Motoring Discussion > Cold Turkey Miscellaneous
Thread Author: idle_chatterer Replies: 19

Cold Turkey - idle_chatterer
More self-indulgence (pity even)....

It's nearly a month since I handed back my 330d, I haven't driven anything since, in fact in my ex-pat world many people don't have cars as the public transport is excellent, taxis are cheap and you can't actually drive very far (or fast) between the jams and lights.

But I really miss driving, there - I admitted it.... I'm actually looking forward to a Hertz Fiesta when I'm next in Blighty, it will be like getting my first Mini when I was 17 all over again, personal mobility and all that.....

What's the longest you've gone without driving ?
 Cold Turkey - swiss tony
17 years......... ;-)
 Cold Turkey - Iffy
...17 years......... ;-)

Rape or armed robbery?

Cold Turkey - swiss tony
>> ...17 years......... ;-)
>>
>> Rape or armed robbery?
>>
>>
Neither - from birth till I got a licence!
(although, if I'm honest I did drive a car @ 15 years old, on private land.)
 Cold Turkey - Runfer D'Hills
VG Swiss !

...about 72 hours ! Even on holiday I sometimes promise myself that I'll not bother hiring something but I always do. I'm not good at being in the same place for too long.

You hear of people who say they've been somewhere and never left the complex or whatever. I'd go stir crazy and I like my own transport even if it's only a little moped or something. Cars now of course with more bodies to transport.

I often find myself in European cities for a day or two with work. Don't always want or need a car but often think I'd hire a scooter or some such if they were readily available. Maybe they are.
 Cold Turkey - swiss tony
>> VG Swiss !
>>
I had a feeling Humph would suss me! ;-)
 Cold Turkey - MD
Got to say Tone it wasn't good cover. :-o)
 Cold Turkey - swiss tony
>> Got to say Tone it wasn't good cover. :-o)
>>
well.... it took iffy in - and who else I wonder?
 Cold Turkey - Londoner
>> What's the longest you've gone without driving ?
When I lived in Switzerland, I went without driving for 14 months. I had my own car with me, but didn't need to use it. The public transport system was excellent.

I didn't miss driving one bit.

That probably makes me an outcast on this forum, but I'm afraid that it is true.

Sorry. :-(
 Cold Turkey - R.P.
Dunno probably a week or so the only events I can remember was a torn ligament in my ankle, and certain holidays - truth be told I miss the bikes more than the car.
 Cold Turkey - Netsur
Regularly go two days without driving. If I'm busy doing other things I'm happy not to drive.
 Cold Turkey - Bellboy
....................oh thought it was boxing day already
 Cold Turkey - R.P.
BB, Shouldn't that statement appear on BBD's thrashing thread ?
 Cold Turkey - Bellboy
probably
as the events- presents-- themselves
 Cold Turkey - -
As a young husband and dad money was very tight and i just couldn't afford a car for a couple of years, still driving trucks though and used an old Batavus moped me lovely old mum no longer used to get to work.

Saw a rusty white Land Crab that needed a new clutch so bought it, put a clutch in and gave it a coat of red re-paint (absolute rubbish, looked like you'd painted it with a yard brush) and that was the last time i was car less.
 Cold Turkey - Bellboy
repaint was good stuff but you cant go from blue to red in one coat :-)
 Cold Turkey - idle_chatterer
Humph, that's exactly how I feel, Mrs I-C thinks I'm mad, I haven't even got my bike (it's on a slow boat to China and all that) and even then I wonder how I can ride it without being killed since I'm in the least cyclist-friendly place I've ever encountered.

Very frustrated biped....
 Cold Turkey - Mapmaker
Happily go a month without driving my car. Doesn't often happen, but sometimes does. Very seldom does it get driven between Monday morning and Friday night.
 Cold Turkey - Bagpuss
I was unable to drive for a month about 3 years ago due to a driving ban. It was the longest 30 days of my life.
 Cold Turkey - AshT
About a couple of months a few years back, after a rather nasty accident. Absolutely hated being reliant on other people to get around, and couldn't wait to get back behind the wheel.

Rather amusingly (at least it is now) Helphire phoned a couple of weeks after the accident asking if they could have their hire car back please - I'd already told my insurers there was no need for a hire car as I'd been told I wouldn't be able to drive for a couple of months. I let them know I'd drive their car back to them as soon as I was in a fit state to do so.
Latest Forum Posts