Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 17

Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - legacylad
Acquaintance has a 2007 Golf 2.0 Tdi, bought from a family member when it was 3yo when it had high motorway miles on the clock.
Living in a rural area, lots of stop/start so occasionally has to be taken for a blast to turn off the DPF warning light. It does go on the occasional long run..just back from a 450 mile round trip on a holiday, where it averaged 65+ mpg.
Current mileage 140k, and it’s just had £450 of MOT work inc new discs and pads.
He likes the driving characteristics of a diesel, never tows anything, or drives in cities and is seriously considering replacing it with another Golf 2.0 diesel.
Nothing wrong with the car, to the best of his knowledge, but fancies a change after 13 years.

I’m not commenting one way or the other...he’s not bothered about handling and getting a good ‘driving experience’ but appreciates a well screwed together car...certainly isn’t bothered about a touch screen or all the modern day bells and whistles.

He drives about 7k miles a year tops...so theoretically he shouldn’t buy a diesel.

What do you think ?
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Runfer D'Hills
I think if he fancies a change and especially if he’s the sort to keep his cars a long time, he should probably just buy whatever pleases him. Tough to argue a case for a diesel on such low annual mileage but if that’s his preference and he’s aware of the potential pitfalls, then why not. It might not hold its value as well as a petrol now but if he has no intention of selling it for a long time then that becomes a bit irrelevant.
Maybe encourage him to test drive a variety of alternatives with different engines to see if he could get on with them. Some apparently small petrol engines are much more powerful than they used to be (as you will know from personal experience)
On balance though, if his current car is running fine, suits his needs and preferences etc, it would make a lot of sense just to keep going with that until it stops being useful.

Well, he definitely fancies a change. It will probably be his last car.
A few months ago he test drove a Mazda 3…I don’t know the exact spec but it didn’t float his boat.
Particularly disliked the centre screen which he found‘distracting’.
And the idea of a HUD…probably very distracting bit I love ‘em
Well, if it’s likely to be a long term and last car, he should probably just get whatever he likes and wants.
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Zero
Well if he buys a new golf, he is gonna get all the stuff he don't like anyway.
>> Well if he buys a new golf, he is gonna get all the stuff he
>> don't like anyway.
>>
Exactly. Family member has one on order..I think he’ll be surprised when he sees all the touch screen stuff.
Personally I’d be looking at a Yaris Cross or similar, although he wants a better quality interior…so an A3.
Best keeping cake hole shut just in case it goes pear shaped !
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Dave_
Sounds like he should be looking at a pre-AdBlue 2.0TDI Golf/Octavia/Leon/A3/Yeti up to about 2016/7. That's around the time they switched buttons for touchscreens; manual handbrakes for EPBs; and made the emissions kit more touchy.
My 2016 Octavia is on 136k now and has just gained a clean MoT pass. I also like the driving characteristics of a diesel, SWMBO's 1.2 Yeti is perfectly capable but the drivetrain feels a bit less weighty than is ideal for me.
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Lygonos

Audi A4 with a 2.0 petrol turbo for under 30k on drivethedeal with non-moron 17" wheels.

Still an Audi though isn’t it, and well, you know…
;-)
Nothing wrong with Audi...I’ll have you know I owned a B reg 80 Sport.
It was third hand, bought from a friend.

As was this G reg car driven by JC. I loved that car. Again bought third hand. Wish I had it now.m.youtube.com/watch?v=VEmEcu0Ngq8&pp=ygUVdG9wIGdlYXIgYXVkaSBxdWF0dHJv

That exact car, I kid you not, and test driven only a few miles north from where I reside now.
Life’s full of amazing coincidences.
My missus got me the video as a birthday present from the team at Pebble Mill.
Last edited by: legacylad on Tue 13 Jun 23 at 22:12
Not denying they used to be cool. A long time ago. ;-)
Indeed....I thought my six days a week 5 cylinder 2.4 VW Transporter was equally cool. Back in the day.

I lost the plot for a few decades, or more, but I’m now back in the groove :-)
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Dog
Back in the day, I tuned and road tested a proper Audi, not these 'ere VAG things they punt out today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Union#/media/File:2007-06-16_Auto_Union_1000_(Frontpartie).jpg
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - bathtub tom
>> Back in the day, I tuned and road tested a proper Audi,

You mean a blue exhaust smoke trailing, three cylinder, two stroke, DKW. I loved the sound of those engines.
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Dog
>>You mean a blue exhaust smoke trailing, three cylinder, two stroke, DKW. I loved the sound of those engines.

I don't remember it as a two stroke? .. Did a few Wartburg Knights in my time too :(
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Slightlyfatdirector
>>>>>Sounds like he should be looking at a pre-AdBlue 2.0TDI Golf/Octavia/Leon/A3/Yeti up to about 2016/7. That's around the time they switched buttons for touchscreens; manual handbrakes for EPBs; and made the emissions kit more touchy.

I agree with Dave. With the Golf's the last sensible ones are often referred to as the Mark 7.5 as they had some updates (admittedly the EPB) but not the full-blown touchscreen malarky.

I was looking at treating my wife to a Golf R to replace her Eos and we were considering new or 2nd hand and I thought the newer technology would be better. Thankfully we decided against it and went for a 2017 Golf GTI which has sensible tech with some buttons. What is touch-screen is perfectly fine and workable, whereas the newer Mark 8 stuff is a bit of a nightmare I hear.

As for Diesel v. Petrol, I didn't think that I would go back from diesel as I loved the engine characteristics and torque, but the newer petrols are streets ahead of the old stuff I remember (1999 Mondeo) and I am very happy with a petrol turbo now.

Oh, For what it's worth, he would have so much more fun for his small annual mileage in a Golf GTI than a diesel. It's quite intoxicating.... :)
Good call on a Gti Mk 7.5
FWIW he’s just turned 80 so ‘having fun’ doesn’t really come into his motoring requirements.

I think an A3, or Lexus UX ( he appreciates cabin quality over driving dynamics) would suit him, although not sure he’s ready for an auto (CVT) after a lifetime with a manual box…good headlights and a reversing camera are on the priority list.
 Volkswagen Golf V - Would you buy a diesel ? - Boxsterboy
>> Sounds like he should be looking at a pre-AdBlue 2.0TDI Golf/Octavia/Leon/A3/Yeti up to about 2016/7.
>> That's around the time they switched buttons for touchscreens; manual handbrakes for EPBs; and made
>> the emissions kit more touchy.
>> My 2016 Octavia is on 136k now and has just gained a clean MoT pass.
>> I also like the driving characteristics of a diesel, SWMBO's 1.2 Yeti is perfectly capable
>> but the drivetrain feels a bit less weighty than is ideal for me.
>>

EXACTLY this
Latest Forum Posts