Motoring Discussion > CDW policies Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 21

CDW policies - legacylad
It’s just crossed my radar but if travelling against FCO advice ( Spain) then that invalidates your travel policy. I wonder if it similarly invalidates the CDW policy?

My own U.K. bought annual policy expired in May, and I planned to buy another, commencing on my first day of Spanish car hire in late September.

I shall investigate, but would appreciate feedback if anyone has already asked that question. Gracias
 CDW policies - Zero
CDW? I suspect thats not affected Covid is not material.
 CDW policies - Bromptonaut
>> CDW? I suspect thats not affected Covid is not material.

I'd expect that too but OTOH does lockdown affect local driving standards and therefore risk of claim.

Not saying it does but if insurer said it was case and a material change in risk you might have a problem.

Time to study T&C's with a fine tooth comb.
 CDW policies - legacylad
And car insurance ? If travelling to Espana against FCO advice, thus invalidating one’s travel insurance, would your car insurance still be valid if you took your car on the ferry to Bilbao, or anywhere really, then drove into Spain.
>> And car insurance ? If travelling to Espana against FCO advice, thus invalidating one’s travel
>> insurance, would your car insurance still be valid if you took your car on the
>> ferry to Bilbao, or anywhere really, then drove into Spain.

I don't think, while EU rules still apply, that they can resile from minimum legal cover; 3rd party or similar.

Full cover as in UK is a contractual issue.

Small print job again.

CDW policies - PeterS
There are enough polices out there that provide cover regardless of FCO advice, and that also cover COViD now. Insurers have quickly worked out that the risk of having to pay out on these policies is still pretty low and so is easy, profitable, business. I can’t imagine it’d have any impact on CDW policies anyway. I’m travelling to Tuscany at the weekend, by car, through France...one night in Epernay and three in the alps on the way there. LV have confirmed that my car and travel insurance are perfectly valid. The car has EU assistance, and I have a tag for French autoroutes. LV have sent me a green card, though it’s no longer green. I’m not worried!

Return route or date not fixed yet...maybe quarantine will have been lifted in France before I come back, but if not I’ll arrange a Waitrose delivery and spend a couple (more) weeks at home! Though, actual advice is that if you don’t let anyone get in your car in France, and don’t get out a mingle with people (so pay at pump ok) then there’s no need to quarantine anyway...but it’s a long way from Italy... ;)
 CDW policies - legacylad
Sounds like a great trip...
How is your MB convertible? Was it a C class cabrio....when on the Costa Blanca I see quite a few white ones with red fabric roof which I think look very smart.
 CDW policies - PeterS
>> Sounds like a great trip...
>> How is your MB convertible? Was it a C class cabrio....when on the Costa Blanca
>> I see quite a few white ones with red fabric roof which I think look
>> very smart.
>>

Yes, should be good. The autoroute tag has already arrived, less than 24 hours after I ordered it. Mines an E class cabrio - a sort of dark red colour with a dark red roof. Darker than the red on the C class roof. It’s a wonderful wafty sort of car, but with a decent turn of speed (it’s an E350 so 300bhp) and that handles very well too. It’ll be by far the longest journey I’ve done it since it was delivered, so will let you know how it goes!

ibb.co/C6bHzJ0
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 21 Aug 20 at 10:11
 CDW policies - Runfer D'Hills
Dunno about anyone else, but I'm not jealous at all Peter, not even slightly, no, whatever would give that impression, perish the thought etc...Pah, who would want to drive to Tuscany in late summer in a powerful Mercedes convertible, can't think of anything more tedious frankly...

Sobs and starts head butting walls... ;-)
 CDW policies - Zero
Pass the wall over when you have finished with it
 CDW policies - PeterS
>>
>> Sobs and starts head butting walls... ;-)
>>

Seemed to be plenty of availability for eurotunnel, hotels in France and villas in Tuscany...I only started putting this trip together Wednesday... ;)

Z has a caravan, so even easier...!!
Last edited by: PeterS on Fri 21 Aug 20 at 18:03
 CDW policies - legacylad
4 seats in the E class.....Jolly through the Alps then. I’ll pay the fuel. A few years since I walked the GR5 from St Gingolph to Nice and happy to help with maps.
Pass the wall....
Not jealous at all.
 CDW policies - PeterS
Yes, 4 seats and plenty of room for luggage. Outbound at least. I anticipate bringing back more than I go with... The outbound eurotunnel that I’m booked on leaves at 12:50 on Sunday, and I’ll be driving there from the south cost, leaving round 9 I reckon. If you’d like a lift to the Alps let me know :)

I’ll start a separate trip thread tomorrow to let you know how it goes...
 CDW policies - legacylad
Please do.

I spoke with LV yesterday to clarify some points. My two weeks on the CBlanca in May, taking my old Mum, didn’t happen for obvious reasons, and the money I paid for the villa will be rolled over to next year...or held in my ‘kitty’ with the renter.
In February I paid in full for 6 weeks villa rental commencing late September and as I booked and paid pre FCO advice against all but essential travel to Spain, I’m fully covered in case the agent ceases trading. They are very unlikely to cease trading because they own all their 18 or so rental properties in Moraira....I’ve now decided to fly out early October as friends villa sharing the first two weeks have cancelled due to still being in work and having to quarantine upon return.The Company offered to return my money in full for those weeks, putting it back into my Revolut account, but as I may extend my stay I declined.
Incidentally the property was re let almost immediately, which illustrates there is still demand for fairly priced rentals.
Are you planning to go over or under the Alps Peter?

Under is quicker of course, but over is so pretty and great roads. About a lifetime ago, I went over the tops in a Scirrocco ( sp? ) with Mozart on the cassette player.

Lovely.
 CDW policies - PeterS
I’ll be going over I think. Having, somewhat belatedly, looked more closely at the route last night I think I’ll stop in Dijon not Épernay on the way down, as I’ll have plenty of time, and then Épernay on the way back :) That’ll take away the temptation to drink whatever I purchase before returning...thoughthe produce of beaune will be equally tempting...
 CDW policies - Zero

>> Under is quicker of course, but over is so pretty and great roads. About a
>> lifetime ago, I went over the tops in a Scirrocco ( sp? ) with Mozart
>> on the cassette player.
>>
>> Lovely.

I went over the Stelvio playing "On days Like These".

Yes Yes I know it was a different pass in the film, but Mrs Zee didnt, lets not spoil her moment.
There's a Campanile just a few hundred yards off the motorway at Dijon. Very basic motel style rooms but cheap and clean. I've used it before a few times. I've a customer in Grenoble and some in northern Italy and I sometimes break the journey there. It's not the sort of place you'd take a partner, but if you're travelling alone, and just need to get your head down for a few hours, its fine. What's more, in these strange times, it's one of those places where your room door opens straight on to the car park. No need to go indoors other than for check in/out. Outdoor tables too for snacks/breakfast.
 CDW policies - legacylad
Talking of Grenoble I’ve often caught the train from there back to Geneva for a flight home. Usually finishing a walk somewhere in the Alps, often Briançon area, then a pretty drive by bus to Grenoble for an overnight stay.
>> There's a Campanile just a few hundred yards off the motorway at Dijon. Very basic
>> motel style rooms but cheap and clean.

I suspect the other French chains will also be represented. We used Dijon as a final night stop inbound after camping in Alps etc. when the kids were still dependant. Our preference was for the B&B chain as they did, and I think still do, excellent family rooms. Built like deck access flats so no communal spaces other than reception and a dining area. Good breakfasts.

The Campanile and other chains had restaurants nearby.
 CDW policies - PeterS
Thanks! Small world...in a previous life the company I worked for had a customer in Grenoble - ST Micro. I always used to stay here:

www.grand-hotel-uriage.com/en/

But that was after flying in to Lyon and being met y a taxi...usually an Audi A8....there’s money in software ;)

When heading south on holiday we’d stop at the Mercury in Dijon, but as it’s just me now I’ll take a look at the Campanile, along with whatever Airbnb have to offer :)
Well, that's the thing Peter, it may sound counter intuitive, but if I'm just passing through, I go cheap and cheerful, but if I'm staying for a while, I'll get something a bit more comfortable/pleasant. Anyway, saving a few quid on the short stops kind of justifies more to spend on the wine on the way back ! ;-)

Still not jealous. Honestly... :-(
Latest Forum Posts