Motoring Discussion > Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts?
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 28

Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - BobbyG
After 3 Scenics and a Seat Altea XL, I have decided that my next car will be a "SUV" type. Like the higher seating position, like th elooks, like the versatility of having part time 4WD.

Not looking to change for another year or so and looking at whats on the market just now, I think I would be interested in a Qashqai, the Hyundai ix35 or the new Kia Sportage. They will probably all be available in decent spec in the sub £20k by next summer.

However, dealer near me is selling brand new, 60 plate Renault Koleos Dynamique S DCi 150 4x4 for £17995 instead of £24k. Now I know this is a run out model, they no longer make them etc but the review on another website is very complimentary and I think it is based on the Quashy / X Trail 4WD system etc.

I know there are many Renault bashers, I loved my 3 Scenics, I only changed to Seat as at the time of changing, the new Scenic wasn't out so I would have been replacing like for like.

The Koleos seems to have good spec with bluetooth, BOSE sound system etc. Only thing missing for me is the panormaic sunroof which I liked on my Scenic. (when it didn't creak).

Anyone any experiences of the Koleos (the what? I hear the cry)

It seems to also be chain driven but does have FAP though.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - WillDeBeest
Well, the Renault that caught my attention today was a newish Laguna making fair forward progress on a suburban main road with both reversing lamps shining brightly. They appeared to go out when the driver changed gear, but back on when he lifted the clutch. At least it was moving, I suppose.

I consider myself a Francophile but I wouldn't have a Renault if they gave them away. But eighteen thousand pounds for something that will look ugly on your drive and prompt the wrong kind of "What's that?" questions from your neighbours and friends, then leave you stranded at the side of the road in the rain as the first Koleos I noticed had done to its unfortunate keeper.

If you really want this kind of vehicle, CRVs and Qashqais seem to go on working; if you must have a Renault, the most basic Clio with as few electric gizmos as possible might be OK. But a vanity 4x4 by Renault that writes cheques for robustness it cannot possibly honour, that costs as much as a proper car and will lose you almost all of it? Why ever would you?

Case for the Renault bashers rests.
}:---)
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - spamcan61
Funnily enough I was behind a 53 plate Laguna yesterday; he was indicating right, but it was the brake light flashing. When he moved forward and braked the indicator lit up and the brake lights went out.

I was thinking to myself that was probably a simple earthing or dodgy bulb problem in the old days, now it's probably a new ECU for a few hundred notes.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Bromptonaut
Scanned the thread header and read it as Reliant Kitten!!
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Gromit
I had a 03 Scenic that used to beep at me every time I turned the key. The left half of the instrument panel used to flash in timing with the indicator when turning left.

In addition to the usual coil pack woes, and a sunroof prone to opening easily but refusing to close, its predecessor (01) had an ignition fault traced to the ECU wiring loom being eaten through by mice.

Still admire the practicality of Renault's designs, but I wouldn't have another, especially an unpopular one such as the Koleos. Your local Indy won't know much about its foibles when it gives trouble!
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - corax
>>CRVs and Qashqais seem to go on working

Although Qashqais have Renault diesels - I don't know how they fare at higher mileage, but it's supposedly a nice refined lump.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Bill Payer
People slate Renault but we had a Clio for 5 years which was faultless apart from both rear springs breaking at 4yrs - Renault replaced them FOC.

There are a few owner reviews of Koleos kicking around and I've never seen a bad one. But was thinking£12K would be a great price - not £18K! Perhaps this is a car that would be good to get on a PCP so you at least have the option to walk away at 3yrs if the price falls through the floor.

If it's a run-out model, is it being replaced? Any unique parts might be tough to get in a few years time.
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 21 Sep 10 at 22:52
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Falkirk Bairn
Renault, French Company, through cooperation with Japanese Company, Nissan, designs are 4wd car to be built by the Samsung Car plant in Korea...............may be the cooperation / sub-contracting trail just got too long.

Apart from the BMW X6 (ugliest) it might having a claim on being the 2nd ugliest car on the road.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Boxsterboy
I thought it funny how Renault justified withdrawing the Koleos, claiming adverse market conditions or somesuch, just as Kia and Hyundai bring out their Koleos bashing models.

I think it was more a failure of Renaults marketing and/or the car than market conditions that saw it sell in such poor numbers. If the Kia and Hyundai sell well (which they probably will) it really will be another nail in Renaults coffin. They seem to be down to just 2 'proper' models now - Clio and Megane/Scenic.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Dog
I quite like the Kia Sportage, especially with the paddle shift 6 speed autotbox.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - WillDeBeest
If you bought one, would they be doggy paddles?

The market is still there, of course, and there'll be much 'remember last year' stoking as winter approaches. It was a Santa Fe or Sorrento or some such that used Mrs Beest's bumper to stop when its own brakes and tyres couldn't help it, but mere facts won't stop people imagining these things are useful.
>>but mere facts won't stop people imagining these things are useful<<

Yep! winter tyres are the best bet, and the lighter the vehicle (from experience) the better.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Skoda
The new sportage looks very nice.

For my money though it'd still be the Hyundai Santa-Fe Premium, in nearly new form because the initial depreciation's just a wee bit too steep. Then i'd spend £350 on the OEM looking, chinese aftermarket head unit that's basically a PC and does everything from GPS / tomtom mapping to TV & DVD.
Last edited by: Skoda on Wed 22 Sep 10 at 11:43
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Redviper
>> I think it was more a failure of Renaults marketing

Re poor marketing

This "megane Experiment" I dont see how this would persuade me to go out and by a megane, to me its seems to be taking the mick, out of us.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - mikeyb
A friend bought one about 18 months ago, but only paid about 13K brand new. Think its a decent spec one to. He is happy with it, but it has been back for a few warranty issues that were present when he got it. Few electrical things like a rear window, fag lighter and rear window demister didnt work. Leads me to believe that the dealer did a crap PDI and the build quality is not quite what it could be.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Avant
I am no Renault-basher (I had 7 in a row, all reliable, between 1980 and 2001). But the Koleos came late to the SUV scene, ahd an unmemorable name and didn't seem to have any obvious USP to distinguish it.

If I were you, Bobby, I'd put the Skoda Yeti on the shortlist.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Iffy
"Kuga, Kuga." chanted a lone voice in the wilderness.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Avant
"KU-GA" - yes, the sort of noise that a lone voice - not necessarily human - might cry in a wilderness!

Seriously, not a lone voice, Iffy: I'd look at the Kuga as well, and also the VW Tiguan if only to see whether it was worth the extra money over the Yeti.
Last edited by: Avant on Thu 23 Sep 10 at 00:20
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - kb
........."and also the VW Tiguan if only to see whether it was worth the extra money over the Yeti". ....

Would be pleased to see you go for the Skoda, Avant. I'm just starting to look a little more seriously and you can get one first and find out all the highs and lows :-) For me it would be auto - therefore DSG....and that is available on a diesel as well as the 105 bhp 1.2 petrol.

I'd be interested to know if you felt that the Skoda has a higher driving position to ease access.

The 'park assist' option looks a bit of a novelty.

Loads of clips on Youtube - some better than others.

Local dealer just told me nothing available till first quarter of next year.

Drivethedeal is doing about three grand off some models but don't know about delivery times.
Well the dealer I called into on my way past didn't have any Koleos in so didn't get a look.

My head is telling me to wait another year before changing, till next summer anyway. I have a bad habit of buying cars and keeping them for 3 years and suffering all the depreciation.

When I got the Altea, it was between it and an old style CRV, I loved the shape, the look of the CRV but the dashboard did nothing for me and the features were very basic without things like variable intermittant wipe etc.

If I wait to next summer then my choice will be ix35. Sportage or Kuga. The first two are too new to be on second hand market and buyers are experiencing all sorts of supply issues. Tiguan isn't different enough from an MPV for my liking.

Sat in a Kuga Titanium, love the shape etc but inside was a bit of a let down - I don't know if its just as it is very "Ford" (nothing wrong with that) but there was no "excitement" about it. However at this moment I could get an ex dealer Kuga Titanium 59 plate for the same price as the Koleos- I think I know which would be worth more in 3 years although that Kuga is only 2WD.!

Tried the Yeti - love Skodas but his didn't float my boat, too square, very much reminded me of a bloated Fiat Panda.

Re Skoda's earlier comment re Santa Fe, also sat in one of these in the showroom, think they were brand new Irish imports and they had radios in them that wouldn't have looked out of place in a 1980's Vauxhall Cavalier!!
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Zero
I have you thought about the Mitsubishi ASX?
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - DP
I like the Koleos. A neighbour has one, and it's quite a handsome beast. As are most Renaults these days.

Just bear in mind that maintenance costs on the bigger / more complex Renaults, particularly as they age, can have you reaching for the whisky bottle. I would recommend getting rid at 3 yrs old, or at least taking out a good independent warranty.
Just cos I copied you with the Altea and Scenic dopesn't mean I am going to continue ..... :)
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Zero
I don't have an ASX! you would be better than me.

Seriously tho, check it out. I would.
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Auntie Lockbrakes
New KIA Sportage gets my vote any day. Anyone driven one yet?
Saw an ASX on Saturday, really not sure of that corporate front. You kind of get away with it on a Colt or even Lancer but when it is much higher off the ground I am not so sure....

Also, just remembered about the 4008 / C Crosser / Outback combination as well!
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - madf
Just looked at the picture of one for the first time.

In my view, anyone who buys one with their own money has a surfeit of money and a deficit of good taste.

Given Renault's well known inability to make electrics work relaibly in the UK climate, I would imagine the only people buying one lack common sense as well as taste ....or an inability to do basic research - like all the Corsa broken camshaft owners and the Mazda diesel owners....
 Renault Koleos SUV - Thoughts? - Angus
I own a 58 plate Koleos. I've had Renaults since about 1995 and liked most of them (except the wiggle your bum Megane - which creaked and needed a new rear axle...)

Had a Megane RX4 previously which was a great 4x4 and we loved it.

Thought we'd have a similar experience with a nice new 4x4 - not!

Just under two years old and it's had to have a new engine (big ends gone), the aircon compressor blew up (electrical fire), and now the starter has packed up. Seems to spend most of its time at the dealers these days.

This has put me off Renaults (even though this is mostly Nissan!)
>>This has put me off Renaults (even though this is mostly Nissan!)<<

But is it *mostly Nissan* I wonder ... It's built by Renault Samsung Motors in Busan, Korea, for starters, and although based on the Nissan Qashqai/X-Trail platform, I'll wager your naughty bits are straight out of a French parts bin.

My 'Made in England' Almera has been as good as gold over the last 5 years, although it did require new wiper blades a few Winters ago.
Latest Forum Posts