Motoring Discussion > Memory Seats Legal Questions
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 18

Memory Seats - No FM2R
Amongst others we have a Nissan Murano. It's a perfectly good car but I don't like it so I don't drive it very often. Consequently I never know where my key is and thus grab the first one I see, usually my wife's.

Of course that means all the adjustments in the car are set to her and she is around a foot shorter than me.

Consequently on the rare occasions I get in it to move it or something I get compressed into the dashboard. And it's really hard. It doesn't relent. There doesn't seem to be any safety like there is on electric windows for example, and it genuinely hurts if I don't get my hand to the adjusters and override it quickly enough.

The moment one touches the adjusters then the automatic movement ceases instantly. But wouldn't you expect it to cut out when meeting resistance?

It genuinely hurts. And I know I'm a wuss, but even so.......
 Memory Seats - PeterS
There’s certainly some power in electric seat motors! Still, I presume they have to be specc’ed so that they can shift the seat no matter how ‘large’ the occupant... Perhaps that’s part of the problem...how would a sensor differentiate between something be trapped and a very heavy person? You’d have thought that there would be a way though...
 Memory Seats - sooty123
Since you can't change the way the seat works, you need to change how you go about things. That is if it bothers you enough.
 Memory Seats - Runfer D'Hills
It is more or less a capital offence in our house not to replace bunches of keys on the key rack in the kitchen cupboard when they are not being used.
;-)
 Memory Seats - Duncan
It is actually an offence worthy of La Madame Guillotine in this household, if you take my keys.

We have our own bunches of keys - except for stuff like side gates, porter's lodges etc. I also believe in having all (well, almost all) my keys on one bunch.

Therefore I can't go out to drive my car and find that I have locked myself out of my principal residence.
 Memory Seats - No FM2R
>>We have our own bunches of keys

The keys on my keyring are just my key to the gate and the key to my Explorer. Who wants a hulking set of keys in the pocket?

However on the drive right now, as well as my Explorer, are a Dodge Ram, a Landcruiser, a ratty old Nissan pickup and said Murano. I am not carrying keys for that lot the whole time. Though of course there are two sets of keys for each of them and I could.

My wife carries the Murano keys, a gate key and a gazillion other things on her key ring of no use whatsoever that I can fathom.

She leaves her keys by the door, where I can grab them on the rare occasions I need to move the Murano.

All the 'uncarried' keys live in a bowl by the side door. There's no confusing the different keys and then anybody can grab them if they need one of the cars.

However, all that to one side, my point is that wouldn't you expect electric seats, especially memory seats which can move without a hand on the button, to have some kind of safety mechanism?

For example, I can remember when the girls were young the odd time when one of them wanted to sit in the drivers seat and so I've got in the car with them on my lap. That would be a very bad time for the front seat and steering wheel to decide to crush us into something the size of my wife.
 Memory Seats - R.P.
not to replace bunches of keys on the key rack in the kitchen cupboard when they are not being used.
;-)

Same here, saying that spent many a happy hour looking for keys and finding some other things that were missing.
 Memory Seats - Runfer D'Hills
Yes we are pretty good with keys. Spectacles however... :-(
 Memory Seats - No FM2R
>> Since you can't change the way the seat works, you need to change how you
>> go about things. That is if it bothers you enough.

Well, it doesn't bother me exactly but it does seem like an oversight. With the Murano when one unlocks, with whichever key, it lift the steering wheel up and pulls the seat back.

When one turns the ignition on it then drops the wheel and moves the seat, mirrors etc. to the set position for the key one used.

I am not particularly familiar with the car and the seat controls are not in the same configuration as on my car and the few seconds it takes for me to get my hand to them is enough to make life uncomfortable and even more so if one is a little slow.

For my own ongoing convenience I have worked out that if, after it is unlocked, on presses any of the seat adjusters before you get in, then the memory seats don't move themselves for that time.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 11 Oct 20 at 15:44
 Memory Seats - sherlock47
>>>I also believe in having all (well, almost all) my keys on one bunch.

Therefore I can't go out to drive my car and find that I have locked myself out of my principal residence.<<<

Snap - but I also have keys for 3 cars, a secondary residence and fathers flat on the same ring.

I am paranoid about mislaying or losing keys - in my rare visits to a beach I usually attach an additional length of rope to my existing lanyard! Wonder why my pockets wear out?

Memory Seats - No FM2R
>>Snap - but I also have keys for 3 cars, a secondary residence and fathers flat on the same ring.

Each to their own, but that'd drive me nuts. Isn't it all swaying and banging around when in the car's ignition?

I prefer the logic of not being able to lose keys I'm not carrying.
 Memory Seats - Bromptonaut
Keys for both cars and the house on one keyring. Plip for my Skoda but just a simple key for the Berlingo.

Cannot end up locked out and I'm automatically equipped for the occasions where we need to swap cars on the hoof. We had a routine for a while 98/99 where I'd go into London at sparrow fa*t as usual. She went in much later, mid afternoon for Master's lectures. If as usual the station car park was full she'd block my 205 in with the BX and I'd return to base in that.

Similar set up last month where she dropped the 'lingo off for MoT at garage in town and went off to London. Several hours later I left the Skoda at the station - car park deserted post Covid- picked up the 'lingo and it's new ticket whilst she could return at her leisure.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Sun 11 Oct 20 at 18:25
 Memory Seats - Robin O'Reliant
I can't stand having anything but the car key on it's own keyring.
 Memory Seats - Bobby
I don’t have an ignition in my car for a key so the key stays in my trouser pocket.
No way I would want any more keys than necessary.
House keys are separate and usually thrown into the wee tray next to the gear lever.
 Memory Seats - smokie
"the wee tray next to the gear lever."

Is this in the Beemer Bobby? What will they think of next?
 Memory Seats - PeterS
>> "the wee tray next to the gear lever."
>>
>> Is this in the Beemer Bobby? What will they think of next?
>>

Maybe a slot somewhere, you could put the key in? Somewhere near the steering column perhaps ;)
 Memory Seats - smokie
I was thinking more along the lines of cat litter which just shows where my mind works best :-)
 Memory Seats - PeterS
>> I can't stand having anything but the car key on it's own keyring.
>>

In my case each car key also has a front door key as well; that’s all that’s needed if going by car. The back door, shed and gate keys are on a separate key ring...there’s never any need for them be taken with me anywhere. When working I had an office and desk key with my swipe tag together, amd they’d be left in my work rucksack thing. And there’s a separate front door key for if I go out by train, taxi or for a walk. The cleaner has a key as well.

Worked well; in 48 years I never lost any keys, or locked myself out of anywhere. Until the week Andy died, when I left the house, slammed the door and went up to the car. Then wondered why the door didn’t open when I pulled the handle... It soon dawned on me that I’d left the keys on the hall table... Which was when I also discovered that with very little local knowledge it was very easy to break into my own house (not that we’ve ever been burgled). So now, as well as some minor security enhancements (aka shutting windows when going out...), I also have spare house key in each car. The cars can be unlocked by their respective apps. The chances of leaving both keys and phone on the house is low, but even if I do then it’s not an insurmountable problem to install the app on any phone, login and unlock the car. I really should get a smart lock for the house, but the ones I saw when I looked were both unsightly and expensive.

Going back to the initial issue, AFAIK the memory seats in my car don’t automatically adjust to the key anyway...I think you have to actively press a button. Might be worth seeing if that action can be activated/deactivated either by software or via the cars controls screen thing?
 Memory Seats - No FM2R
On Dora you have to press a button but on the Murano it happens when one presses the ignition button.

It's a good thought though, I'll check.
Latest Forum Posts