Motoring Discussion > Taking a dipstick reading Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 22

Taking a dipstick reading - L'escargot
I always read the dipstick after the car has stood overnight. I pull out the dipstick and take the reading ~ none of this withdrawing the dipstick, wiping it, re-inserting it and then withdrawing it again. Withdrawing the dipstick drags oil up the dipstick tube and this oil sticks to the dipstick if you re-insert it and withdraw it again.

It might not be what the manufacturer recommends, but the way I do it I get a nice clear reading.

How do you do it?
 Taking a dipstick reading - Clk Sec
I've always done it the way you don't.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Old Navy
I'm with you Snail, the only way to get a consistant result. When an engine has settled down, and not having "run one in" for many years, (cars), I haven't had a car that used oil for ages. I believe in driving a car normally from minute one, just don't use max revs for the first 500 miles.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Cliff Pope
I agree - with modern narrow dipstick tubes there is no choice.
My old tractor, and cars I have owned in the past, have a dipstick tube about 3/4 inch wide, the stick is located in the centre with a springy sleeve. So it gives a nice clear reading, no misleading capilary effect, and no oil dragged up the tube.
Also the stick is a real solid piece of engineering with a knob on the end, like a poker, not a length of bendy wire. And the tube is mounted somewhere accessable and visible, not lurking in the dark.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Biggles
No dipstick on the XF, just press a button 10 minutes after switching the engine off.
>> No dipstick on the XF, just press a button 10 minutes after switching the engine
>> off.
>>

So your engines lifeblood level depends on electricery, I bet thats never been known to fail.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Iffy
Cheapo plastic dipstick in the CC3.

I take a couple of readings to be on the safe side.

The car doesn't use oil between services, so I tend not to check it more than once every two or three months.

A friend's BMW Mini Cooper S has started to use oil.

She found this out when she couldn't get a reading because the level was beneath the bottom of the dipstick.

The Mini dealer told her anything up to half a litre every 1,000km is acceptable.
Last edited by: Iffy on Mon 4 Oct 10 at 09:12
 Taking a dipstick reading - Runfer D'Hills
This thread has caused me to scold myself slightly. The Mondeo, the Qashqai and indeed the late Ka have never used oil between services either. Resultantly I have become lazy about checking and should force myself to do so in case one of them suddenly starts to.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Fenlander
There are many modern cars that will give a false reading with your method L'escargot. It is common for the dipstick to form a seal at the top of the tube which can mean a false lower reading is shown until the dipstick is withdrawn and pushed back which allows the oil to rise to the correct indication.
...It is common for the dipstick to form a seal at the top of the tube...

Certainly is.

Try running with the dipstick out, particularly at high revs, and you will soon have a sooty oily mess on the underside of the bonnet and on the engine.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Fenlander
>>>Try running with the dipstick out, particularly at high revs, and you will soon have a sooty oily mess on the underside of the bonnet and on the engine.

From experience iffy?
...From experience iffy?...

Someone at the garage I use to work at managed to leave the dipstick out before taking a customer's car for a road test.

The mess was spotted and cleaned before the customer collected the car.

Most cars seem to run some pressure in the sump and will blow if the dipstick - or oil filler cap - is left off.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Dave_
>> No dipstick

>> so your engines lifeblood level depends on electricery, I bet thats never been known to fail

Same with my dad's C270CDI. He's always maintained his cars fastidiously, I swear he winces slightly when the digital readout promises a full oil level. Nothing gone bang on it in 80k miles and 6 years however.
>> Nothing gone bang on it
>> in 80k miles and 6 years however.
>>

That must be better than an unused dipstick, I must be of your dad's generation, I would twitch too. :)
 Taking a dipstick reading - Dave_
You are :) Funny thing is, my boss has an ML with the same engine and that does have a dipstick...
 Taking a dipstick reading - Old Sock

>> How do you do it?

I usually wait until the oil pressure warning light flickers during hard cornering.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Bellboy
Chrysler alpines had dipstick low level warnings on the dash
ive never trusted non manual checking since
 Taking a dipstick reading - Mapmaker
My father had an Alpine. The oil warning light used to come on when on holiday in France and the weather was very hot.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Mike Hannon
>> No dipstick

>> so your engines lifeblood level depends on electricery, I bet thats never been known to fail

I couldn't live with that. The C3 has a level check system of lights but you can pull a dipstick out as well.
And there was me thinking it might be nice to have an XF a few years down the road. Not now I think.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Victorbox
Engine at normal temperature, left to stand on level ground for 10 minutes. Dipstick out, wipe clean, back into engine, out again - read level. Simples.
 Taking a dipstick reading - DP
>> Engine at normal temperature, left to stand on level ground for 10 minutes. Dipstick out,
>> wipe clean, back into engine, out again - read level. Simples.

Snap.

Usually while cursing VW's decision to use a black dipstick in a diesel engine. Turns oil level checking from a quick glance to a kind of myopic "where's my specs" squint. Muppetry!

Taking a dipstick reading - Redviper
Vectra C

Manufactuer instructs that the oil is checked, 5 minutes after switching off the engine at normal operating temp

Why? I do not know and what difference it makes 1st thing when all the oil has drained back to the sump.

on another note my Laguna's had a really supid tiny dipstick located in a impossible place, but had a graph thing on the dash that did it for you. -

But i always checked it the proper way.
 Taking a dipstick reading - Glaikit Wee Scunner Snr. {P}
A friend tells me his new model BMW 325 has no dipstick and the oil reading has to be measured with the engine running. Being a mechanical type he asked was the car dry sumped then?
No.
Latest Forum Posts