Motoring Discussion > Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 14

Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - R.P.
Walked down to the village this morning, very little traffic on the roads, even less on our lane....what did come to meet us was a lovely 205 GTi 1.6. Unmodified (it appeared)...what a rare and lovely site on a crap morning. Our removal guy turned up in one of the new Defenders later on, know which one I'd prefer ! Massive thing. He seemed a little cheesed off that it was covered in muck from the lane.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - legacylad
Had one ! B211 UCP in silver. Flip up sunroof fitted aftermarket if memory serves me correctly, and bought via one of the early car brokers called ‘Motorvation’.
Sold after 18 months as the throttle died on occasion when overtaking. The dealer never resolved the problem. Handled like a go kart. All of 105 horses I think. Fabulous for it’s time.

Many thanks for reminding me.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - Bobby
Watched an auction at the weekend there of a 1.9 engine one.
Sold for £15k

collectingcars.com/for-sale/1988-peugeot-205-gti-19
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - Lygonos
Saw an article recently suggesting Peugeot were doing up a bunch of these with intent to sell them on, and were making available parts for owners to do likewise.

My mate had a 1.6 205 GTi , and my Suzuki Swift Sport (1.6 n/a job) was better in every way dynamically.

*edit* - other than steering feel, of which the Swift had little with it's electric PAS.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 27 Oct 20 at 17:27
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - Bromptonaut
I had the 1.8 2 door diesel (GLD?) version as a station car from 97 to 2000.

Wouldn't win a traffic light GP start but if you kept the revs in the 2-3k torque band it was pretty rapid through the lanes from here to the M40. Cornered like it was on rails.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - Zero
My mother had a brand new 1.6 205 auto, turned out to have the 1.6gti engine in it but no other GTi bits, looked bog standard. What a Q car that was back in the in the day!
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - legacylad
Hardly surprising. I owned a second hand Mk1 Golf Gti. AUM 880X.
At the time I thought it was the dogs danglies. These days almost any new Fiesta would wup it for handling, especially braking. Best not return to those days of egg boxes.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - PeterS
I had a red ‘C’ reg 1.6 GTi (with alloys from a 1.9...) way back when. Fantastic little thing, but best not revisited I reckon!
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - No FM2R
Fun though it was at the time, by today's standards the 205 GTi 1.6 is an utter p.o.s. Actually I hated it at the time as well. Rattly, cramped bone-shaker that it was.

>>Our removal guy turned up in one of the new Defenders later on, know which one I'd prefer

The Defender. In a moment.
>> Fun though it was at the time, by today's standards the 205 GTi 1.6 is
>> an utter p.o.s. Actually I hated it at the time as well. Rattly, cramped bone-shaker
>> that it was.
>>
>> >>Our removal guy turned up in one of the new Defenders later on, know which
>> one I'd prefer
>>
>> The Defender. In a moment.

Not the new one, not for a year or two anyway, they have severe software issues.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - No FM2R
It could have three wheels, I'd still prefer it to a 205.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - tyrednemotional
>>
>> Not the new one, not for a year or two anyway, they have severe software
>> issues.
>>

...that's Windows Defender, not Land-Rover Defender.....

;-)
For the first time ever, there is a defender with more code issues than the Microsoft one.

I dont think there is a problem with windows in the defender tho.
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - Duncan
>> Not the new one, not for a year or two anyway, they have severe software
>> issues.

Issues, full stop.

Nice little video here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tlCaBBsoD8
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 28 Oct 20 at 11:08
 Peugeot 205 - GTI 1.6 - Boxsterboy
My first company car was a 205XS - E46FLK. 1.4 engine - an "85% GTI". It handled so sweetly and I have great memories of it.
Latest Forum Posts