Motoring Discussion > Is there a time limit on prosecutions? Legal Questions
Thread Author: Netsur Replies: 13

Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Netsur
My son was flashed speeding in a town at the other end of the country from home. He responded to the NIP and when the matter was to be handed over the magistrates court, he gave a guilty plea by post. There is no question of his guilt and as my wife/his mother is a JP, we have done everything by the book.

It is several weeks if not more since he posted the guilty plea and we still await any communication from the relevant Court. Assuming that they have received it; is there any time limit on the Court to do something about it? If they do not respond within say nine months, what does he say to the insurers at the next renewal? He has no points and has never had points on his licence.

At what point can he legitimately say that there is nothing pending?
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Duncan
>>
>> At what point can he legitimately say that there is nothing pending?
>>

At the point at which he is told that the matter has been resolved.

i.e. Conviction, dismissal, not guilty, no further action, etc.
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Fullchat
I'm presuming he is not going to be offered a course?

Information should be layed within 6 months from the commision of the offence. In other words the issue of the summons. Thereafter I believe its a 3 year limit.

www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidance/road-traffic-summary-offences
Last edited by: Fullchat on Wed 7 Oct 20 at 17:40
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - No FM2R
>>At what point can he legitimately say that there is nothing pending?

I don't believe he has to say that anything is pending, does he? I believe the need for disclosure comes it at conviction.

I would say nothing until I received a notice of prosecution and penalty. After all, you wouldn't disclose getting stoppe4d by a copper and cautioned for speeding, would you?

As for when it has actually gone away, I'd expect Fullchat to be correct.

Some years ago I had the same. In brief, caught speeding by camera, receive request for details, receive second demand for details, submit details and admission. never heard another word. I never did find out why.
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Zero
>> >>At what point can he legitimately say that there is nothing pending?
>>
>> I don't believe he has to say that anything is pending, does he? I believe
>> the need for disclosure comes it at conviction.

Ooo Some insurance companies specifically ask if you are pending prosecution.

You would only know if you had been told so. A summons, typically. In this case he has not been told so. He's waiting to see.
>>
>> You would only know if you had been told so. A summons, typically. In this
>> case he has not been told so. He's waiting to see.

As far as the insurance company goes he does know. He was in receipt of a notice of intended prosecution.
>>
>> You would only know if you had been told so. A summons, typically. In this
>> case he has not been told so. He's waiting to see.

As far as the insurance company goes he does know. He was in receipt of a notice of intended prosecution. Either way its material.
missed the edit - I'm talking about that period where you have a NiP and are renewing or changing insurance.
Ah, I thought he'd just had the request for details, not the NIP. My mistake.
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>>
>> Some years ago I had the same. In brief, caught speeding by camera, receive request
>> for details, receive second demand for details, submit details and admission. never heard another word.
>> I never did find out why.
>>

A mate was a traffic cop in the Met before he retired. One month they had a blitz on speeding and got so many they were overwhelmed. The chief inspector tipped them into two equally sized piles, picked up one of them and fed them through the shredder.
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Bromptonaut
>> A mate was a traffic cop in the Met before he retired. One month they
>> had a blitz on speeding and got so many they were overwhelmed. The chief inspector
>> tipped them into two equally sized piles, picked up one of them and fed them
>> through the shredder.

When parking was enforced by the Met's Traffic Wardens there was a similar lottery with Parking Penalties. Left my then Pug 104 outside the bays at the flat the now Mrs B shared and got a ticket. Never heard anything more. That inefficiency was one reason that parking got devolved to the Boroughs.

In case of Netsur's son most likely thing is a Covid related jam up in the courts. Has he tried phoning or e-mailing to see what goes?

In terms of insurance he just needs to lay out facts that he was flashed, summoned and has pleaded guilty and is waiting to find out his 'reward'. Update them when the notice of point/fine arrive.

Just a though but, IIRC, the Netsur household have moved recently. Has he advised the court of his new address?
 Is there a time limit on prosecutions? - Duncan
>> Has he tried phoning or e-mailing to see what goes?

I would let sleeping dogs lie.

>> >> Has he tried phoning or e-mailing to see what goes?
>>
>> I would let sleeping dogs lie.

Yup. deffo.
Latest Forum Posts