Motoring Discussion > Harry’s Garage Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 19

Harry’s Garage - legacylad
I recently discovered this chap on YouTube. Lots of car reviews, interesting topics etc etc..

I’ve been decluttering my life, getting rid of furniture, clearing the garage, and recently sold 9 sq metres of unused Brazilian slate flooring for a home project which didn’t materialise.
The chap I sold it to turned up in a new Range Rover p400e ? Hybrid which was impressive...and Harry had recently done a 30 minute review of one which I found very interesting.

If I won large on the P Bonds next month I could be tempted !
 Harry’s Garage - Duncan
>> Range Rover p400e ............
>> If I won large on the P Bonds next month I could be tempted !
>>

Would there be enough money left over to pay for the repairs?
Ha.
My comment about buying one was very TIC. Now JLR is one brand whose reliability would probably make me run a mile, but in the real world you’d lease a new one for 3 years then hand it back once out of warranty.
If you could afford the potential hassle of it being off the road a lot in those 3 years.
The ongoing woes with with my pals new Disco Sport, and a friends daughter with a similar new vehicle, make me very aware of their unreliability.
 Harry’s Garage - Duncan
I suppose, in the real world, the only way to make it work would be to have a legally binding agreement that the dealer would supply a similar vehicle whenever your car was off the road for servicing, or repairs.

Still get on your nerves though - wouldn't it?

How do your friend and your friend's daughter cope? (Sounds like one of those "it's not for me, I am asking for a friend" things!)
My friends retired, so isn’t as much hassle as if you were working full time. I remember him picking up his new Disco Sport from the main dealer one mile from my home, he called round and we went for a spin in the Dales. The screen unit, for want of a better expression, ceased working within 30 minutes. It’s been replaced 3 times.
Lots of other issues. I wouldn’t have been so patient. Recently, just out of warranty, the touch button tail gate struts failed. Cost him an arm and a leg.
His other half runs a Sportage. Waaaay more reliable.
 Harry’s Garage - Falkirk Bairn
I have 3 sons who have bought JLR cars in the last 3 years

Discovery Petrol 3 litre - lots of electrical issues - sold after 12 months - sold replaced by X5

Discovery Diesel - lots of electrical niggles, waiting on parts, engine repair needed at about 15 months - sold 18 months replaced by RS4

Epace - has been perfect and now 8 months old - the reason? It's hardly run in as lockdown was announced a few weeks after it was bought
 Harry’s Garage - Lygonos
Colleague had an F-Type (3 litre s/c I think) - significant engine disaster and subsequent hassle getting rid of it.

They were better back in the BL days....
 Harry’s Garage - Bobby
I love watching Harry’s videos. He obviously has money from his Evo days and his farm, so has a fantastic garage collection, but his videos are very down to Earth, pros and cons, running costs etc.
He got rid of his Zonda partly due to the astronomical running costs. The recent video with him and Hammond discussing the Ferrari they both had was good.
 Harry’s Garage - cosec
Not sure if you watched Harry’s review of the BMW X5 45e but he ran that straight after the Range Rover Sport 400e. He felt the BMW was a much better car which was fortunate as I had just ordered one as a company car. Do t get it until Apr though as the wait list is very long.
 Harry’s Garage - Bobby
I see BMW has a recall on electric vehicles due to a fire risk....
 Harry’s Garage - cosec
>> I see BMW has a recall on electric vehicles due to a fire risk....

Oh marvellous!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Oct 20 at 10:45
 Harry’s Garage - hjd
Same as the new Ford Kuga PHEV, which seems to have gone under the radar.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 16 Oct 20 at 10:45
 Harry’s Garage - zippy
>>Ford and BMW fire recall.

I wonder if they are they using kit from the same subcontract manufacturer?
 Harry’s Garage - Bobby
They are!
 Harry’s Garage - devonite
local woman asking on f/b last week - wanting recommendations for a garage to do some minor bodywork repairs, no garages local would touch it apparently 'cause it was electric, nearest suggested was about 25mls away!
 Harry’s Garage - Bobby
Why wouldn’t they deal with bodywork issues?
What’s the difference from their perspective?
 Harry’s Garage - No FM2R
>> Why wouldn’t they deal with bodywork issues?
>> What’s the difference from their perspective?

I don't know, but I'd guess that as they usually disconnect a car's battery before working on the vehicle to avoid issues - including damage to the battery - they are concerned that is somewhat more problematic to achieve on an electric vehicle.
 Harry’s Garage - Zero
If there is any welding to be done, its a complete minefield. If there is damage is anywhere near the battery pack they wont touch that either, couple of repair shops burned down when the packs went thermonuclear due to mechanical stress.

Harry’s Garage - sooty123
>> If there is any welding to be done, its a complete minefield. If there is
>> damage is anywhere near the battery pack they wont touch that either, couple of repair
>> shops burned down when the packs went thermonuclear due to mechanical stress.

Where was this ?
 Harry’s Garage - Shiny
I worked at a College which included an automtotive engineering department and within that an electric vehicle department. The garage setup for safely dealing with electric cars was very different. Yellow portable danger signs about voltage all around the car which should be cordoned off as if, big gauntlet gloves and defibrilator and that sort of thing.
Latest Forum Posts