Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen - At last I've done it!
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 14

Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Rudedog
Today I've swapped my (from new) 2006 Golf TDi for one of my dream cars a metallic blue 2019 Golf GTi PP.

Timing seemed to be right to make the the jump from the black stuff to petrol (last petrol car I had was a Mk2 Golf in the early 90's), I hope to keep it for at least ten years before maybe EVs become dominant (really like the ID3s).

Massive jump in technology from my 2006 car to 2019, going to spend a heap of time digesting the handbook and many an hour sitting on the drive playing with buttons.

Car doesn't have many extra options but that is how I wanted it with standard wheels and the tartan cloth seats over leather.

Once Europe opens up I really hope to carry on with my trips into France and to revisit the Jura area or even into Germany.

Big jump in power from my old 140PS to a healthy 245PS, certainly put a massive smile on my face!

Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Dave_
Very nice Rudedog! I hope you had a painless experience disposing of the TDI. Is the GTI manual or auto?

I've just got a 2016 Octavia vRS TDI DSG, it's a fantastic all-rounder and I suspect I'll be keeping it for a good while.
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Rudedog
It's a 7 speed DSG, I had a DSG in my diesel so I'm used to the way they drive.

On this one in Eco mode the gearbox coasts on a downhill if you take your foot off of the accelerator, very weird and I've found myself dabbing the brakes which is not going to be good long-term so will probably just use the Normal driving mode.

Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Manatee
>> It's a 7 speed DSG,

That would be a negative for me, but herself much prefers autos. I occasionally ponder what we might buy when we go from 3 cars to two or one (the difference would be the MX-5 which is not an everyday car) and a sporty Golf appeals. I suppose if I still have the MX-5, I will compromise on the transmission of the shared daily.

>> On this one in Eco mode the gearbox coasts on a downhill if you take
>> your foot off of the accelerator,

We had a very low tech version of that on a Saab 96 I bought for my wife in the early 80's. It was a bit heavy on fuel so it seemed like a good idea. We tried it out, and it felt a bit weird but it was OK until we got to a steep hill - the kind with "keep in low gear" signs and an escape lane full of gravel.

Clinging on to a piano falling out of a window must provide a similar sensation; brakes in the 70's weren't a patch on what they are now, and we decided free-wheeling was a very bad idea!
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Bromptonaut
>> We had a very low tech version of that on a Saab 96 I bought
>> for my wife in the early 80's. It was a bit heavy on fuel so
>> it seemed like a good idea.

Wasn't that a legacy of the Saab 95/96 originally having a two stroke engine?

>>
>> Wasn't that a legacy of the Saab 95/96 originally having a two stroke engine?

Absolutely, there being minimal lubrication for a 2 stroke on the overrun and no real point for it on the 4 stroke, it was just there. Ours had the Ford V4, ahead of the front axle. Best 2WD car I've ever driven in snow.

Four on the tree, it sold me on column changers.
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - bathtub tom
>> On this one in Eco mode the gearbox coasts on a downhill if you take
>> your foot off of the accelerator,

IIRC I first came across freewheel on a Rover P4 - frightening!
That sounds great. A car I'd probably like, most cars don't appeal to me these days as an ownership proposition.
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - legacylad
Sounds lovely.
A far cry from my Mk1 Golf Gti ( AUM 880X) with 105 horses from its 1.6 engine.
Pal of mine had a Honda Type R and for reasons unknown, after 12 months bought a Golf GTE. He now realises he should have bought a Gti like you
Happy motoring
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Runfer D'Hills
Very very nice. Enjoy !
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - PeterS
Sounds like a cracking car - i’d like a GTi again at some point. Last one was a red, ‘H’reg red 8 valve one (second hand) !! A lifetime ago. Though if it helps, the roads, in France at least, are far quieter than usual, and the weather is good... Everything seems open, and seems to be operatimg in a COVID safe manner!
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - R.P.
"I suppose if I still have the MX-5"

Mrs RP had to sell hers because of the incoming G30 - she got a very good price, no comfort to her though. G30 is a very nice car....but it ain't no MX5. :-(.

>> Mrs RP had to sell hers because of the incoming G30 - she got a
>> very good price,

Prices firmed up a bit, since first a hiatus in 2.0 availability and then some big price rises that were something to do with Mazda's average CO2 emissions being too high and them being 'fined'.

Mine (3.5 years old) is probably worth more than it was a year ago, although a new one would be twice that. No point updating - it's perfect for me, in excellent order and rust-protected for the long term.
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - Runfer D'Hills
I had an F reg 8V Gti and an H reg 16V one. Loved them both.
 Volkswagen - At last I've done it! - legacylad
Pal of mine had an H Reg Gti which he ran for almost a decade. He changed it for an A3 1.9 Tdi and regretted it the next day.
Apparently when he was selling it privately there was a queue of serious buyers as it was unknowingly underpriced.
Latest Forum Posts