Motoring Discussion > Honda CR-V III - Servicing
Thread Author: Phil F Replies: 19

Honda CR-V III - Servicing - Phil F
Hi all,I have a CRV 2013 2.2 diesel auto,which has been totally reliable and now reached 140,000 miles with,to be honest,minimal servicing.It’s due for a major service now,just wondering what this would sensibly require,I am not a fan of unnecessary car maintenance.I have noticed recently that it’s quite clattery on cold start,more so than the usual diesel clatter and strangely enough seems to be worse when the ambient temperature is warm rather than cold which would make more sense to me….timing chain rattle maybe,it’s original??…Cheers,Phil.
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - Runfer D'Hills
I wouldn’t be able to help with your diagnosis Phil, but I’ve run a lot of vehicles to very high mileages without problems.
I’ve always kept them fully serviced though, even if the later ones have been at independent garages.
I take the view that it’s a bit like your body, if you look after it, it’ll look after you.
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - Dog
Chop it in for a £40,000 EV, they don't have engines or gearboxes and are quite quiet.

:)
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - VxFan
Welcome back Phil.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure a lot of car manufacturers recommend changing the timing chain at 100,000 miles. Nothing lasts forever unfortunately, and if it goes, unless it's a non interference engine, the engine will be basically written off.

I would check with Honda what their recommendation is for changing it.
Thank you VxFan,and everyone for your replies.I think I have been a member of this forum for nearly 15 years now,haven’t visited for ages as have been paying too much attention to other internet twaddle lol!Nice to see some people from the early days still here.
Anyway,I seem to have got it in my head that timing chains last the life of an engine,wrong!Think I’m out of touch with this motoring lark,also being a Honda it just keeps going…forever!Another topic related to my out of touchness :),how did new car prices get so insane?…there is a Volvo dealership down the road and I could buy a house for the same price as some of their cars…wow!
And £5k appears to be banger territory now….
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - Zero

>> just keeps going…forever!Another topic related to my out of touchness :),how did new car prices
>> get so insane?…there is a Volvo dealership down the road and I could buy a
>> house for the same price as some of their cars…wow!

Let me know where you live, I'd like to buy some £50/60k houses.
 Honda CR-V III - Timing chain - Fenlander
I don't get on here to post these days but have a read now and again but did pick up on this post.

A reliable timing chain system as most are will often last the life of a car... if it has the correct spec oil changes at the correct intervals... in fact I believe the intervals need to be shortened if you want the best chance of taking the chain to its maximum life and that's what I do. Also using not just the correct oil grade but one meeting the makers spec. Mrs F's Mercedes is on 160k at 16yrs old with not a murmur from the chain. Miss F has just sold a Jazz at a similar mileage and 20yrs old with again a quiet original chain.

Rather than the chain itself failing the chain's tensioner can fail or reach the end of its travel due to a stretched chain hence causing the chain to flap about and fail as a consequence.

The tensioners suffer if oil changes are skipped or extended.

I'm pretty sure your engine has a second shorter chain too that drives the oil pump which can also fail in extreme circumstances scrapping the engine.

If you think your chain/s may be noisy get them checked before you risk big bills.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Fri 16 Jun 23 at 11:58
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - VxFan
>> Anyway, I seem to have got it in my head that timing chains last the life of an engine, wrong!

The engines life relies on the chain being healthy. Should it fail, then the engine dies.
Just asked at our local Honda dealership for a quote for replacing the timing chain…”Can’t give a price as it’s a non-serviceable item,lasts the lifetime of the engine”….interesting.
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - carmalade
Clatter on start up could be injectors in trouble. They don’t last forever as the pintles wear out . Timing chain on these is a major job . Probably write the car off . It’s the sprockets that wear down , rather than the chain itself.
carmalade...Thanks for that.
 Honda CR-V III - Servicing - Falkirk Bairn
Give the car some V-Power diesel / Redex Diesel cleaner and a "good run" - might just be the difference between a loud rattle and an acceptable tinkle as it warms up.
Thanks,it does about 800 miles a week on the motorway.I use supermarket fuel usually but,as you say,I will try some decent stuff lol!
>> Give the car some V-Power diesel / Redex Diesel cleaner and a "good run" - might just be the
>> difference between a loud rattle and an acceptable tinkle as it warms up.

Hi,just wondering,do you still have your CRV?
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Jul 23 at 10:31
>>do you still have your CRV?

Yes, we have yet to agree on what car - Corolla Cross still not announced in UK.

On paper to be " a good fit" but until you sit in it /test drive it we will not know.

Yaris Cross too small / lacking a bit of go, 2 ltr CHR had the go but my wife said the back was too cramped(despite only 2 of us most of the time) - also now run out cars as new model has been announced - despite the new car garages not offering clearance pricing!

Funnily enough the Corolla Cross is available in RHD but that is Eire only - strange!!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Fri 7 Jul 23 at 08:16
>> >>do you still have your CRV?
>>
>> Yes, we have yet to agree on what car - Corolla Cross still not announced in UK.

Thanks,I do like the CRV,mine's been brilliant!Please let me know if you ever do sell it,I suspect it's in rather good nick?...and the EX model?
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 7 Jul 23 at 10:20
One owner/one driver EX Auto - FSH all receipts / stamped book

All original apart from pads, tyres, front spring (pothole?) exhaust & battery. Paint & wheels 100% original, no Chips Away, but the odd stone chip, worst chips are on the unkerbed wheels.

Inside is as new as you can get in a 10 year old car, no cuts scrapes.

Great car only let down by being thirsty and a bit slow off the mark.

Why am I looking to change? My wife has hip issues getting in and I have an itch to buy a car, probably my last car.

I have had 40+ cars in 60 years driving + 3 motorcycles - lots of company cars for 25+ years and 50+ years bought cars for myself, wife & kids, when they were still at home /university.
>> One owner/one driver EX Auto - FSH all receipts / stamped book
>>

Sounds great,I take it is petrol?...Mileage?
EX Petrol, Auto 57K - only really used on say 3 days a week but gets a decent run of 30/40 miles every week - 250 miles Sunday past.

I used to drive a lot more but walking is an issue since my Chemo 13 years ago.

Chemo issues was the reason for the EX auto - my Xtrail manual had been great.
Thank you,nice one...hope you get sorted with a car soon and you keep well.
Latest Forum Posts