a few issues when finding a replacement. Presumably that’s for the benefit of the occupants rather than those outside the car though!

Both have exhausts that are definitely engineered to sound ‘sporty’, even though they’re just 4 cylinder 2 litre petrol engines. Mind you, the straight 6 in the BMW before was also engineered to sound sporty, with the obligatory pops and crackles on the overrun in ‘sport’, and worse than that the sound was ‘enhanced’ in the car via a (or the?) speaker(s)!!
 Blisterig Exhausts - Bromptonaut
There were a couple of motorbikes idling in the next street last night. Probably HArleys or something else that keeps the cylinder count right down. In combination they sounded like a radial aero engine...
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 26 May 20 at 16:59
 Blisterig Exhausts - Robin O'Reliant
>> There were a couple of motorbikes idling in the next street last night. Probably HArleys
>> or something else that keeps the cylinder count right down. In combination they sounded like
>> a radial aero engine...
>>

Can't have been Harleys, they sound like a bag of nails exploding in a biscuit tin.
 Blisterig Exhausts - Terry
Egocentric boy racers who mistake noise for performance.
 Blisterig Exhausts - Rudedog
Certain manufactures have variable exhausts where the sound can be changed from inside the cabin..

While I can I'd much rather listen to a nice flat six or five cylinder burble than the silence of more modern cars (EV's).

I'm sure there was an episode of WD where they took a kit car for it's IVA test and it had to be under 100 decibels to pass... is that loud as things go?

Blisterig Exhausts - legacylad
The exhaust of my car sounds really throaty for the first 20 seconds after starting up. Then settles down.
My neighbour, 3 doors away, has a newish 4.4 V8 M5. His next door neighbour, who really should know better, swore blind to me that it sounds like a diesel. Jeez. He needs his lugs replacing.
 Blisterig Exhausts - CGNorwich
Sound levels on testing should not be above the levels when type approval was granted for that make/model.

maximum permitted for a new car is 74db A reducing to 68 dba 2026.

Blisterig Exhausts - Netsur
>> Sound levels on testing should not be above the levels when type approval was granted
>> for that make/model.
>>
>> maximum permitted for a new car is 74db A reducing to 68 dba 2026.
>>
>>

Thank the Lord.... I swear car noise is louder now that it was 20 years ago.
 Blisterig Exhausts - hawkeye

>> I'm sure there was an episode of WD where they took a kit car for
>> it's IVA test and it had to be under 100 decibels to pass... is that
>> loud as things go?
>>
>>
There was indeed; I watched it a day or two ago. It was a Gardner Douglas Mk3.

I think there was also some undocumented nonsense concerning the fog light during the IVA test. In a couple of shots there was a horrible thing clamped to the rear bumper, and a visible wire. Just guessing ...
 Blisterig Exhausts - Shiny
I have only really noticed on older chavvy cars that have been modified.
It seemed to have once fallen out of fashion and now fallen back in, it seems to be a 'flex' on TikTok and Youtube. New cars that are a bit louder because of large engines at least sound pleasant.

I was recently thinking how you don't hear the loud shaking bass car audio much these days, it was really prevalent at one time.
 Blisterig Exhausts - Boxsterboy
Yes, I have noticed this. Not only the usual chavs with their 'performance' exhausts, but brand new cars. The chap opposite has a BMW M2 and on start up it makes a right din. The funny thing is that most of these new loud exhausts are fitted to 4-cylinder cars, which sound rough rather than racy.

I can't stand noisy exhausts - it is the automotive equivalent of shouting your head off as you walk down the street.
 Blisterig Exhausts - VxFan
I'm still trying to work out what a Blisterig Exhaust is?

Blistering would suggest it's very hot and could cause a burn injury if touched.

Maybe you mean noisy exhausts?
 Blisterig Exhausts - helicopter
Talking of noisy exhausts, if you need to make your Citroen sound like a V12, why not try this...

www.facebook.com/garagedesblogs/videos/718454458900230/
 Blisterig Exhausts - Shiny
Maybe Blitzkreig?
Latest Forum Posts