Motoring Discussion > Peugeot - Modern heating controls Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 32

Peugeot - Modern heating controls - legacylad
I change my rental every two weeks, a simple enough procedure on a Sunday morning.
The current 208, and previous Yaris, both have simple heater/air con controls, dials and switches. My own car back in the U.K. has a toggle switch for temp and fan speed, and push buttons for the direction of flow. Simplicity itself and so easy to regulate on the move...friends who live here have bought a Volvo and were telling me yesterday that all heating/ cooling has to be done via a touch screen and it’s a PiTA.
I think that could deter me from purchasing such a vehicle...does anyone have such a vehicle and if so does it become second nature ?
My Luddite tendencies to the fore again..
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Bromptonaut
I've had PSA models with cabin ventilation on a touch screen as courtesy cars.

I guess if a potential purchase ticked all my other boxes, the ability to pull the caravan is obviously a clincher, I'd live with it. Definitely a negative point though.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - sooty123
Wouldn't bother me, I can't say I've used one but I don't think it would be a negative. Most people are happy with using touch screens on tablets and mobiles. How often do you need to adjust the heating settings in a single journey?
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Bobby
Yip I couldn’t tell you the last time I touched the cars heating controls. Possibly some point during the summer .
Climate control is just set to 20 degrees and left on auto.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Zero
>> Yip I couldn’t tell you the last time I touched the cars heating controls. Possibly
>> some point during the summer .
>> Climate control is just set to 20 degrees and left on auto.

We are however approaching winter, the time you need to defrost the car quickly in the morning.

My Beemer stays on climate control, I might tweak the temp button up or down a notch at times in normal use. However it has two extra useful buttons. "Max Defrost" "Max Cooling". Both do exactly what they say on the tin, and you use them at the times you need them with a single finger push.

I do wish tho that BMW had changed the cabin controls round for R/H drive. All the useful buttons are on the other side.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Bobby
Working from home, I don’t envisage having to take the car out in any frosty mornings!!
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Zero
All whimps you Jocks.
>> I've had PSA models with cabin ventilation on a touch screen as courtesy cars.
>>

Did they still work?
>> Did they still work?

Yes but it involved a deal of faffing about to find the demist setting I needed on a cold October morning and again to find settings and a comfortable cabin temperature once under way. I was driving back to Northampton from Perrys in Bletchley so not just round the corner (20 miles or so).

Worse because the screen was badly finger marked.
>> Worse because the screen was badly finger marked.

I would imagine most would have a demist screen as a single button, but it's French so probably not. Although at least it was working, probably won't be for long.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 10 Nov 20 at 11:58
>> I would imagine most would have a demist screen as a single button, but it's
>> French so probably not. Although at least it was working, probably won't be for long.

It was pretty much a brand new car so everything worked.

I cannot remember the details just that getting ventilation set and Radio 4 playing was far more faff than on the Berlingo with a radio and three rotary controls for the heating etc.
>> It was pretty much a brand new car so everything worked.

For the moment.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 10 Nov 20 at 11:58
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - RichardW
We've got a MK2 C4 Picasso with touch screen. It's no bother really - just leave it in Auto. You can shortcut to the temperature controls by a touch on the bar at the top of the screen, and then they appear in big numbers and are easy to adjust. Demist is on a separate 'button' - away from the main screen, but it's just a touch sensitive location on the dash panel, no actual switch.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - R.P.
As in the V60 - the rear screen is a traditional switch (also works with voice control) as is the fron t screen, never tried that with voice control. Telling the system that you're cold increases the heat in the cabin - the controls can be linked. One of the "screens" on the touch screens displays all the soft switches for the car's various systems. It looks quite smart in that mode.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Falkirk Bairn
New Volvos have voice control of many tasks. Manual access to many functions is a series of button presses on the 8" screen which is dangerous when driving IMHO.

My Honda has voice control and buttons.
Voice control does not like my Scottish accent so I use the buttons.

Peugeot - Modern heating controls - R.P.
My V60 has touch screen and voice control - voice control is fine e.g. "set heating to 19 degrees" is sufficient, heated seats come on automatically when outside temp is below 10 degrees. The G30 has voice control, may be marginally better than the Volvo's ins everyday. BMW have changed the design of the manual set-up, their lovely tactile buttons (which operated "horizontally") and easily found "heads up" have been replaced by chromed "vertical" buttons, which aren't half as good as the the old F model or as easy to "find" heads up. The voice control is quite easy. It's the way ahead.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Bill Payer
Old folks didn't like the touch screen on the higher end mk3 Jazz as it didn't work when they had their driving gloves on. :)

I monitor a Tiguan forum as the wife has one and there's much upset that the latest Tiguan has touch screen heating controls.

I suppose how often you need to adjust things depends how good it is - Tiguan is fine in auto but my old Mercedes is hopeless as it drops the fan speed right down.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Terry
I thought I would not like touch screen controls.

I have since come to the conclusion that it really is just a set it and leave it system. It may need changing as the seasons change, but if 20C is OK today it will probably be pretty good tomorrow and next week.

Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Falkirk Bairn
When an old fashioned rotary switch / push button switch fails it might be £10 to £50 for a new one.

When the touch screen on a modern car fails ....................the touchscreen on a newish car goes on the blink you cannot just buy a 3rd party screen unit - it will be available only from the manufacturer!

When the radio/satnav on an older car goes the manufacturer replacement is megabucks. Replace with a new Sony etc is much less.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - carmalade
Radio functions seem just as precarious. I drive various models , and all I want to do is turn the radio off . Once I’ve mastered this operation, I turn ignition off , get out of the car . On re entry , turn ignition on , to find the radio has switched itself back on . Why does it need to be like this?
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - PeterS
I never feel the need to alter the climate control, so no problem at all for me. However, I hate screens covered in finger prints, so I’m not a fan of touchscreens in cars on aesthetic grounds :)
>> I never feel the need to alter the climate control, so no problem at all
>> for me. However, I hate screens covered in finger prints, so I’m not a fan
>> of touchscreens in cars on aesthetic grounds :)

Thinking back the last car I had with climate, or at least thermostatically controlled heating/cooling, was the Xantia which could be set at 18/20 and forgotten other than to demist. Except when Mrs B was in the car and insisted on turning it down...

The current Berlingo and the Fabia just have manual aircon so I've probably become adjusted to having to 'fiddle' a bit. In a courtesy car I'm also fiddling because it always takes a bit of experimentation to get heating set OK.
Voice control. I’d never heard of that controlling the heating.. Phone contacts yes. Sounds impressive. I’ll keep fiddling with my Pug 208 rental car blue to red temperature dial. And sometimes open the windows!
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Runfer D'Hills
My WiFi doesn't understand me...
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - PeterS

>> Thinking back the last car I had with climate, or at least thermostatically controlled heating/cooling,
>> was the Xantia which could be set at 18/20 and forgotten other than to demist.
>> Except when Mrs B was in the car and insisted on turning it down...
>>

Is that turn down in the way that turning up the heating will make the house warm up quicker.... ;)
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - No FM2R
My wife repeatedly takes the climate control off automatic because "it makes it too cold".

Sometimes I just cry.
>> My wife repeatedly takes the climate control off automatic because "it makes it too cold".

The exact opposite of my problem.

I'd blame 'the change' but it started before we even had kids.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - No FM2R
I've tried to explain thermostats and automatic settings. It never gets me anywhere.

Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Crankcase
Replace heating system in house with app on your own phone. Leave old controls disconnected on wall. Do not inform wife.

Everyone happy.
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Netsur
Yep. Did that a year ago. Works a treat. It took a while to fine tune each radiator in the house but now the system works with the occasional boost if I want nice warm towels after a shower.
Car rental changeover day today. The past 2 week rental they let me retain the 208, but this time on arrival at OKCars Alicante airport they wrote on the screen with white marker and off it goes to the sale rooms tomorrow. Only 12k kms on the clock.
I quite liked driving it up and down the mountains. Very underpowered, rubbish music sound but the rear camera was a bonus when doing a 9 point turn on dirt roads with vertiginous drops.

C3 now. Touch screen heater controls so we’ll see how we get on in the next two weeks. The first thing I check when collecting a rental is a spare wheel...a can of gunk up a mountain with no phone signal is worse than useless. Fortunately they found me a C3 with a spare wheel...diesel to boot. Pretty awful to drive compared to the 208...rolly poly, large plastic steering wheel, overlight steering and far, far more wind noise on the motorway. Rubbish interior plastics. I’ve got better on my toothbrush handle.

Mustn’t complain. €34 for 15 days.
Off now to tune in the radio..Bay Radio, Bikini FM, Gold FM and pair with my olde Iphone 5S. I may even check the oil and water early tomorrow after kicking the tyres ( tread depth seems fine).
 Peugeot - Modern heating controls - Runfer D'Hills
You know what'd be nice on those mountain roads if only there was a way of getting one?

A Porsche, even one of the sitty uppy girly ones would be lovely. But I guess that would be tricky to find. Especially one that cost nothing to rent eh??

;-)
I know you mean well, best intentions etc etc and I’m most grateful for that. However, after 6 weeks driving both up, and down, some of the most awful dirt roads, potholes which almost swallowed my friends Twingo ( even after the sole passenger got out) there was a fair amount of undercarriage damage. And on mainly single track unmade roads, a widish near 2 ton girly car is the very last thing I need. Especially when meeting some local inbred granjero hurtling down the hillside in his battered Peugeot Partner wondering WTF is a gringo doing up here.

Not going to happen. Ever. My French walking pal Bernard had a very lucky escape earlier this year in his Pug 2008 when forced off the road by a local farmer. Substantial damage. The farmer didn’t stop. We cautiously drove past the spot earlier this week and he visibly paled remembering it.

An old Vitara or Daihatsu FourTrak seem the perfect vehicles.
Latest Forum Posts