Motoring Discussion > Want. Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 40

Want. - No FM2R
electrek.co/2020/10/28/fiat-chrysler-ram-electric-pickup-truck/
 Want. - R.P.
www.caranddriver.com/rivian/r1t

Check these out. Prototypes of these were used by Euan McGregor and Charley's back up team on the Long Way Up series.
 Want. - Kevin
The pre-production Ram electric pickup is here -

tinyurl.com/ram-elec
 Want. - sherlock47
I fancy a Tank Turn on the M25!
 Want. - sooty123
A quick look around the rivian pick up and suv, can't say i've heard of them much.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMfxJEfb4lw

Some nice touches, I liked the tunnel behind the rear seats.
 Want. - No FM2R
0 - 60 in 3 seconds!!! FFS!
 Want. - No FM2R
techcrunch.com/2020/07/24/rivian-to-begin-deliveries-of-electric-pickup-truck-in-june-2021/
 Want. - sooty123
>> techcrunch.com/2020/07/24/rivian-to-begin-deliveries-of-electric-pickup-truck-in-june-2021/
>>

I can imagine with Amazon taking a chunk of the business/investing lots it could become a big player in the American market especially the electric delivery van.

Doesn't seem to be too many here, I think I heard the transit was having an electric version but that's not been too much since the ev200 Nissan brought out years ago.
 Want. - No FM2R
In the medium term internal combustion engined vehicles stand no chance whatsoever.
 Want. - Lygonos
Performance ICE: bigger block/pistons/valves, higher compression, turbo/supercharger, trick valvetrain, expensive exhaust, complex gearbox/differentials, etc

Performance EV: thicker wires.
 Want. - henry k
It is a little concern what happens when the local builders trade their tax avoidance twin cabs in for a Rivian and are hooning around with a load of bricks in the back :-(
 Want. - legacylad
Parked outside a property on my urbanisation where I’m currently renting is a new looking Merc G Wagen. The magic numbers C63 on the back. Another name on the rear nearside I haven’t recognised yet. Ugly looking thing that probably goes quite well. Probably expensive too..on Spanish plates.
 Want. - PeterS
The Mercedes AMG G63 is as near as damn it a £150k car in the U.K, though even the MB G350d (or maybe it’s a 400d now...not sure) is knocking on £100k. Perhaps the other badge is ‘Brabus’? They’re an MB tuner I think, though wasn’t aware they did anything with the x63 models. 585bhp as standard would seem ample to me, though I’m not in the market nor am I likely to be, so my view isn’t particularly relevant!
 Want. - Lygonos
Doug DeMuro seems unable to make his mind up....

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=doug+demuro+g+wagon

Looks like a pretty big update in 2019 (thought it looks the same)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Thu 29 Oct 20 at 17:41
 Want. - R.P.
A fat driver of a Ford Explorer nearly got pelted with bbe 3/23 Italian branded baked beans tins today by a superannuated Volvo driver with 13 trays of the aforementioned canned Fabaceae after parking in his (illegal) spot...
 Want. - Runfer D'Hills
13 trays of tinned baked beans?

Some kind of self-sufficient natural gas production experiment?
 Want. - tyrednemotional
......Going for the world baked-bean eating record.....

....but got disallowed because of a following wind.

;-)
 Want. - bathtub tom
I used to work with a guy who'd pack numerous tins of baked beans for his (self catering) UK holidays. Guess he thought you couldn't buy them anywhere else.
On a Spanish self catering holiday, fellow renters had a cool bag full of corned beef. Couldn't do without it apparently.
 Want. - No FM2R
I once had several hundred thousand dollars of computer equipment impounded by Brazilian customs because the American Field Service Installation engineers hid a fair ton of snacks in the boxes to get them through the 5 day installation process.
 Want. - R.P.
There were considerable numbers of 2024 tins of Corned Beef involved today as well.
 Want. - Zero
Dunno what it is about corned beef, have no idea what other cultures east the stuff, and I'm sure its only a food stuff that appeals to a certain UK age range, but I love the stuff.

Corned beef and pickle sarnie, slices of it with a a salad, with chips, a hash.

Has to be tinned tho. Preferably Frey Bentos.
 Want. - Lygonos
Corned beef added to stovies (made with link sausages, not Lorne obvs) is great, and as a child of the 70s I find it an entirely acceptable sandwich filling.

Recently been addicted to sauerkraut - make some vegetarian Reubens (since the rest of the family are either vege or pescetarian, so pastrami is out) by frying some slices of starting-to-go-stale rye bread (usually get reduced price in-house Tesco stuff for about a quid) in olive oil and heaping it with a mix of sauerkraut and extra mature cheddar heated through in the same pan.

Few thinly sliced pickles and a sprinkle of smoked paprika - fantastic!
 Want. - riddler
May I suggest you visit your local Polish Shop - Polski Sklep where you can get proper rye bread and sauerkraut together with sour cucumbers preserved in brine - ogorki kiszone. You will find it much better than what you get in Tesco etc.
 Want. - Dog
Proper kefir too.
 Want. - tyrednemotional
...things are getting bad if the Welsh supermarkets have roped-off as non-essential everything but tomatoes and corned beef......

;-)
 Want. - Zero
>> I once had several hundred thousand dollars of computer equipment impounded by Brazilian customs because
>> the American Field Service Installation engineers hid a fair ton of snacks in the boxes
>> to get them through the 5 day installation process.

I bet that wasn't mitigated for in the project plan.
 Want. - Bobby
When kids were we, we drive to South of France with two other families in a convoy of Scenics. Unfortunately one of the other families got side swiped on the Autoroute which left them somersaulting across the carriageway into the verge at the hard shoulder.

Also unfortunately, this was a family who liked their home comforts on holiday. You know how the Scenic had those handy floor hatches for storage? Great for filling with tins of corned beef and beans, Cans of Irn Bru etc.

But when the car is somersaulting they become lethal weapons....
 Want. - Zero

>> Also unfortunately, this was a family who liked their home comforts on holiday.

Makes you winder why people like that choose "abroad" for a holiday. If you need your watneys red barrel Margit would have done. Ramsgit if you wanted it a bit posher.
 Want. - CGNorwich
Bognor Regis for us.
 Want. - Duncan
>> Bognor Regis for us.
>>

Well, after Norfolk, Bognor must seem like Heaven!

Do you find yourself counting the fingers on the local's hands? "Look, he has only got five fingers on each hand? There's another one! They've all only got five digits! How strange!"
 Want. - bathtub tom
>> Makes you winder why people like that choose "abroad" for a holiday. If you need
>> your watneys red barrel Margit would have done. Ramsgit if you wanted it a bit
>> posher.

I've been to the mechanical elephant in Margit and sailed a boat into Ramsgit harbour to stay for the night. I prefer the 'spoons in Margit, although it's a close run thing.
 Want. - legacylad
PeterS...I pulled up behind the Merc tonight on the way home. It’s a few properties away on the urbanisation.
Nearside rear says AMG with a symbol to the left of the A. Front offside says Bi turbo V8.
It’s real ugly. I think I prefer my more shapely new model five door 208.
More manageable on narrow mountain roads....
 Want. - PeterS
Well it sounds like a proper G63, but not sure what would be next to the AMG badge? The best part of 600 bhp though, and supposedly pretty good off road!
 Want. - Bobby
If I was spending £300k on cars it wouldn’t include this!!

www.mayfairprestigeuk.co.uk/used-cars/mercedes-benz-g-class-4-0-g63-v8-biturbo-amg-spds9gt-4wd-ss-5dr-marylebone-202009304402221?at_source=autotrader&at_medium=mobile-web&at_campaign=website-visit
 Want. - Lygonos
For only £150,000 you could get this equally munterish 10 year old turdstack:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-E63-AMG-6-2-7G-Tronic-AMG-W212-V12/202918800751?hash=item2f3ee72d6f:g:3s8AAOSwSXFdlyqd
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 2 Nov 20 at 01:11
 Want. - Manatee
>>For only £150,000 you could get this equally munterish 10 year old turdstack:

That is utterly hideous. Nothing will convince me that those spats on the back wheels aren't home made.

Bobby's G-Wagen isn't much better.

On the subject of self-indulgent cars and totally unnecessary cars, my car collecting pal rang me on Friday night to say he'd bought a new toy. He wouldn't tell me what it was.

It turned out to be a 17 year old, 2 owner, 100,000 mile Bentley Arnage R. He once had a 1990's Continental R that he regrets selling and I suspect that made him weaken.

The Arnage when launched had a BMW 4.4 litre twin turbo V8 with 350bhp but after VW bought Rolls Royce (minus, as it turned out, the name over which it subsequently embarked on a bitter legal wrangle) this was substituted with a developed version of the Rolls 6.75 litre V8, again with two turbos, 400BHP, and an unbelievable 835 Nm of torque. This one has the Rolls engine.

The gearbox is a 4 speed auto, but how many gears do you need with that much torque?

It's in lovely condition, almost concours clean including under the bonnet, and cost about 10% of the asking price for the Mercedes Turdenstack. Bit of a bargain I thought and cheap enough to think of buying one, not that I would ever actually part with the money.

Similar to this, same colour and interior.

www.bransonscars.com/cars/bentley/arnage/v8autor/305742/

Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 2 Nov 20 at 19:16
 Want. - Bobby
Re that Bentley advert, why would the dealer not sort out that rear registration for the photos??

Want. - Manatee
>> Re that Bentley advert, why would the dealer not sort out that rear registration for
>> the photos??

I thought the same, I just found one with the same colours. The photos are poor all round and don't do it justice, it's an imposing beast 5.4m long. Good legroom in this one although the interior is still small in relation to the overall size.

The '92 Continental R was about the same length but still managed not to have enough rear legroom for me! It's official classification in the US was apparently as a subcompact.
 Want. - No FM2R
>> For only £150,000 you could get this equally munterish 10 year old turdstack:
>>
>> www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mercedes-Benz-E63-AMG-6-2-7G-Tronic-AMG-W212-V12/202918800751?hash=item2f3ee72d6f:g:3s8AAOSwSXFdlyqd
>>

Saw that last night and looked at it on my phone. Couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

Just looked at it again on a computer. How did I miss the rear wheel arches? What in God's name do you have to be on to put those on a car?

Hideous is right.
 Want. - MD
>> It is a little concern what happens when the local builders trade their tax avoidance
>> twin cabs in for a Rivian and are hooning around with a load of bricks
>> in the back :-(
>>
I'll let yer know :-)
 Want. - No FM2R
The Rivian.

Go to 4:46 to see a tank turn.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb6c1ZnusYs
Latest Forum Posts