Motoring Discussion > My Explorer (Dora) Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 31

My Explorer (Dora) - No FM2R
1) Despite having owned it for almost a year today I washed it for the first time. Actually washed it, not just pointed a hose at it. Shampoo and everything.

2) Turns out it's not black, it's dark green.

Who knew?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 01:25
 My Explorer (Dora) - legacylad
At school in my early teens, my then gf was a Stackridge fan. One of their songs was ‘Dora the female explorer ‘.
She thought it was hip to listen to Stackridge rather than the mainstream music of the era. She was called Nancy. Fancy Nancy as I called her.
 My Explorer (Dora) - Crankcase
On car colours, mother in law is the most car unconscious person ever. Over the years where we have changed cars, she won't notice at all that it's a new car. Sometimes after being in it a dozen times she'll ask if something is different about the seat or something. Yes, it's a different car!

Anyway, as she could never find our car in a carpark, we once had a new silver one. We trained her to look for that. To this day, multiple cars and colours later she will still head for the nearest silver car of any make.

She still has a car herself and drives a little, but has never known what sort it is or anything about it at all. Her local tiny village garage still does the refuelling for her even.

Yes, she has multiple redeeming qualities, and yes, we love her to bits. Bless her.
 My Explorer (Dora) - martin aston
Years ago I hired a car at Edinburgh Airport, arriving pretty late at night. The hotel car park was full so I parked a bit away on the street. Next morning I went back to where I thought I had parked it but it was nowhere to be seen. It would be hard to miss as I knew it was an orange yellow colour.

I spent several minutes searching before the penny dropped. It was a white car and it was the street lights that were orange.........doh!
 My Explorer (Dora) - Bromptonaut
>> I spent several minutes searching before the penny dropped. It was a white car and
>> it was the street lights that were orange.........doh!

We had a similar experience with my Dad's then new Ford Granada c1973, in that case the car was red but looked cream/fawn under sodium light.

Dad was a colour chemist so the penny dropped pretty quickly.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 10:18
 My Explorer (Dora) - neiltoo
I left my car at Manchester Airport one february.

Arrived back in the early morning to a heavy frost, and a main carpark full of frost covered white cars.

I can never remember where I park, so we spent quite a time using the fob to make the lights flash.

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 10:21
 My Explorer (Dora) - Runfer D'Hills
>> I left my car at Manchester Airport one february.
>> Arrived back in the early morning to a heavy frost, and a main carpark full
>> of frost covered white cars.

Had a similar thing at Gatwick years ago. At that time the nature of my job was such that I was flying somewhere most weeks. Mostly from LHR or LGW. On this occasion, not only was the car park at Gatwick full of frozen over cars, making it difficult to find mine, but in the end, having failed to find it, I discovered/remembered that I'd flown home on an unused Gatwick ticket having flown out a couple of days before from Heathrow.

Yeah, I know, I do know...

:-(
>>my then gf was a Stackridge fan. One of their songs was 'Dora the female explorer '

Nothing so flash. Dora the Explorer was one of my children's favourite shows when they were little. Mostly because Dora was Latina & bi-lingual, I think, since that rang a bell with them. "Exploradora" is Spanish for a female explorer so they liked that image as well.

There's many little sayings from the show which became part of our joking and conversation for many years. Happy days.

Inevitable then that when I one day bought a Ford Explorer one of the girls would put a Dora sticker on the back of it.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 14:47
>> There's many little sayings from the show which became part of our joking and conversation
>> for many years. Happy days.

Not from Dora but we've got a lot of those too. Some are from TV/films, some from real life. One of the latter is the words 'that's quite funny actually' delivered in a broad Mancunian accent.

Well over 10 years ago we were staying at Borrowdale (Longthwaite) YHA. Leaving to get the Borrowdale Bus we were passed by the laundry van which had picked up a load. As it went over the narrow hump back bridge on the drive the doors burst open and two or three bags fell out. Doors closed again and van sped off.

Miss B and I dragged the bags back and explained to one of the staff who uttered the words above.

My Explorer (Dora) - tyrednemotional
>>
>> 2) Turns out it's not black, it's dark green.
>>
>> Who knew?
>>

...you need to use a power washer; moss is quite tenacious....
I had a an odd/funny/mildly disturbing incident the other week at a motorway service area. I had stopped to use the facilities and returned to my car. I was just checking emails etc before setting off when a lady got into my passenger seat. I'm not sure who was more shocked really as she demanded to know why I was there.

I have a silver Mercedes estate, and she was the passenger in a nearby silver Volvo estate. Her husband, who had got into the correct car, was equally confused as to why she was now sitting in someone else's car, apparently ready to leave him behind at Southwaite services.

For a few moments it was all very odd.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 09:57
 My Explorer (Dora) - bathtub tom
>>2) Turns out it's not black, it's dark green.

I once agreed to buy a car and on getting home, wife and kids wanted to know what colour it was. I honestly didn't know. Had to drive past it to find out.

>>a lady got into my passenger seat.

SWMBO was picking me up and as I walked to the agreed rendezvous, I saw her in a queue of traffic. I jumped in the passenger door. She always makes sure the car is now locked when she's driving it!
 My Explorer (Dora) - zippy
>>For a few moments it was all very odd.
>>

At the local supermarket with Mrs Z, a little toddler runs up to me and throws her arms round me!

“Daddy!” She exclaims. Mrs Z looks (glares) at me! I have no words but was rather relived when the kids mother comes running over apologetically and explains that I have a passing resemblance to her husband.

Thing is it happens every once in a while. I’ll be standing there in the store trying not to look bored out of my mind whist Mrs Z decides what brand of soap to buy (for crying out loud it’s soap just buy one) and I get a hand hold mine. It’s usually a toddler escaped from a stressed parent. I’ve been told I look “fatherly”!

It’s even happened in cafes. Just sitting there and a kid will come along and climb on a chair and sit opposite me. Moments later a mum will be along apologising.
Last edited by: zippy on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 13:06
>>when a lady got into my passenger seat

The previously mentioned and disliked Nissan Murano has totally blacked out windows. I used to do the school run in it sometimes, before the apocalypse, it was a reasonably common occurrence for someone to either get in the passenger seat or become extremely annoyed that they couldn't because it was locked.

Lowering the window and seeing the realisation & embarrassment used to amuse me. It doesn't take much.
 My Explorer (Dora) - James Loveless
The very fanciable statuesque blonde next door drives a Volvo SUV (with personalised number-plate - but that's another story).

I looked at it one day in bright sunlight after it had been washed and realised that it wasn't black but a very dark, slightly metallic navy.

I don't think there's anything wrong with my colour vision and my reaction was - why? Why go to the trouble of creating a colour that (probably) most people won't recognise, when it would be simpler and cheaper just to paint the damn car black?
Last edited by: James Loveless on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 12:36
 My Explorer (Dora) - R.P.
My 2009 328 was Tasman Green. Great colour, but even a VW dealer i was considering part exing it at swore it was grey. It was b***** green, green I tell you ! :-)
So's Zero's. Well, beigey green anyway...
;-)
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 16:31
When times wuz 'ard, or we thought they were, I bought a Platinum Silver ( beige ) Mondeo estate. Never liked the colour, but the car was excellent, and it was a good £1500 less to buy mildly second hand at the time than a more popular colour.
 My Explorer (Dora) - PeterS
I’ve had a couple of BMWs that have caused confusion colour-wise. First was an E61 525d in carbon black. Almost everyone thought it was blue, and indeed in bright sunlight it did have a definite blue tinge to it. Then an F10 520d in Sophisto Grey. Which was so dark that everyone thought it was black, including the BMW dealer themselves. That Tasman green is/was a gorgeous colour IMO
They used to do E Class estates in a sort of metallic swamp/mud colour. ( Around 2010/12 maybe? ) Anyway, I always rather liked them.
Oh yeah, and...I had a Capri 3.0S in metallic brown with gold wheels and gold side stripes as my company car back in the day. Jack The Flipping Lad or wot eh?
;-)))
My Xantia was Storm Grey and varied from black to blue/green depending on the light.
 My Explorer (Dora) - zippy
Dad had a grey Corolla that looked distinctly pink under certain lights.

I think he got it to stop us borrowing it!
This colour?
www.germancarsale.com/2018/05/07/2008-mercedes-benz-e-class-browntan/

Would save you cleaning it, for sure... ;)
Here's the 328...Grey or Green ?
ibb.co/5jp9QZq
Goodness that was lovely car.
 My Explorer (Dora) - legacylad
Was that the proper 328 with the sublime straight six ( like my 2004 330) or the ‘new’ 328 4 cylinder ?
Proper one. A real iron fist in a velvet glove.....
>> Here's the 328...Grey or Green ?
>> ibb.co/5jp9QZq
>>

That’s definitely a greeny-grey :)
Another colour that changes a lot depending on the light I guess?
Does look quite grey, in a greenish sort of a way. :-)

Some people are superstitious about green cars I believe. They say that you are more likely to have an accident in a green car. Probably nonsense I guess, but I suppose you could reasonably argue that any colour that happens to blend into the background/environment it happens to be against/in, might just be less visible at a critical moment. Grey cars on grey roads, green cars in the countryside maybe do take more seeing. Dunno.

>> This colour?

No, this one Peter...

tinyurl.com/y5dv9zl7

I also like that dark red you have.
Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Tue 13 Oct 20 at 19:47
Don’t think I’ve seen one that colour...that’s brown, definitely brown... Mine looks dark brown in some lights, usually a sort of auberginey colour but, in bright light, can also be a lovely red colour too. Ordered without seeing one in the metal, but I’m very happy with the choice. Looked fantastic in the Tuscan sun I have to say... Less so on a wet October day in the U.K. ;)
Latest Forum Posts